UK or Western Europe?   

UK or Western Europe?

Postby caned_monkey » Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:32 pm

I have a TomTom One 3rd Edition 1gb 32mb

I use my TomTom mainly for driving in the UK but very occasionally I need it for driving in France and Spain.

The Western Europe 1gb map is about 800mb and the individual maps for the UK, France and Spain together are about the same size. As the Western Europe map has maps for these three countries as well as a load of others, what is it that has been stripped out of the maps to make them smaller?

Basically my question is, would I be better off having the individual country maps rather than the Western Europe map? The only advantage I can see of having the Western Europe map (and this is a very big advantage) is that you can plot routes from somewhere in France to somewhere in Spain.

But, as I will be spending 99.9% of my time in the UK would I not be better of with the UK map?

Thanks
Steven
caned_monkey offline

Re: UK or Western Europe?

Postby Hotpants » Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:42 pm

Personally I use the UK map. When I go to Spain, I swap to the Iberia map, if I go to France, I load the French map. I don't drive from France into Spain though.

Have you got an SD card slot to load Western Europe on as well?
Hotpants offline

User avatar Member

Postby caned_monkey » Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:49 pm

No, internal memory only.

To remove a map, do I just delete the folder from the device? To add it again do i need to rerun the installer?
caned_monkey offline

Postby tendriver » Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:36 pm

caned_monkey wrote:1. To remove a map, do I just delete the folder from the device?
2. To add it again do i need to rerun the installer?

1. Cut & paste it YES, delete it NO!!
2. No, just cut & paste it back into your unit.
BTW, Hotpants has the right idea. 2 maps, 1 for local and another for travel.
I do not give help by PM. It deprives our other members of a chance to learn. Please post your issue in the appropriate forum/thread. You will get an answer.
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby caned_monkey » Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:03 pm

OK, so I should install all of the maps on my device and then move them back onto my computer so that all I need to do to change them is swap the folders around?
caned_monkey offline

Postby tendriver » Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:43 pm

caned_monkey wrote:OK, so I should install all of the maps on my device and then move them back onto my computer so that all I need to do to change them is swap the folders around?

There is no reason to install all of the maps on your device and then move them back onto your computer. Just put all of your maps on your computer, then load the one that you want to use now, & swap them around as needed.
I do not give help by PM. It deprives our other members of a chance to learn. Please post your issue in the appropriate forum/thread. You will get an answer.
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby central » Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:22 pm

And don't forget to activate them all before you "store" them on your computer, saves all the hassle of activating them when you switch them around.
central offline

Postby tendriver » Thu Nov 06, 2014 3:22 am

central wrote:And don't forget to activate them all before you "store" them on your computer

Thanx for the reminder, he already knows this.
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby jokskot » Thu Nov 06, 2014 11:21 am

I would always go for the "continent" map rather than the "single country" map if you you have the space, if only to avoid having to move maps to and from the Tomtom unit.
I have never been aware of there being less information available in continent rather than country maps - if there really is less information it must unnecessary detail.
jokskot offline

Postby Shaman » Thu Nov 06, 2014 1:06 pm

If you have enough room on your internal storage to put all 3 maps on there, why not leave them there. You can always switch maps in your menu. No swap between your device and computer needed.

And why the 3 maps together are as big as the Western Europe map? Your country maps probebly have lane guidance, iq routes and stuff like that. The Western Europe 1gb maps (in your case probebly the Europe 1gb West map) don't have things like that. Than you need less space ;)
Every day drunk is also a regular life :drinkingbuddies:
Shaman offline

User avatar Member

Postby Hotpants » Thu Nov 06, 2014 3:43 pm

OP said he has a 1gb internal memory only. There is no way he would get 2 maps on at the same time, let alone 3
Hotpants offline

User avatar Member

Postby tendriver » Thu Nov 06, 2014 4:56 pm

caned_monkey wrote:The Western Europe 1gb map is about 800mb and the individual maps for the UK, France and Spain together are about the same size. As the Western Europe map has maps for these three countries as well as a load of others, what is it that has been stripped out of the maps to make them smaller?

Western_Europe_1GB v935.5745 is 1221MB in size.
Europe_1GB_West_935_5745 is 824MB in size.

UK&ROI v935.5745 is 182MB in size.
France v935.5745 is 333MB in size.
Iberia v935.5745 is 259MB in size.
3 map total is 774MB
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby tendriver » Thu Nov 06, 2014 5:03 pm

Shaman wrote:If you have enough room on your internal storage to put all 3 maps on there, why not leave them there. You can always switch maps in your menu. No swap between your device and computer needed.

You can't plan a UK&ROI departure point to a Spanish destination point with 3 country maps.
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby Hotpants » Thu Nov 06, 2014 5:05 pm

tendriver wrote:
caned_monkey wrote:The Western Europe 1gb map is about 800mb and the individual maps for the UK, France and Spain together are about the same size. As the Western Europe map has maps for these three countries as well as a load of others, what is it that has been stripped out of the maps to make them smaller?

Western_Europe_1GB v935.5745 is 1221MB in size.

UK&ROI v935.5745 is 182MB in size
France v935.5745 is 333MB in size
Iberia v935.5745 is 259MB in size
Total 774MB

Oops, I stand corrected. I bow down to the Oracle :lol:
Hotpants offline

User avatar Member

Postby Shaman » Thu Nov 06, 2014 8:43 pm

@tendriver

You're right. You can't plan a route from UK to Spain. The point is, you don't have to move one map from your device to your computer before loading another map.. you can put as many maps on your internal memory as you like. As long as you have room for them. And 1gb is not much.

And if I did 99.9% of my driving in the UK, I prefer a map with all the extra's. Only change it once every year for a Europe 1gb West map.
Every day drunk is also a regular life :drinkingbuddies:
Shaman offline

User avatar Member

Next

Return to General Discussions about TomTom