TT XXL Classic Expected Battery Life   

TT XXL Classic Expected Battery Life

Postby bheart » Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:33 am

Hi

I have recently purchased a TomTom XXL Classic and after turning it on to check if it was ok, I then charged it up overnight, which was around 10 hours. When I disconnected the device in the morning, I tapped the bottom right of the screen to reveal 'battery icon' at the top right and it was only showing about 3/4 full as indicated by the 'green progress indicator'.

I then reconnected the mains charger for another few hours and although the green had moved a bit closer to the full mark, it was still a little short of it.

We own three other TT satnavs and whenever I have charged any of them up, they are fully charged within about 2 to 3 three hours, as shown by a battery icon that was 'all green'.

Q1: Why does this model take so long to charge and why does the green indicator never quite reach the end?

On the TomTom website, the 'spec' for this model shows 'up to 3 hours' operation and this is obviously on battery only and, although I have not yet used it 'on the road', I can't see it lasting for 2 hours let alone 3 but, I need to actually do this before I start condemning the battery life.

Q2: Is it possible that there could be a fault with the battery or charging system?

Q3: Can the battery on this device be changed and if so, what type/voltage of battery does it take and can it be changed by the owner?
bheart offline

Postby tendriver » Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:56 am

bheart wrote:Q1: Why does this model take so long to charge and why does the green indicator never quite reach the end?

Q2: Is it possible that there could be a fault with the battery or charging system?

Q3: Can the battery on this device be changed and if so, what type/voltage of battery does it take and can it be changed by the owner?

Q1: Deplete the battery, then recharge it in the off mode.

Q2: Anything is possible, but not likely. See what the results are in Q1.

Q3: NEVER tinker with a unit in warranty. To do so will void same.
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby bheart » Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:00 pm

tendriver wrote:Q1: Deplete the battery, then recharge it in the off mode.

Q2: Anything is possible, but not likely. See what the results are in Q1.

Q3: NEVER tinker with a unit in warranty. To do so will void same.

Hi again tendriver

With regard to the battery, the battery was totally depleted about an hour ago and I put the device on charge in the OFF mode.

Q1: Bearing in mind that the device is a "NEW" unit, how long should it actually take to charge the device fully?
(Of course we don't know how long the unit/battery has been 'sat on the TomTom warehouse shelves)?

Q2: I will wait for for the device to charge fully and check how far it's got each hour then report back.

Q3: I would NEVER tinker with the device when it's under warranty. I'm just trying ascertain if I have a faulty unit/battery or charging system and, if so, I would return it to the supplier.
bheart offline

Return to General Discussions about TomTom