Via 120/180 Manual Map Update   

Via 120/180 Manual Map Update

Postby keyoke » Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:01 am

Hi,
Is it possible to access this devices storage via file explorer?
Thanks
keyoke offline

Postby biggerdave » Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:45 am

keyoke wrote:Hi,
Is it possible to access this devices storage via file explorer?
Thanks

In a word, no. These plus all new models since 2010 connect ONLY through MyTomTom rather than TTHome so cannot be cracked/manipulated/tweaked etc
::thumbup:: S i m p l e s ::thumbup::
biggerdave offline

User avatar V.I.P Member

Postby Downunder35m » Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:45 am

No, not possible.
Forum rules

[Please Register or Login to download file]

If you find broken links or missing attachments in my postings, please send me PM
Password for all my files: downunder
Downunder35m offline

User avatar Elite Member

Postby keyoke » Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:32 pm

ok great... is this because the pc drivers dont allow access or is it also a hardware thing?
keyoke offline

Postby biggerdave » Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:17 pm

keyoke wrote:ok great... is this because the pc drivers dont allow access or is it also a hardware thing?

The reason why all of the new TomToms since September 2010 (such as the GO1000 range and all VIA models) do not show up as a drive on the computer is because they are using the Linux based file systems instead of FAT/FAT32.

This wasn't a choice by TomTom to make it harder for us to copy or crack their devices. This was done because Microsoft successfully sued TomTom for using the Microsoft FAT and FAT32 file systems on a Linux platform, which Microsoft claimed was an infringement.

Therefore TomTom were forced to use another file system other than a Windows based one. TomToms run on Linux anyway, so the choice to use Linux file systems do make the devices run faster than ever before, as their file systems are generally more reliable and capable than the older FAT/FAT32. This is a positive for customers, but it's a negative for us who want to update our new TomToms by sharing files with each other, as we do on here and other forums.

The only way to currently update the new TomToms is to use their program called "MyTomTom," although you have to pay for updating most things like new maps and safety cameras.

So far, nobody has been successful in trying to "crack" this new system, or rather make it possible for us to update the new TomToms using Windows Explorer. One must wonder though... how hard can it really be??
biggerdave offline

User avatar V.I.P Member

Postby keyoke » Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:31 pm

Thanks, so in theory it should be possible to mount the device in linux?
keyoke offline

Postby biggerdave » Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:34 pm

keyoke wrote:Thanks, so in theory it should be possible to mount the device in linux?

You would have thought so but the gurus have been trying for a year now and not succeeded so maybe, just maybe, eventually but don't hold your breath. Your device will have died well before it happens.
biggerdave offline

User avatar V.I.P Member

Postby tropix100 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:50 am

biggerdave wrote:The reason why all of the new TomToms since September 2010 (such as the GO1000 range and all VIA models) do not show up as a drive on the computer is because they are using the Linux based file systems instead of FAT/FAT32.

This wasn't a choice by TomTom to make it harder for us to copy or crack their devices. This was done because Microsoft successfully sued TomTom for using the Microsoft FAT and FAT32 file systems on a Linux platform, which Microsoft claimed was an infringement.

Therefore TomTom were forced to use another file system other than a Windows based one. TomToms run on Linux anyway, so the choice to use Linux file systems do make the devices run faster than ever before, as their file systems are generally more reliable and capable than the older FAT/FAT32. This is a positive for customers, but it's a negative for us who want to update our new TomToms by sharing files with each other, as we do on here and other forums.

The only way to currently update the new TomToms is to use their program called "MyTomTom," although you have to pay for updating most things like new maps and safety cameras.

So far, nobody has been successful in trying to "crack" this new system, or rather make it possible for us to update the new TomToms using Windows Explorer. One must wonder though... how hard can it really be??

biggerdave >>> 12 months later is there an update on this issue with respect to being able to install maps?
tropix100 offline

Postby tendriver » Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:04 am

tropix100 wrote:1. biggerdave >>>
2. 12 months later is there an update on this issue with respect to being able to install maps?

1. He no longer posts here.
2. No.
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Return to General Discussions about TomTom