tomtom/navigon maps, helpp!   

tomtom/navigon maps, helpp!

Postby akn10red » Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:34 pm

Hi
This is my first post in this forum and I look forward to a positive responce :)

I want to convert maps from Garmin data to navigon and/or tomtom (iphone) for Pakistan. I have got the garmin IMG file, the GPX file, KML and the .shp files and I want to make a map for Pakistan. But before trying to do it, I installed the "tomtom Middle_East" to my iphone. Then I converted the POIs of Pakistan from garmin map data to OV2 format and uploaded it to the /private/var/mobile/applications/xxxxxxx/payload/tomtom.app/Middle_East/.....
Then I executed the tomtom application on my iphone and went to "Change settings>maps>POI Types" and there I WAS ABLE to see Pakistan. I checked it! But from there I noticed some big issues that I want to ask.
Based on my little experiment and after looking through different directories of the tomtom application I have a few questions.

1. While browsing the map I was not able to navigate beyond a certain point which is about 768 km away from my location (as mentioned by tomtom - image attached). Is there any file or some "EDITABLE" data which is responsible for this restriction???

2. What if I convert the garmin data to tomtom itinerary and save it to the "itn" folder of tomtom application (which is currently empty)? will it remove that restriction (mentioned in point 1).

3. Which file is responsibe to show the roads etc on the map? (I mean which file is related with those GRAPHICS we see in the map)

4. If simply saving the .itn files to the itn directory doesn't work, is there any method around to play with the original maps? Like in my case is there any way to store the data of Pakistan maps within the Middle_East maps?

5. what file exactly contains the map data in original tomtom iphone maps?

6. In the tomtom.app/Middle_East/ i see about 10 files (cline.dat, cname.dat, cnode.dat, faces, mapinfo.dat, etc) is there any way to edit them?

7. If conversion to tomtom is not possible, is there any way to convert that garmin data to navigon maps?

Please help me. I kept searching for like the whole day before asking these questions. There are no maps for Pakistan for both these two great apps and I want to do it myself!

Regards
akn10red offline

Postby multipazz » Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:50 am

the garmin pakistan maps have been converted by hobbits like yourself...
from either openstreetmap or from google mapmaker

perhaps they have a project already running for tomtom/navigon... ??

source: [Please Register or Login to download file]
device: TomTom GO 930 T
ttsystem: 9.205
map: Europe 885.4008

device: Garmin Oregon 450t
system software: v4.20
gps software: v4.52
maps:-
GB Discoverer 50K All
Thames Path Discover 25K
TOPO GB v2
Recreational Map Europe v3
BlueChart® g2 Vision: UK & Ireland (VEU706L)
multipazz offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Return to iPhone Discussion