Updating map on XL 340   

Updating map on XL 340

Postby VeeDub » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:52 am

Hello,

This is my first post. Very impressive site, with all the tutorials I had hoped I would be able to update my maps without needing assistance. However I'm not sure that the update has succeeded.

Details of my device:
DeviceName=TomTom XL IQ Routes Edition
DeviceVersionHW=XL IQ Routes Edition
BootLoaderVersion=55136
ApplicationVersionVersionNumber=9056
ApplicationVersion=542741.2
CurrentMap=Australia
CurrentMapVersion=845.2661

I have made a full backup of the device before starting.

I downloaded map: Australia_855_2938. I copied this directory to the root of the TomTom. Should I have deleted the old map folder? I wasn't sure, so I have not as yet.

I downloaded: ENG_FastActivate_05.11.2010_Premium_edition_v1.7
Copied FastActivate.exe to the root of the TomTom.

Ran FastActivate
- Update meta.txt (Integrated meta.txt is 02.10.2010)
- ttsystem
- Maps/Voices
No errors were reported.

Rebooted the TomTom (standalone) TomTom starts OK but version reports old map version.
Re-connect TomTom to the PC and info in ttgo.bif is unchanged (as if update has not succeeded).

Tried deleting ttgo.bif and rebooting TomTom. ttgo.bif re-created, but with old values.

So it would seem the map has not been updated.

Appreciate some suggestions as to what to try next.

Thanks!

VW
VeeDub offline

Postby hogan7777 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:07 pm

I will try to help (that would make a change after all the help I get from this site)
You should have removed your old map folder before installing new map
It sounds like you did it all correct so I would restore unit with back up,then remove map folder and re install new map run fastactive.
Then when map is running you can copy your pois from old map back up into new map folder.
TomTom Go 530, Europe_truck_930_5618
9.702 Navcore.Height.

IGO Primo 2 Truck,Europe
hogan7777 offline

User avatar Senior Member

Postby djc151084 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:39 pm

There is no need to delite your old map folder unless you want to, doesnt make a diffrence, if you look through your device menu you will see "switch map" open that and you can then choose your new map to be used ;)
djc151084 offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby tendriver » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:44 pm

VeeDub wrote:Hello,
So it would seem the map has not been updated.
Appreciate some suggestions as to what to try next.

Thanks!

VW

Did you go to Main Menu, Switch maps to see if you have the option to select the new map?
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby VeeDub » Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:50 pm

djc151084 wrote:There is no need to delite your old map folder unless you want to, doesnt make a diffrence, if you look through your device menu you will see "switch map" open that and you can then choose your new map to be used ;)

That worked.

Thanks!
VeeDub offline

Postby tendriver » Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:55 pm

VeeDub wrote:That worked.

Thanks!

The TT Team sez, "You are Welcome".
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby VeeDub » Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:55 pm

Out of interest, if I had removed the old map, would the unit have switched "automatically" or would it have complained that the old map was no longer accessible?

The other item that I note, is that in the switch map option both maps were listed as Australia (nothing else) so with only two maps it is fairly easy to decide which one to try. If there were more entries in the list switching potentially becomes a trial-and-error exercise.

Anyway the unit is updated ... happy days.

Thanks again.
VeeDub offline

Postby djc151084 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:59 pm

VeeDub wrote:Out of interest, if I had removed the old map, would the unit have switched "automatically" or would it have complained that the old map was no longer accessible?

The other item that I note, is that in the switch map option both maps were listed as Australia (nothing else) so with only two maps it is fairly easy to decide which one to try. If there were more entries in the list switching potentially becomes a trial-and-error exercise.

Thanks again.

Yes your device would have automaticly choose the only map remaining on the unit if you delited the old 1, and it is possible to change what is displayd in the switch maps option if you ever need to just ask in thread at the time ;)
djc151084 offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby tendriver » Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:06 pm

VeeDub wrote:1. Out of interest, if I had removed the old map, would the unit have switched "automatically" or would it have complained that the old map was no longer accessible?

2. The other item that I note, is that in the switch map option both maps were listed as Australia (nothing else) so with only two maps it is fairly easy to decide which one to try. If there were more entries in the list switching potentially becomes a trial-and-error exercise.

Thanks again.

1. There is no "switch" with a single map. The navcore looks for a map folder. If there is only one, it uses it. With 2 or more, you have to select one. No, it won't complain.

2. You can change the name that appears in "Switch maps" by opening & editing the map's .pna file with notepad.
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Return to General Discussions about TomTom