XL340 app update has changed how my data is displayed - can   

XL340 app update has changed how my data is displayed - can

Postby cpg » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:20 am

Following a routine free "small" map update from TomTom's website, it also prompted me to download a new application onto my TomTom XL 340, which I accepted.

However, the new app changed the way the data is displayed along the bottom of my TomTom. It changed the placement of the speed, direction arrow and time of arrival are displayed, it removed the satellite signal level meter, but worst of all my current speed often disappears when approaching/passing a motorway off-ramp. It can be over a minute before my actual speed is displayed again, after passing the off-ramp, although the speed limit always remains.

I restored to my earlier backup because I'm used to its layout and find it better than the new display, but the TomTom website wont allow me to download the small 1kb map updates anymore unless I upgrade the app again on my TomTom.

Is there a way to "trick" the TomTom website into not insisting I upgrade to the latest app, but still allowing me to download the latest small updates?

Thanks.
cpg offline

Postby Downunder35m » Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:04 am

The start for the Trick would be to let us know what Navcore you use and what Navcore Home is offering.
With that info a ttgo.bak can be created that will Home fool into thingking you already installed the new Navcore (application).
So run Get My Config (see signature) and post the results for both Navcores.
Forum rules

[Please Register or Login to download file]

If you find broken links or missing attachments in my postings, please send me PM
Password for all my files: downunder
Downunder35m offline

User avatar Elite Member

Postby tendriver » Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:37 pm

cpg wrote:Is there a way to "trick" the TomTom website into not insisting I upgrade to the latest app, but still allowing me to download the latest small updates?

To prevent TT Home from downloading & installing Navcore 9.430
Open the ttgo.bif file with Notepad.
Replace lines 9 & 10 with these:
ApplicationVersionVersionNumber=9430
ApplicationVersion=890926.1
Save this change by clicking "File" in the upper left corner of windows explorer, then "Save as" ttgo.bak. At this point, there is only a ttgo.bak file in the root, no ttgo.bif.
Disconnect & reboot. Now you will have a ttgo.bak, a ttgo.bif & a ttgo.ori file in the root & no TT Home upgrade to Navcore 9.430.
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby cpg » Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:01 am

Thanks tendriver. I followed your instructions but after rebooting there was no ttgo.ori file in the root.

I renamed tggo.bak (which had the app 9430) to tggo.bif. I was then able to download the small 1kb map share update whilst retaining my original map display layout. But interestingly when I rebooted again and checked for any more updates, TomTom Home wanted to install v 9430. Thought that would be OK as that is the version number you suggested using with notepad. But after reboot the new style map again reappeared.

Maybe I just have to live with the new layout as the price to pay for downloading the map share updates.

Thanks too Downunder35m. As requested here is the data you asked about

GetMy-CFG v2.50 - This is the original screen view layout I would like to keep
===============

DeviceVersionHW=XL IQ Routes Edition

ApplicationVersionVersionNumber=9061
TTSystem 4212715 bytes, modified 23/03/2011 11:56
PNDNavigator 7953172 bytes, modified 30/08/2011 14:46
BootLoaderVersion=55277
RDS/TMC 'mctx.dat' size 228 bytes
CurrentMap=New Zealand 880.3865
CurrentMapVersion=880.3865
HelpFileVersion = 20090617

-------------

GetMy-CFG v2.50 - This is the newer screen layview I don't want
===============

DeviceVersionHW=XL IQ Routes Edition
ApplicationVersionVersionNumber=9430
TTSystem 4509075 bytes, modified 04/07/2012 13:39
PNDNavigator 8144020 bytes, modified 04/07/2012 13:51
BootLoaderVersion=55277
RDS/TMC 'mctx.dat' size 212 bytes
CurrentMap=New_Zealand_885_4003
CurrentMapVersion=885.4003
HelpFileVersion = 20090617
cpg offline

Postby Downunder35m » Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:02 am

As you already had a ttgo.bak with the correct values in it you should have followed the instructions provided by Tendriver.
Instead of renaming it to ttgo.bif (which is created as each boot) you have to copy the file as ttgo.ori.
So you end up with with a .ori and .bak showing the values of the 9.430 and with your original ttgo.bif.
After that Home won't force you for updates anymore.

Other option would be to save screenshots of the menu layout you prefer and to create a tomtom.mnu with the same layout.
This way you always have the same menu no matter what NC you use.
Forum rules

If you find broken links or missing attachments in my postings, please send me PM
Downunder35m offline

User avatar Elite Member

Postby tendriver » Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:59 pm

Downunder35m wrote:So you end up with with a .ori and .bak showing the values of the 9.430 and with your original ttgo.bif.

Actually you end up with the .bif & .bak showing the 9.430 values & the .ori showing the actual navcore installed.
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby tendriver » Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:59 pm

cpg wrote:Thanks tendriver.
1. I followed your instructions but after rebooting there was no ttgo.ori file in the root.
2. I renamed tggo.bak (which had the app 9430) to tggo.bif. I was then able to download the small 1kb map share update whilst retaining my original map display layout.
3. But interestingly when I rebooted again and checked for any more updates, TomTom Home wanted to install v 9430. Thought that would be OK as that is the version number you suggested using with notepad. But after reboot the new style map again reappeared.
4. Maybe I just have to live with the new layout as the price to pay for downloading the map share updates.

1. The instructions were not followed exactly as posted.
2. You can't do this. A new ttgo.bif file is created EVERYTIME the device is booted.
3. This is the result of missteps in 1 & 2.
4. Nope. Just follow the instructions in post 3 exactly.
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby cpg » Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:47 pm

Thanks guys, I think I have my head around this now - I was missing out the "save" in step 1 and going straight to "save as", although still no .ori file is created.

My existing navcore is 9061 (the one with the layout I prefer), but so long as the bif file shows it as 9430 then I am able to install the small map share updates without having to accepted the new layout.

However after rebooting, the bif file shows 9061. Where is it getting this info from? The bak file is still showing 9430.

So, I can do the small map share updates whilst still keeping my old layout but I have to remember to edit the bif file each time before doing the update because after a reboot it will show 9061 and at the next update will want to download the new layout.

Does this make sense? Thanks again for your help.

Regards, Chris
cpg offline

Postby Downunder35m » Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:29 am

Does not make sense at all.
Simply follow the instructions provided by Tendriver in post3.
You are not reading the answers you get :(

STOP EDITING YOUR TTGO.BIF the way you do and do it like shown in post #3!

Your device will always show the NC that is installed.
Forum rules

Downunder35m offline

User avatar Elite Member

Return to General Discussions about TomTom