UK and ROI 890.4222 with Automatic Installer & Patcher   

UK and ROI 890.4222 with Automatic Installer & Patcher

Postby bheart » Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:14 pm

Hi

I've got a query with reference to 'file type' of an 890 Map that I've just downloaded

The map is United Kingdom and Republic of Ireland 890.4222 with Automatic Installer & Patcher and, although I have WinRAR installed, the file does not show a .RAR file, so I'm not sure if there has been a download error or if it's a file type I've not seen before.

The file size as shown by the 'properties' is 198 MB (208,066,642 bytes) and the file type is just shown as 'file' with a white icon and the description is shown as 'United.

The instructions on the navitotal website states that I should just click on the .exe to install it but when I click on the file, I just get a dialogue window asking me what to open it with.

Update! I've just downloaded the 'normal' version of UK & ROI map 890 and after download the file size in properties of the file is shown as 196 MB (206,546,972 bytes and the file size shown by the file on navitotal is only 187MB?

By the way, the version I downloaded last night was the automatic installer and patcher map and that had a white icon and did not display it was a .rar file but, the normal version I downloaded this morning also had a white icon but did display that it was a .rar file?

I've downloaded hundreds of .rar files over the years and providing that the user has winrar installed, the file displays a .rar icon after download but with these last two files, that is not the case.

I'm now thinking that it may be the version of WinRAR that is causing the issues I'm getting. Is that possible?

I'm using WinRAR 4.01 and if I remember correctly, the navitotal website recommends v3.9x.

Can anyone help please?
bheart offline

Postby tendriver » Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:20 pm

bheart wrote:Can anyone help please?

Yep. Right click the "white" icon, left click Rename & add .rar to the name.
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby bheart » Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:19 pm

Hi tendriver

Thanks for your reply.

Yep, that worked just fine.

I've installed the latest UK&ROI map with NC 9.430 on my TT30 IQR and though I've not tried it out on the road yet, it appears to work just ok but i have a few questions to ask:

1. I've noticed that when I turn on the device after updating, I get the new 'batman' startup splash screen and from that point, it seems to take longer to boot and get to the desktop (not sure what it's called on a satnav) - is there any reason why it's now taking longer to boot?

2. When I turn off the device, I get the startup splash screen again. Why do I not get the 'anti theft' splash screen? (It is there in the root of the device).

2. With regard to the 'bootloader' and what version you need to use with the latest map/nc.

3. I wiped my TT30 and installed the software as mention above but there was no bootloader so I copied v5.5136 from my TT XXL Classic. Is that version ok or is there a later version for the latest maps and navcore?

4. Last Q and that is with regard to formatting my TT 30 IQR before adding the new software - after I had activated everything and turned on the device, I still had some of my previous preferences already chosen. Is there a way to completely wipe the device so that we start from 'new'?

Thanks again, bheart
bheart offline

Postby tendriver » Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:13 am

bheart wrote:Hi tendriver

Thanks for your reply.

Yep, that worked just fine.

I've installed the latest UK&ROI map with NC 9.430 on my TT30 IQR and though I've not tried it out on the road yet, it appears to work just ok but i have a few questions to ask:

1. I've noticed that when I turn on the device after updating, I get the new 'batman' startup splash screen and from that point, it seems to take longer to boot and get to the desktop (not sure what it's called on a satnav) - is there any reason why it's now taking longer to boot?

2. When I turn off the device, I get the startup splash screen again. Why do I not get the 'anti theft' splash screen? (It is there in the root of the device).

3. With regard to the 'bootloader' and what version you need to use with the latest map/nc.

4. I wiped my TT30 and installed the software as mention above but there was no bootloader so I copied v5.5136 from my TT XXL Classic. Is that version ok or is there a later version for the latest maps and navcore?

5. Last Q and that is with regard to formatting my TT 30 IQR before adding the new software - after I had activated everything and turned on the device, I still had some of my previous preferences already chosen. Is there a way to completely wipe the device so that we start from 'new'?

