Understanding switching files   

Understanding switching files

Postby combat goofwing » Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:41 pm

due to navcore issues i had in this thread
http://www.navitotal.com/forums/showthread.php?2157-speed-cam-differences-on-same-map-with-same-speed-cam-updates/page4

i think i am part way to understanding switching files

basically they give your devices some options it would not normally have in its standard form, and depending on what settings you put in the config folder depends on what extra options you get

how ever some devices (like mine) will be limited by the hardware they have , so although i have the options for mobile phone and bluetooth it is not possible because the hardware is not there

so with this in mind is there a guide to what settings actually give what extra features etc.

for example i patched a 730 and added new maps, now say i added a config folder with say the settings from a x40 or x50. Does the 730 have the hardware to make use of all the extra features and what would those features be

hope this is clear enough
combat goofwing offline

Premium Member

Postby djc151084 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:53 pm

If you read this thread it tells you what each switchfile is used for http://www.navitotal.com/forums/showthread.php?917-Switchfiles-for-dummies

And here are the specs of the 730

RAM : 64 MB
Internal Flash Memory : 1 GB, 2 GB + 4 GB Versions
Memory Card Slot : SD / MMC
Release Date : 2008
GPS Chipset : SiRFstarIII
CPU : 400 MHz
Screen : 4.3"
Bluetooth : YES
FM Transmitter : Yes
TMC Connection : YES
Other : Voice input, MP3

A 730 does not need to use switchfiles, as it has 64MB RAM switchfiles are only needed by 32MB RAM Devices to save some ram by turning some features off ect, a 64MB RAM Devices does not need to save RAM as it has plenty and the default for things such as bluetooth ect is ON, Hope this helps a bit.

But a 64 MB RAM Device can still benifit from changing emulation, you just create a file on the root called "model.txt" and inside put your required emu
djc151084 offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Return to General Discussions about TomTom