What is needed to update my go 730?   

What is needed to update my go 730?

Postby Attila7 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:45 pm

I am new to the world of updating a tomtom and I would appreciate some assistance if possible. I have a tomtom go 730 and I would like to update the maps. I would like a north america map (Canada, USA & Mexico), which of the 3 865.xxxx versions would be best for my device? What are the differances between the 3 versions? Should I be updating the navcore, if so which one? My current reading is as follows:

DeviceName=TomTom GO 730
DeviceVersionHW=GO 730
BootLoaderVersion=10012
ApplicationVersionVersionNumber=8351
ApplicationVersion=9982
CurrentMap=North_America_2GB
CurrentMapVersion=830.2284

Thank you.
Attila7 offline

Postby Downunder35m » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:34 am

Take the 865.3245 map for your device.
You can leave the Navcore as it suppports all features.
Use FastActivate (link is in the map thread) to activate the map and patch the Navcore, please use the update button first to make sure you got all codes you need for the activation.
Forum rules

[Please Register or Login to download file]

If you find broken links or missing attachments in my postings, please send me PM
Password for all my files: downunder
Downunder35m offline

User avatar Elite Member

Postby Attila7 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:17 am

Thanks Downunder35m, I will dl the map pak asap. Do the newer navcores offer more or better features?
Attila7 offline

Postby tendriver » Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:29 am

Attila7 wrote:Thanks Downunder35m, I will dl the map pak asap. Do the newer navcores offer more or better features?

North_America_865_3245 [1.77GB]

USA_and_Mexico_865_3245 [1.77GB]

These are your only 3245 choices today.
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby Attila7 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:57 am

Yes I saw the map guides, I was wanting to know if a newer navcore would provide more features and/or improve how the unit runs.
If so what is the newest and best navcore version that I can run on a go 730?
Attila7 offline

Postby Downunder35m » Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:12 am

Check my signature, but there are other you can use too, like the 9.205 or so.
You device can handle pretty much every Navcore you like.
Only main difference imho for the V9 Navcores is the 3pane status bar.
Forum rules

If you find broken links or missing attachments in my postings, please send me PM
Password for all my files: downunder
Downunder35m offline

User avatar Elite Member

Postby tendriver » Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:12 am

Attila7 wrote:Yes I saw the map guides, I was wanting to know if a newer navcore would provide more features and/or improve how the unit runs.
If so what is the newest and best navcore version that I can run on a go 730?

I have 9.205 set to x50 on a 720.
Make a backup with windows explorer of your current setup. Download the .cab & copy it into your 730, overwriting any common files.

Download this .rar. Unzip & copy the 3 files into your unit, overwriting common files.

Copy in & patch the map.
Disconnect & reboot.
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby Attila7 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:29 am

Thanks guys, I'll give it a go. Great forum you have here, lots of info and very helpful mods.
Attila7 offline

Postby Attila7 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:03 pm

I think I am starting to undertsand this stuff a little bit from reading the charts and other info on this site. I have noticed many maps from all over the world with the same version numbers. It has been recommended that I use 865.3245 maps, I'm thinking it doesn't matter what country the map is for as long as it is that version it will work with my TT Go 730. One thing I have wondered about is the map sizes, for example the North America map amd the USA-Mexico map are both about the same size. Is the USA map more detailed than the North America map? As I have a SD slot I'm not concerned about the amount of space used, I would certainly take the time to gather individual maps if the detail is betterthan continent maps. I have noticed the same thing with the European maps, there is the Europe map and several more localized maps such as central europe, eastern , southern, etc... Again are the localized maps more detalied than the Europe map?
Attila7 offline

Postby tendriver » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:36 pm

Attila7 wrote:I think I am starting to undertsand this stuff a little bit from reading the charts and other info on this site.
1. I have noticed many maps from all over the world with the same version numbers. It has been recommended that I use 865.3245 maps, I'm thinking it doesn't matter what country the map is for as long as it is that version it will work with my TT Go 730.
2. One thing I have wondered about is the map sizes, for example the North America map amd the USA-Mexico map are both about the same size. Is the USA map more detailed than the North America map? As I have a SD slot I'm not concerned about the amount of space used, I would certainly take the time to gather individual maps if the detail is betterthan continent maps.
3. I have noticed the same thing with the European maps, there is the Europe map and several more localized maps such as central europe, eastern , southern, etc... Again are the localized maps more detalied than the Europe map?

1. 865.3245 is recommended because it is the full feature version. Any map will run on your unit with navcore 9.0XX or above. 865.3245 only needs 8.2XX or above.
2. The North America map covers the USA & Canada. USA coverage is the same in NA 865.3245, United States 865.3245 & USA - Mexico 865.3245.
3. Not all models have a larger internal memory or card slot. The smaller & localized maps are made for those models. More detailed?? Think of it as taking a large paper map & cutting it up into smaller maps.
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby Attila7 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:56 pm

Well the navcore update didn't work out, the unit would freeze up constantly and TT Home was having issues with it. I reloaded the original and the map update went well. I was able to recover my favs list be following instructions from this site. I did lose a custom map color scheme, any idea which file that info is in, perhaps it can be recovered much like the favs list?
Attila7 offline

Postby tendriver » Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:16 pm

Attila7 wrote:1. Well the navcore update didn't work out, the unit would freeze up constantly and
2. TT Home was having issues with it. I reloaded the original and the map update went well. I was able to recover my favs list be following instructions from this site.
3. I did lose a custom map color scheme, any idea which file that info is in, perhaps it can be recovered much like the favs list?

1. Installation details, please.
2. Invalid Navcore issue? Easy fix.
3. Look for a schemes folder in the root.
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby Attila7 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:55 pm

I used a snapshot of my unit on my desktop. I downloaded and copied the 2 rar files you provided as per the instructions provided. I then added in the map and patched it using v1.8. After that I copied the entire contents of the folder to the root of my blank 730, rebooted and it loaded up ok but I was not able to access any menus. Whenever I touched the screen the unit froze. As for a schemes folder, I could not locate such a thing anywhere in the backup, not a big deal, just thought it might save hunting thru the many pages of color schemes on the TT site, I will do that another day. Thanks for your help.
Attila7 offline

Postby tendriver » Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:32 pm

Attila7 wrote:1. I reloaded the original and the map update went well.
2. I did lose a custom map color scheme, any idea which file that info is in, perhaps it can be recovered much like the favs list? As for a schemes folder, I could not locate such a thing anywhere in the backup, not a big deal, just thought it might save hunting thru the many pages of color schemes on the TT site, I will do that another day.

1. Now copy the .cab & .rar files over the loaded & working original, overwriting any common files
2. Having downloaded the scheme in question from TT changes things a bit. Connect to your puter, start TT Home & click on Manage my device. Click on the Items on computer tab. You scheme should be listed. If so, go back to TT Home, Add Traffic etc & reinstall it.
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Return to General Discussions about TomTom