usb connection on tomtom go 530   

usb connection on tomtom go 530

Postby goofy gorilla » Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:07 pm

hi guys - seems like the usb connection on my tomtom go 530 is loose or broken, doesnt seem to charge my unit...is it a easy fix ?...if so any pics or info..cheers
goofy gorilla offline

Postby multipazz » Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:46 pm

Sounds like a bit of soldering and possibly some track repair is required... Depending if the tracks are still good...

If you are not good with soldering take it to your local repair shop...

Should not be to expensive...

If you don't have anyone local who can fix this for you...
Take a look at fleabay...

Pics for the repair can be found easily if you search !!!
multipazz offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby tendriver » Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:47 pm

goofy gorilla wrote:hi guys - seems like the usb connection on my tomtom go 530 is loose or broken, doesnt seem to charge my unit...is it a easy fix ?...if so any pics or info..cheers

You haven't given enuf info for us to give you a good answer. Are you getting the green light, when the 530 is placed in it's cradle?
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby goofy gorilla » Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:49 pm

no mate - no green light...thought it might be charger, tried a different working one ,but still the same...soldering skills are ok..i can solder, might take it apart..just looking for info on the web....
goofy gorilla offline

Postby tendriver » Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:55 pm

goofy gorilla wrote:no mate - no green light...thought it might be charger, tried a different working one ,but still the same...soldering skills are ok..i can solder, might take it apart..just looking for info on the web....

Dismantling Tomtom devices
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby goofy gorilla » Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:01 pm

ok cheers will have a read of it...found this though
the bottom pic shows the usb socket, im i correct in assuming its soldered in the 4 places..as shown...seems easy enough...might just need a reflow of the solder..hope tracks arnt broken..will have to open and see...cheers guys..

My apologies, links to other forums is not allowed.

tendriver

ok sorry about that...
goofy gorilla offline

Postby Downunder35m » Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:18 am

If the socket is loose than you might have a crack in the track right at the edge of the solder, so please scratch the isolating paint off a bit a make the new solder point slightly bigger than the old to cover the cleaned parts of the track.
Also a very common problem is that a little diode that protects the charging part burns out.
They are black and pretty tiny, one might be covered by some tape or paper right next to the USB port.
With a good multimeter you can check if you have continuity, you should have a setting for testing diodes on it too but if in doubt it is best to unsoldr them and test them outside the circuit bord to avoid unwanted results from other parts.
Make sure to mark the direction of the diode before taking it out!!
If it is broken you'll have a good chance of finding a replacement inside most modern electronics like VCR's DVD player and so on.
Forum rules

[Please Register or Login to download file]

If you find broken links or missing attachments in my postings, please send me PM
Password for all my files: downunder
Downunder35m offline

User avatar Elite Member

Postby goofy gorilla » Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:58 pm

thanks mate...took the board out...mini usb appears to be fine , cant see any cracks in the joints or movement...may be the diode but what does it look like..cant see one near the usb port..is it on the mini usb side of the board or the other...?...cheers

just a thought guys...could it be that the tomtom hasnt been used for months and the battery has gone so flat...that it takes time for it to recharge hence the green light dont come on ?.....
goofy gorilla offline

Postby tendriver » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:51 pm

goofy gorilla wrote:that it takes time for it to recharge hence the green light dont come on ?.....

The green light only indicates that the unit is getting power. It is not an indication that the unit is charging.
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Return to General Discussions about TomTom