old Kenwood (DNX 8120)   

old Kenwood (DNX 8120)

Postby odinson » Sun Sep 17, 2023 10:54 pm

Greetings,
I have a very old Garmin (Kenwood DNX 8120 from 2008). I've been able to keep it updated for 15 years by using MapInstall to copy just 3-4 tiles from each new unlocked City Navigator North America map. These few region maps cover much more than the areas I drive in. I then copy the small gmapsupp.img to the Kenwood using the rear USB cable plugged into a Windows laptop (another benefit of the small gmapsupp is that it takes only a minute to copy to the Kenwood/Garmin harddrive).

However last week I started my car for the first time in 3-4 days and all my saved Favorites had disappeared. (I think these are now called Waypoints in newer Garmins).

With occasional resets & problems with the unit in the past, I've had to reset the timezone or other things (such as the synching of the Kenwood audio clock with Garmin's satellite-dependent clock). However I've never lost saved locations before.

The problem is I can't figure out where the Kenwood / Garmin unit stores the addresses. When connected by USB the Garmin harddrive displays only the Voice and Vehicle folders (with custom vehicles I'd loaded to the unit years ago), the gmapsupp.img file, the necessary basemap (gmapbmap.img), and these:

fs_image.ver (1 kB) = ???

System Volume Information [hidden / system folder], contents:
WPSettings.dat (1 kB) = ???
IndexerVolumeGuid (1 kB) = ???

I'd like to re-enter and SAVE /backup my Favorites as easily as possible. I'm guessing the Favorites I've just manually re-entered are stored in some way Windows can't see, even with "view system files" enabled.

Map source and Basecamp don't display any saved locations. Does anyone know of a way to access them?

Another odd or annoying change: the font displaying street names has changed, and no amount of modification to the Settings > Map > Text Size will revert to the old, block letter style. (Now the street names appear with a large initial capital and very, very small, almost illegible letters for the rest of each word)
odinson offline

Re: old Kenwood (DNX 8120)

Postby GarmanNuvi » Tue Sep 19, 2023 4:11 am

odinson wrote:Map source and Basecamp don't display any saved locations. Does anyone know of a way to access them?

I don't have this unit but others have spoken about
Saving Your POI's From Your Kenwood DNX 7100 & DNX 8120
Back up your POI's from your Kenwood DNX 7100 & DNX 8120 to save & share with others......
It's easy Using "MapSource" & "Training Center"

Download both of these & run on your computer
Now hook your DNX unit up to your laptop using the "mini USB" port on the back of the DNX head and run "MapSource" and you can create, copy, load, track & much more..........
Source: [Please Register or Login to download file]
[Please Register or Login to download file]

Another odd or annoying change: the font displaying street names has changed, and no amount of modification to the Settings > Map > Text Size will revert to the old, block letter style. (Now the street names appear with a large initial capital and very, very small, almost illegible letters for the rest of each word)

Other members reported an issue with street names with every update after the 2022.25 on older devices, maybe yours is effected too.
Before you post, "The archive is corrupt or damaged"
Please make sure your archive software is up to date or just Use the latest [Please Register or Login to download file]
GarmanNuvi offline

User avatar Moderator

Re: old Kenwood (DNX 8120)

Postby odinson » Sun Sep 24, 2023 4:45 am

Thanks, I'll try that again. Training Center is unfamiliar to me but I used to use Mapsource often (stopping because Mapinstall alone had sufficed for my purpose many years). When I tried with a re-installed Mapsource last week it didn't display anything to transfer (I'd already re-entered a few friends' addresses using the Kenwood's tedious on-screen Garmin interface, but these didn't display either in Mapsource or in the Windows folders).

For the street name font problem, do you think temporarily switching to an older map might fix the problem? It's weird because I've updated with (selected tiles of) every new map even after 2022.25, and had been using 2024.1 without issues since around March, until last week.
odinson offline

Return to Kenwood