Update TomTom Navigator on Navman S200   

Postby Fotchy » Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:52 am

Hi,

I'm looking at updating the current version of TomTom Navigator on my Navman S200. I have made a backup of my flash drive (before TomTom installation) onto pc using windows explorer. Is it safe to format the flash drive through pc, load backup files onto flash drive and then do a fresh install of TomTom?

Is this the best method? If not could, you please recommend the correct procedure.

Cheers,

Shane
Fotchy offline

Postby Fatboyfun » Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:55 am

What version of Tomtom Navigator do you have now?
Fatboyfun offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby Fotchy » Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:18 pm

Hi Fatboyfun,

The TomTom Navigator version installed is: App version 7.450 (9030). From reading forums, the latest Navcore 7 release is 7.915.9196.

Cheers,

Shane
Fotchy offline

Postby Fatboyfun » Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:32 pm

The latest version of Tomtom Navigator for Windows Mobile is 7.918, however there are some versions that have been tweaked to work on Windows CE, and these are 7.450 and occasionally 7.910, The only differences between all of them are cosmetic (menu colours, resolution support, etc...)

Stick with what you already have, there is no benefit to upgrade and it will likely result in failure or other problems.
Fatboyfun offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby Fotchy » Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:49 pm

Hi Fatboyfun,

I would still like to try and update to the latest version of Tomtom Navigator for interest sake. Is the method I originally posted safe? If there is an easier way, can you please let me know.

Cheers,

Shane
Fotchy offline

Postby Fatboyfun » Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:21 pm

First make a backup of your current setup...

You will need to extract the tomtom navigator.exe and the data.chk files from the .cab file using a utility that I can't remember the name of (MSCEinf?) and just replace the files in the navigator folder, you will need to run tomtom once to adjust the .bif file, then run autoactivate again to repatch your maps. In my experience anything later than 7.450 either doesn't start or gets the not enough memory error.

And now you will need to reload the backup you made earlier... :lol:
Fatboyfun offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby Fotchy » Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:33 pm

Hi Fatboyfun,

There are two versions of TomTom Navigator:
TT v7.918.9193 with BT
TT v7.918.9193 VGA no BT

What is the difference between the two files and which would be suitable for use on a Navman S200.

Cheers,
Shane
Fotchy offline

Postby Fatboyfun » Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:43 pm

Fotchy wrote:Hi Fatboyfun,

There are two versions of TomTom Navigator:
TT v7.918.9193 with BT
TT v7.918.9193 VGA no BT

What is the difference between the two files and which would be suitable for use on a Navman S200.

Cheers,
Shane

One is for VGA based PDA devices and the other is for QVGA based PDA devices, The BT is something to do with Bluetooth drivers, Neither will work on a Navman S200.

7.910 is the latest version that works on Windows CE, But it doesn't work on Navman's (Not enough memory error)
Currently sleeping...
Fatboyfun offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby Fotchy » Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:20 pm

Hi Fatboyfun,

Currently, i'm running TomTom Navigator version: App version 7.450 (9030). At first startup, Navman S200 returned "not enough memory available" error. However, i have managed to overcome this by going to Start, Settings, System, Memory and moving the slider bar all the way to the left (to allow more memory to run programs) and since then i have had no issue.

Could this overcome the (Not enough memory error) if it came up on startup on the latest TomTom Navigator 7.918. I think it may be worth a shot, no harm done. That aside, which TomTom Navigator version 7.918 is suitable. In my opinion because the device is 3-4 years old, it would probably have a VGA screen. Therefore i should try TT v7.918.9193 VGA no BT. Would u agree?

Sorry to be persistant but i like to try new things!

Cheers,
Shane
Fotchy offline

Postby Fatboyfun » Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:46 pm

Fotchy wrote:Hi Fatboyfun,

Currently, i'm running TomTom Navigator version: App version 7.450 (9030). At first startup, Navman S200 returned "not enough memory available" error. However, i have managed to overcome this by going to Start, Settings, System, Memory and moving the slider bar all the way to the left (to allow more memory to run programs) and since then i have had no issue.

Could this overcome the (Not enough memory error) if it came up on startup on the latest TomTom Navigator 7.918. I think it may be worth a shot, no harm done. That aside, which TomTom Navigator version 7.918 is suitable. In my opinion because the device is 3-4 years old, it would probably have a VGA screen. Therefore i should try TT v7.918.9193 VGA no BT. Would u agree?

Sorry to be persistant but i like to try new things!

Cheers,
Shane

The infamous "Not enough memory error" is actually a dll load failure, Windows CE allocates memory for all required dll's at programme launch, sometimes these dll's are larger than what Tomtom expects and they won't fit in the allocated space, so therefore you get the error.

If Windows CE genuinely runs out of memory, an "Application memory is low" dialogue box appears requesting you to close applications or allocate some more programme memory at the cost of temporary storage.

With TTN 7.450 you always get one not enough memory error on the first run, subsequent runs are ok, There is a work-around by using Mortscript to replace the map config file with a pre-configured version on every launch which gets around the error, but as this is where a lot of map related settings are stored, it means you can't save favourites, poi settings etc.

VGA is for 640x480 screens and above, the only difference is the menu icons and fonts are slightly larger.

The only differences between 7.450 up to 7.918 are purely cosmetic.
Currently sleeping...
Fatboyfun offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Return to General Discussions about TomTom