Newby seeking help plz   

Newby seeking help plz

Postby owlmike » Sun May 15, 2016 5:33 pm

Hello from Northern Ireland.
I have been given a GPS Sat Nav device for my motorcycle by a friend, who is not very computer literate. I can just about get by.
I am embarking on a 4000 motorcycle ride in aid of a children's charity and would dearly like to be able to use this GPS to its full potential.
All i know is this system is Navitotal.com and Igo Primo 2.
I have tried for days to install some routes saved on my pc from motogoloco.com but i cant get this device to find and load them.
Can this be done? if so, please tell me how, step by step and go easy with techy stuff.
Hoping someone can help.
Mike

ps: this is same device: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121784986754?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
owlmike offline

Re: Newby seeking help plz

Postby hairydog » Sun May 15, 2016 9:03 pm

You haven't explained why you want to do this.

The whole point of using iGo Primo is to tell it the places you want to go and let it plan the best route. It can use historical traffic speed data and real-time congestion information to work out the best way, after allowing for your preferences and the size, weight and speed of your vehicle.

I can see no sense in planning a static route on a website. Whether that website can save routes in a format that iGo Primo can load is difficult to tell, because you have to register to even try it. And I'm certainly not going to do that: they'll spam me!
hairydog offline

Postby holyhead » Sun May 15, 2016 10:27 pm

Have you cope the route (kml file) to directory: /primo/content/userdata/route/
holyhead offline

V.I.P Member

Postby owlmike » Mon May 16, 2016 9:11 am

Hi Holyhead, i cant find the file :"/primo/content/userdata/route/" on the sd card-- do i need to create one,? if so and i saved the .kml file there what option would it come under on the device? (I can see \primo2\content)
I connected the device to my pc by USB but my pc's or laptops dont recognise it so i take the sd card out of the device and view the files through pc that way.
owlmike offline

Postby owlmike » Mon May 16, 2016 9:15 am

Hairydog, the route i wish to take is specific to what i want to see and places i want to go, off the traditional routes in the Alps, i do not wish to trust the device whilst 2-up on a heavy laden very large motorcycle, on roads that are already tiny and on a bike not built for off road.
I have not seen some of the features you mentioned on the device i have? "size, weight and speed of your vehicle"
thanks for replying though.
owlmike offline

Postby holyhead » Mon May 16, 2016 9:34 am

I expect that primo is on your SD card. If so then you make in the folder content the folder userdata and in the folder userdata the
folder route, In the folder route you place the KML file. When you start Primo you can load the route.
holyhead offline

V.I.P Member

Postby hairydog » Mon May 16, 2016 10:32 am

owlmike wrote:I do not wish to trust the device whilst 2-up on a heavy laden very large motorcycle, on roads that are already tiny and on a bike not built for off road.
If you don't trust iGo, you shouldn't be using it at all. The more you use iGo the more you will appreciate how good it is.

As with any satnav app, it is vital to use it for routine journeys you are familiar with to learn how the app works and gain confidence and trust. Leave it till you start an unknown journey is asking for trouble.

I've been using iGo for many years and it has proved reliable - that website couldn't possibly be as good. What happens if one of the roads is blocked?
owlmike wrote:I have not seen some of the features you mentioned on the device i have? "size, weight and speed of your vehicle"
When you choose the vehicle to use for the route planning, you can instead choose to edit its parameters.

In addition, you can add entries in the sys.txt file to record that the vehicles go faster (or slower) than is considered "normal".
hairydog offline

Postby holyhead » Mon May 16, 2016 10:42 am

100.000 of more motorbikers plan every year routes on there computer and export them to there satnav. So I don,t understand what is against it for Igo Primo. You can do it on the satnav but with a lots of waypoints it is a hell of a job. And way that website couldn't possibly be as good. :lol:
holyhead offline

V.I.P Member

Postby hairydog » Mon May 16, 2016 3:30 pm

Why don't you ask some those hundreds of thousands the question instead asking here? It'd make more sense.

Just because you don't know how to use iGO properly doesn't mean it isn't the best tool for planning the route.
hairydog offline

Postby holyhead » Mon May 16, 2016 4:04 pm

I was not asking I was wondering. But your answer say,s enough :023:
holyhead offline

V.I.P Member

Postby owlmike » Tue May 17, 2016 9:28 am

Hi Guys, i was under the assumption that the entire point of a forum is to share and learn from the information that you have gained by extensive use and obvious knowledge.
I am asking for help and advise on this forum as you obviously know what you are talking about and i thought that was the idea.

Also, I am not knocking this piece of kit, i actually bought a brand new Tomtom Go 40 out of Halfords but took it back to favour of the much older iGo.

I have been using it the past week and i must say i am impressed so far.

I never said once i didnt trust the iGo, i said i had specific routes i wanted to plot off the main tourist routes and didn't want to get lost up the Alps on a big heavy bike.

So again any advice is very welcome as i would like to use it to its full potential, i would come back after my 5 week bike trip and share any info with you all of course.

Holyhead-- Thank you so much for your patience and answering my question quickly and easily, just one more, when i make the files on the SD card (sorry i thought i had mentioned this) where do i open the saved .kml route on the device itself please? i.e. is it under "Route" or "Waypoints" or what ever? thank you.

Hairydog-- your knowledge seems vast in this piece of kit and i greatly appreciate your input, but lighten up dude, you dont need to be so negative with someone you have never met, i really do want to learn how to use this device. Do you know how many biker sites there is on the internet? i am being specific and asking on the forum which i understood to be the best one to help me learn on this specific device and software. Thank you, please continue to advise if you wish as it will be greatly received.

"When in doubt, ask"
I own a Zoo, if anyone would like information on animals, please feel free to ask :)
Last edited by owlmike on Tue May 17, 2016 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
owlmike offline

Postby owlmike » Tue May 17, 2016 9:48 am

I forgot to mention: I downloaded the desktop software from www.naviextras.com (as suggested by: http://www.igonavigation.com/map-updates-and-extras) but it dosent seem to recognise my device when connected by USB, any help on this guys?? please :)
owlmike offline

Postby holyhead » Tue May 17, 2016 12:09 pm

Place the kml file in the folder Content\userdata\route
Restart Primo and go to
My route
more
load route

If you don,t see the route
exit Primo
Copy folder Save to your desktop
Delete folder Save
Restart the Primo again

Now it must be possible to load the route (KML file)
holyhead offline

V.I.P Member

Postby owlmike » Tue May 17, 2016 12:46 pm

Hi Holyhead, followed your instructions, but i cant see "My Route" or "More" etc also getting an error on start up "Unsupported voice - please see the log" ? Are you on Facebook? we could have a quick chat? My name is Mike Gibb picture of me holding a Barn Owl.
owlmike offline

Postby holyhead » Tue May 17, 2016 2:42 pm

No, I am not on facebook. I suppose that there is a folder Primo file on your SD Card.
In the folder primo is a file called Primo.exe to. If that is so then you can try the follewing,
Make a backup of the SD card and make it empty.

Download the program unpack and place the folder Primo with his content on the SD card.
Place the UK map (fbl file) in the folder content\map. Place it on your device and let's hope that it start.
When it works. THere is a UK kml file in the route so try to load and hopefully it works

[Please Register or Login to download file]
holyhead offline

V.I.P Member

Next

Return to Maps, buildings, dem, POI