Understanding the GO 3,5,700.... NOT!   

Understanding the GO 3,5,700.... NOT!

Postby xose » Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:05 pm

Is anyone still using the go 700?

I've done everything possible - thanks to this great site :drinks: , so now I have App 8.412 and map Western Europe 1Gb V855.2931. Works beautifully.... right up to finding a gps signal.

Tried the quickgpsfix files in ephem as very kindly suggested and supplied. Thanks again for that.

What I have is a GPS status on continuous search. The best I get is some life in the center of the compass where a couple of sats are seen but not enough to generate a bar - never mind a lock.

So, all looks good but in simple terms, it's as if I was indoors, when I'm not!!

Final frontier for it then..... is anyone actually using quickgpsfix on a go, any go and if so, what navcore and map are you using?

Many thanks. Fantastic forum!!

Xose
xose offline

User avatar Junior Member

Postby tendriver » Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:13 pm

Go here.

[Please Register or Login to download file]
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby djc151084 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:19 am

xose wrote:Is anyone still using the go 700?

I've done everything possible - thanks to this great site :drinks: , so now I have App 8.412 and map Western Europe 1Gb V855.2931. Works beautifully.... right up to finding a gps signal.

Tried the quickgpsfix files in ephem as very kindly suggested and supplied. Thanks again for that.

What I have is a GPS status on continuous search. The best I get is some life in the center of the compass where a couple of sats are seen but not enough to generate a bar - never mind a lock.

So, all looks good but in simple terms, it's as if I was indoors, when I'm not!!

Final frontier for it then..... is anyone actually using quickgpsfix on a go, any go and if so, what navcore and map are you using?

Many thanks. Fantastic forum!!

Xose

quickgpsfix works for most devices. i use it on my got 720 fine. try a hard reset of your unit followed by the tomtom clear flash tool, to see if this fix's your issue.
djc151084 offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby xose » Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:23 am

djc151084 wrote:quickgpsfix works for most devices. i use it on my got 720 fine. try a hard reset of your unit followed by the tomtom clear flash tool, to see if this fix's your issue.

Hi again djc,
Unfortunalety for me, the go 3,5 and 700's have the SirfstarII chip. The x10,20's have the SirfstarIII, so they support Quickfix and the earlier GO's don't. I was hoping for either a bespoke or Sirf's own solution as I know the tomtom home route is never going to work. They had said they were going to release it back in the day, but instead, the new models came out and those of us who spent over £500 on these 700 units were left out in the cold. Having said all that, a lot of people are asking what the big deal is as it costs them a minute or so of their time.... not having quickfix. I on the other hand, believe it would help me resolve my "tomtom in draw for months" problem.

As I've posted, I have successfully installed 8.412 navcore and a lates European map. Love the new gui and features which I had paid for from another supplier a couple of years back for mp3 and pictures - though that also has movie support and the 8.412 doesn't. Anyway, all that's gone from the TT700 now and just the above is in there. Done the reset, flash (3 times) and left it out for hours. Get a sign of life after about 15 minutes (see pics) then hours later, not a lot happens. See slight improvement between shots. The Sat number changes also (tried this lots of times following resets). But it doesn't want to go past the initial one or two sat finds let alone give me some grey bars. Is this the GPS Status screen of death? - the areal is faulty? - or is it, as I hope as it was working perfectly a couple of years back before going in the draw, software. Worth noting, before I put it in the draw towards my last daily use of it, it had rebooted itself on trips a few times prior to it going in the draw, but it always came back working.

Is there a way of uploading an image to a post from my PC?. Have a couple of JPG's to show the GPS Status after X time but can't see how to load them up from the PC.

Thanks,
Xose
xose offline

User avatar Junior Member

Return to General Discussions about TomTom