How to solve error messages   

Postby nabi » Sun May 16, 2010 9:55 am

In this thread I intend to explain how to solve common errors installing iGO8.

Application database not found
The program database error message is exactly what it says. iGO8's program looks for its proprietary folder where it expects to find everything necessary to run and compile the program. But, in the case of this error doesn't.

Most likely you are trying to run iGo off an SD card. I have no information about what you have done before and how. I presume your iGO8 program is on an SD card and that it is complete with assumption that the directory and physical structure are okay. And I also suppose you start iGO by shortcut (or other means) on your device.

Possible errors you can check:

1. You must have a file called iGO.exe. If there is a file called application.dat, rename it into iGO.exe.

2. Next open the sys.txt file which in the iGO8 root directory (a simple text editor like Notepad will do). Probably you will see some lines like this.:

[folders]
app="%SDCARD%/iGO8"

If these lines are not there, goto step 3.

Change the second line so that it looks like this:

;app="%SDCARD%/iGO8"

Notice the ;. The ";" makes the line not used or computed (a rem statement in computer programming language). While the program is running, iGO8 checks the directory it's in. So this should work.

3. If it doesn't work (or the line doesn't exist), Then your sys.txt should contain the lines, make sure it does. (without the ";" !!!!! )

Now it gets a bit complicated. But it's not my fault luckily.
app="%SDCARD%/iGO8" tells the program the path to the folder where your iGO8 is located or found. Using that line as an example, you must discover yourself what it should look like. Therefore use an explorer program (best the one on your device - you should find the name of the SD card given by the device) and write down the path. Either write it down, copy the name into computer memory and get ready to enter the line in your sys.txt file.

For example, this is how the lines for a Samsung Omnia would look:

[folders]
app="My Storage/Program Files/iGO8"

Other examples:

[folders]
app="SDCard_dsk_num=3"

[folders]
app="SDCard_dsk_num=7"

4. Finally one more comment.
On some devices (do not ask me why or which devices - it's probably caused by the windows version or in what way windows is adapted by the manufacturer) iGO only starts when the "%" signs are no part of the app="%SDCARD%/iGO8" command line. Example:

[folders]
app="SDCARD/iGO8"

This is how ronp76, former mod, explains the very same thing:
(Thank you Ron!)
Presently I run only iGO8 off an SD card but will try to help. I assume that your in car DVD GPS has a menu based system that allows you to run various programs. I further assume that you it has a button to run TomTom.

More than likely each of these software buttons are tied to a script file which looks like XXXX.mscr (mscr is the script file extension name and XXXX can be iGO8, TomTom, etc.). In order for the GPS to execute or run the script and associated software, it needs to know the exact name, drive and directory of each program. Unfortunately, these names can vary from one manufacturer to another.

Your GPS hard drive (HD) can be called either MyFlash or ResidentFlash which are two of the more common names. The SD card can be called StorageCard, Storage_Card or SDMMC. The only way to find out exactly what your GPS calls itself and the card is to download the file attached to this reply.

Copy this file called CECommander (CECMD.exe) to your SD card ([Please Register or Login to download file] and then run it from your car GPS.

I also assume that you can run or execute files on the SD card. When run, CECMD.exe is like Windows Explorer. It will tell you what the exact name of your what your system sees the GPS hard drive (HD) as and also the name of SD card. You need these exact names because that is what GPS will look for.

For example, when I run CECMD.exe, I see:

My Documents (folder)
Network (network folder)
Program Files (folder)
ResidentFlash (hard drive symbol)
SDMMC (hard drive symbol)
Temp (folder)
Windows (folder)
Control Panel.lnk (shortcut link)
iGO8 (folder)

On the SDMMC (SD card) I see just an iGO8 folder which is all I have set up.

The next part is complicated and involves being able to have the direct instructions (from either the manufacturer, seller or another user). Most likely your GPS runs its software off "button" that are linked by script files (.MSCR file extensions) to programs on an SD card.

Can you hook up your in car GPS to a computer via a USB connection? If you can then you will need to look for .MSCR files, copy them to your computer and then tell me what you see. Good luck.

Another thing to explain here.

Depending on the device, it is possible you need to change the name of the iGO directory and the igo.exe file.

like this (thanks Bobtheboor!)
Had to make a directory called DestinatorApps then change the name of directory iGO8 to Destinator. Then changed file application.dat to Destinator.exe.

and change the sys.txt to meet these changes :

[folders]
app="%SDCARD%/DestinatorApps\Destinator"
Of course , the name to change to depends on the device.

If you have to make changes to the device's shell.ini (to start igo the same way as your previous gps program) is not part of this post Image

FFUI ERROR

This indicates a data.zip or branding.zip error.
One file (mostly data.zip) is but sometimes both files are bad, corrupted, ... and create a fault.

Solution: download a new data.zip and branding.zip and replace the old. Simple.

IMPORTANT: Before you replace, check out the new data.zip is suited for your resolution

Init Api

Init.api points to a license problem.

Change the license, the latest iGO builds use only the Generic Worldwide license. (and some also the driver alerts add-on)

Failed to open file: ui_igo8/480_272/main_scheme.ui

"Failed to open file: ui_igo8/480_272/main_scheme.ui"
only means your data.zip does not support your resolution. In this case 480 x 272, all resolutions are possible
You need another data.zip

GeoDB error

GeoDB errors are map related.

The experience tells us that these errors are usually caused by:

- (most likely) too many maps in the map folder: restrict to the maps you need

- too many map related items (3dl and 3dc files, POI files): also restrict to the files you need

- corrupted maps (example by faulty download) test by deleting all maps in the map folder and adding them one by one (on the condition that the previous reasons are excluded!)
nabi offline

Ex Super Mod

Postby Black Wolf » Tue May 18, 2010 10:07 pm

For all of you, who experienced this kind of error "IGO8 IS NOT VALID WIN CE APP", when you tried to run igo8.3.x.x on unlocked PNA device with WIN CE OS 4.2 or 5.0 on it, sometimes this helps:

Compressing igo8.exe with upx compression, you can find upx app on link below

[Please Register or Login to download file]

Most of IGO8.3.x.x. versions work with WinCE 4.2, 5.0 , most of the time you just need to compress the executable with UPX before copying to the PNA. (Don't know why this happens exactl.. Maybe WinCE 4.2 , 5.0, can not load executables with more than 4MB in size or something like this, it's not 100%, just my opinion, this isn't always on win ce 4.0, 5.0 pna device, but just to know, if you see same error, try this above)

Compressing WinCE executable with UPX for windows with the 2.92 method

I compressed igo8.3.x.x august 13 version, here

[Please Register or Login to download file]

You can use this compressed version if you see this kind of error.

This is from my own experience, and i just want to share with all you here...

Greetings!
Black Wolf offline

User avatar Banned Users

Return to > How to…