What do I even do to get latest maps ? (tomtom one 3rd editi   

What do I even do to get latest maps ? (tomtom one 3rd editi

Postby komrad2236 » Mon Jun 05, 2023 8:27 am

Hi everyone
I have been browsing this forum since yesterday and I can't figure out what do I need to do to get the most recent possible maps on my device, which is TomTom One 3rd Edition.

I get something about bootloader and Navcore which I learned is operating system that runs on this device.

But I have so many questions, starting from :
How do I know whats the latest bootloader and what is the latest Navcore and latest maps that fit on this device ?
Is that all I need to update and worry about, theres nothing more ?

Lots of links are down so these old tutorials and explanations leave me with lots of questions.

I found this
tutorials/model-bootloader-and-navcore-info-t13658.html

But why do I even need to know the model of TomTom device I own, what does knowing this help me with ?
What even is a bootloader ?

As someone who is not even a newbie, rather a total 0 when it comes to this, simply leaving out some info leaves me with frustrations.
Heres to hoping a hero comes along, cheers
komrad2236 offline

Re: What do I even do to get latest maps ? (tomtom one 3rd e

Postby komrad2236 » Mon Jun 05, 2023 12:56 pm

Let me share what I learned, information is scattered a little bit but I tried my best to learn.
Bootloader is something like a bios for PCs.

-First you learn what device you have exactly, you write down everything about it, find out its informtion like ID, current bootloader and navcore version installed on it, how much RAM it has, space, all.Back up all that any way you want(i copied all this text info to new text file), then backup every file from your device, you do that by connecting your device to computer, in My computer you will see TomTom device loaded, copy everything and save it.
-Knowing what devide you have lets you find out what bootloader you can install on it, but don't bother about having the latest version like you're some hippy following the trends, just find the bootloader that works on your device the best, honestly only thing I learned is that newer bootloader allows for bigger SD cards, since my TomTom has no SD card slot, I don't need to bother, even though I could mod it and solder an SD card, I won't bother as maps I need are not that big.
-Navcore is operating system
There is a chart that you can take a look at and it will tell you what versions of maps are comaptible with each Navcore version.
I have 8.010 I believe, and even with this Navcore, latest maps(1110 or something like that) were compatible.
I think that's all Navcore is important for really, what maps you can install on your device
Probably newer version of Navcore have different icons or something, idk, I did not find any comparison lists or anything

After you get all this info, you decide if you want to update bootoader, if you want to update navcore or not, now you find what maps you want.
I just used FastActivate.
Thats all.

I won't post tutorials or link, don't have time now, use search, good luck
Ps:if links are dead, try other forums which I noticed all have same posts(probably someone copied someone elses work) so you should be able to find links across the web, also don't forget cached versions of sites and Internet Archive for if you read this in future and links are down or website are offline

That's it, please chime in older members and correct me if I am wrong
komrad2236 offline

Return to General Discussions about TomTom