Why not use torrents?   

Why not use torrents?

Postby RJ45 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:33 pm

Hello,
Why no bypass those delaying, annoying fileshare-sites by uploading torrents? Wouldnt that be better for everyone?:think:

regards, RJ45
RJ45 offline

Postby tomtomnavi » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:58 am

Agreed totally
tomtomnavi offline

Postby Downunder35m » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:53 am

I agree too, but from our experience the problem is the sharing itself:
1. you need someone to create the torrent and seed the initial file(s)
2. you need a lot of people to share the files for a long time to keep them alive

For 1. I must say that there won't be too many team members with good line speeds and unlimited traffic.
And for 2. the problem is that most users don't even offer a mirror to the files we upload. I personally have files with over 3000 downloads, but not a single user provided by a user and just about 20 thanks for the files.
We have an Uploader/Releaser team and new members that will stay active are always welcome.
If you are willing to provide torrents on safe trackers for the files you already downloaded and you affort the traffic on your line feel free to share.
But keep in mind that for torrents you will need checksums too, otherwise you end with a lot of crap files coming from other trackers and noone knows wich files are good.
Forum rules

[Please Register or Login to download file]

If you find broken links or missing attachments in my postings, please send me PM
Password for all my files: downunder
Downunder35m offline

User avatar Elite Member

Postby tendriver » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:14 am

RJ45 wrote:Hello,
Why no bypass those delaying, annoying fileshare-sites by uploading torrents? Wouldnt that be better for everyone?:think:

regards, RJ45

tomtomnavi wrote:Agreed totally

How much are you guys paying to download your maps on Navitotal?
If download speed is a problem, keep in mind that maps download real fast at TomTom.com.
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby RJ45 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:56 pm

tendriver wrote:How much are you guys paying to download your maps on Navitotal?
If download speed is a problem, keep in mind that maps download real fast at TomTom.com.

Thanks for replying.
I dont see what it has to do with paying or not. If one would pay for an account on a filesharingsite, the download would be fast and the parts could be downloaded simultanious. But I would rather donate that money to navitotal then to a filesharing site.

Although my uploadbandwidth is quite small, I would be happy to make a contribution and seed, for example, the new 865 tomtom maps for the next 12 months on my server.
Well, in any case I will make a torrent for the map I 'm busy downloading.

regards, RJ45
RJ45 offline

Postby Balrog » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:17 pm

An alternative that I like is [Please Register or Login to download file] . Excellent file management on upload (multiple files/directories), direct d/l w/o delays. Free 5G per email, unlimited downloading. (another complaint about filefactory: they just gave me an All d/l slots full - try again later)
Balrog offline

Postby wapvirus » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:45 pm

Torrents are great if people are willing to share and seed the problem is leaching ,Also the cost of a seed box for that much storage :)
wapvirus offline

Postby RJ45 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:48 pm

Ah, now I 'm getting a more complete picture: [Please Register or Login to download file] :doh:
btw, thanks for your comprehensive answer Downunder35.
RJ45 offline

Postby Balrog » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:55 pm

Yep. [Please Register or Login to download file] is still a good deal - might be a prototype site before they go full market
Balrog offline

Postby Downunder35m » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:58 am

In case of the fileshoster I can tell you that basically no one here makes any money with it.
Reason is simple :
1. you need to provide some personal info at one point
2. our links die faster than a fly on the wall and you won't get any money out of that.

We do our best to keep all links alive, but it does not always work out well.
Forum rules

[Please Register or Login to download file]

If you find broken links or missing attachments in my postings, please send me PM
Password for all my files: downunder
Downunder35m offline

User avatar Elite Member

Postby RJ45 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:23 am

Ah, I see. Could have been a compromise between covering some costs and still offering free downloads. No offense.
RJ45 offline

Postby nabi » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:28 pm

Unfortunately, no. Server is still paid by the ads here.

What may be not clear so far - for me reading Downunder's reply, could be clear to you - is that should be added that the hosters only pay a reward for downloaded legal content.
This needs no further explanation, I believe.
I won't answer to any PM, so don't send me any
nabi offline

Ex Super Mod

Postby Gerry5039 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:17 pm

I have a 50mb internet connection with 1.6mb upload, every single time I go to a torrent site to download anything I get the slow speed download and everyone then bangs it off me as fast as I get it.

I am not there to give people faster speeds while mine goes slower because of them, also I do not trust nor like torrents any longer, too many spreading virii in their files. I dont download from filefactory either, I find the file elsewhere on the internet because I have noticed that everyone uses many different paid dowload sites, and it gets bloody expensive to keep paying for them, I already pay for three Filesonic, Megaupload, and Rapidshare.

I am actually thinking now of paying for my maps as they are offering 6 maps, (18 Months) for £19.99 now Filefactory is $79.00 for the year and a further $39 for six months to download, that would give me 5 years maps from TomTom if I pay $10 for 30 days thats $60 for the six maps, I can get 3 years. And all legal, I have really enjoyed getting my maps and help from here, I come here mainly for help from Tendriver he is brilliant, but it has now become a very expensive job with everyone using different file servers.

I will still keep visiting and if I can contribute I will.

Edit: Price quoted = Tomtom UK maps only, I should have stipulated that.
Gerry5039 offline

User avatar Junior Member

Postby bigbelly2359 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:44 am

in my experience, there is nothing wrong with the excellent way the guys here at navitotal organise how we can get free maps, voices, speedcams, truely excellent support etc etc.
i use a little program called jdownloader, do a search on google, it loads all the files and you walk away, come back a little later and everything is on your drive already unziped as well.

i have been involved in the warez scene for over 15 years and have seen many different things come and go, have been admin on many sites as well and it amazes me the way some people comment without really knowing all the hard work that goes into getting this stuff out to the masses.

when i started everything was on painful dial up 56k with all the associated drop outs and connection timeouts :) things really have come a long way.

to finish

[size=100]A Big Thank You to all at NaviTotal[/size]
bigbelly2359 offline

Postby Fatboyfun » Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:22 pm

I remember the days of it taking all evening to download a dozen mp3's over dial-up...
Fatboyfun offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Next

Return to > Maps v8XX