Thanks again, bheart

1. It is very common for a unit to take longer to completely boot after updating. This issue goes away after several boots.
2. The start screen file should be titled "splashw.bmp" & the shutdown screen file should be titled "antitheftw.bmp".
3. Keep what you have.
4. It is not necessary to have a bootloader file, unless you wish/need to change it. The frst time a unit is booted with a new bootloader, it flashes the memory, then sits idle in the root of the unit for the rest of it's life.
5. We don't recommend formatting, except in the most critical cases. What previous preferences are you referring to?
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby bheart » Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:22 pm

tendriver wrote:1. It is very common for a unit to take longer to completely boot after updating. This issue goes away after several boots.
2. The start screen file should be titled "splashw.bmp" & the shutdown screen file should be titled "antitheftw.bmp".
3. Keep what you have.
4. It is not necessary to have a bootloader file, unless you wish/need to change it. The frst time a unit is booted with a new bootloader, it flashes the memory, then sits idle in the root of the unit for the rest of it's life.
5. We don't recommend formatting, except in the most critical cases. What previous preferences are you referring to?

Hi tendriver

Many thanks for your recent reply.

It was the Quick Menu preferences, they were still there after updating.

All understood except for the part when you say that you don't recommend formatting. I've normally done this each time I put a new map and nc on my devices but, can I ask you what is the recommended procedure to clear the device - especially before installing a new map and nc?

Just one further question. I have installed the same update to my TT 3rd Edition but when using the 'standalone"Quick Fix Update" tool, I'm not sure what GPS chipset the device uses? Can you tell me how to find out and if it's Global Locate or SiRFstar?

Thanks, bheart
bheart offline

Postby tendriver » Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:49 pm

bheart wrote:
1. It was the Quick Menu preferences, they were still there after updating.

2. All understood except for the part when you say that you don't recommend formatting. I've normally done this each time I put a new map and nc on my devices but,

3. can I ask you what is the recommended procedure to clear the device - especially before installing a new map and nc?

4. Just one further question. I have installed the same update to my TT 3rd Edition but when using the 'standalone"Quick Fix Update" tool, I'm not sure what GPS chipset the device uses? Can you tell me how to find out and if it's Global Locate or SiRFstar?

Thanks, bheart

1. If you do a clean install, Quick Menu preferences should be cleared.
2. If your unit is running smoothly before you update, then there is no need to format, which is used as a tool to correct problems.
3. I never clear my unit. For a navcore, I copy the new over the old, overwriting the common files, then add a SE ttsystem file. Reboot & done. For a map, out with the old map folder, in with the new map folder. Then transfer added POIs etc from the old to the new. Generate a .meta.dct file. Done.
4. It uses Global Locate.
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby tendriver » Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:16 pm

bheart wrote:When I turn off the device, I get the startup splash screen again. Why do I not get the 'anti theft' splash screen? (It is there in the root of the device).

The start screen file should be titled "splashw.bmp" & the shutdown screen file should be titled "antitheftw.bmp". Also, Go to Main Menu, Change preferences, Safety preferences, and confirm that "Warn me not to leave the device in the car" is checked.
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby mel123 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:01 am

HI,
i HAVE A TOMTOM GO 700 ,AND I CANNOT PATCH THE 890-4238 MAP.CAN SOMEBODY HELP.THANK YOU.I HAVE BEEN TRYING TO DO IT FOR 3 DAYS WITH NO LUCK.
MEL123
mel123 offline

Postby tendriver » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:57 am

mel123 wrote:HI,
i HAVE A TOMTOM GO 700 ,AND I CANNOT PATCH THE 890-4238 MAP.CAN SOMEBODY HELP.THANK YOU.I HAVE BEEN TRYING TO DO IT FOR 3 DAYS WITH NO LUCK.
MEL123

We can't help you without knowing which 890-4238 map you are referring to. Also how you are trying to patch it. We are good, but are not clairvoyant.
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby mel123 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:42 pm

Hi,
The map is western-europe_890_4238 and the navcore is 9.1.i tryed to patch it with easyactivator 5,and fastactivate 28.05.12 premium.Nothing worked.I keed getting (no maps display on my TomTom GO 700),
Thank you
mel123
mel123 offline

Postby tendriver » Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:26 pm

mel123 wrote:Hi,
The map is western-europe_890_4238 and the navcore is 9.1.i tryed to patch it with easyactivator 5,and fastactivate 28.05.12 premium.Nothing worked.I keed getting (no maps display on my TomTom GO 700
Thank you
mel123

Confirm that your navcore is patched.
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby mel123 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:11 pm

Hi,
Yes it is.
Regards mel123
mel123 offline

Return to > Maps v8XX