Unable to download maps or anything......   

Unable to download maps or anything......

Postby dazza2 » Sun Oct 05, 2014 8:20 pm

Hi,

I'm really struggling on here....

A guy I met on a job said he could update my tomtom 910 for free and introduced me to this site. He did all the updating on his laptop and left me with an updated tomtom and very happy. I have since needed to update and also add American maps but find myself way out of my depth.... I try and follow the tutorials but when I try and download anything it either doesn't work or my computer doesn't have the software to open the files and so I need to download other stuff... I am running windows 8 and it doesn't like anything! Any advise would be appreciated as I have a Florida trip looming and it's looking more likely I will have to rent another satnav as I can't update mine!!!!

Darren.
dazza2 offline

Re: Unable to download maps or anything......

Postby tendriver » Sun Oct 05, 2014 8:35 pm

We are here to help, but we need details to do so. You told us that you have a 910 & need a US map.
1. \What navcore is on your 910.
2. Do you want full US coverage or just regional covering Florida?
3. Exactly what map have you tried to download? (Very Important to know)
4. Exactly what thread is the map located in? (Also very Important to know)
I do not give help by PM. It deprives our other members of a chance to learn. Please post your issue in the appropriate forum/thread. You will get an answer.
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby dazza2 » Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:30 pm

Hi tendriver,

The problem is I am an absolute novice at this so have little or no idea.... I have copied my tomtom files to my pc and can see loads of stuff but have no idea what it all means! FastActivate is there but I cant update that... having an absolute 'mare' downloading programs that I dont want just to try and open latest fastactivate.rar as windows 8 doesn't have a compatable program. I only need a map for florida for now and so just went to the latest maps available. I think the problem is not the maps but my inability to understand what I'm doing!

so, firstly, how do I find out what navcore is on there and how might I update if i need to?
dazza2 offline

Postby dazza2 » Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:01 pm

looking at my 910 version info: App 9.101.516023.2, OS 515773?

it was updated in 2010 if that helps???
dazza2 offline

Postby tendriver » Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:01 pm

dazza2 wrote:1. having an absolute 'mare' downloading programs that I dont want just to try and open latest fastactivate.rar as windows 8 doesn't have a compatable program.
2. so, firstly, how do I find out what navcore is on there and how might I update if i need to?
3. looking at my 910 version info: App 9.101.516023.2,

1. Most people use WinRAR to unzip downloads.
2. Run: tomtom-tools-f127/tomtom-current-configuration-2011-t7501.html Post the results here.
3. Your navcore is OK. No need to change it.
I do not give help by PM. It deprives our other members of a chance to learn. Please post your issue in the appropriate forum/thread. You will get an answer.
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby dazza2 » Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:40 pm

Thanks,

I've tried running the TTCurrentConfig but windows 8 finds nothing!!!! too much head scratching for this time of night.... Will have another look tomorow.

Many thanks for your help tendriver
dazza2 offline

Postby tendriver » Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:52 am

dazza2 wrote:I've tried running the TTCurrentConfig but windows 8 finds nothing!!!!

Copy it to the root of your 910 & run it from there.
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby dazza2 » Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:18 am

Sorry but i'm just not getting it... Tried copying to (E) with 910 connected but no go... have downloaded WINrar and now have popups all over my browser.... tried downloading maps and end up with more programs telling me I need before I can download..... I'm sure it's not as difficult as I appear to be making it but I just hit brick walls at every stage...
dazza2 offline

Postby tendriver » Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:42 am

dazza2 wrote: I'm sure it's not as difficult as I appear to be making it

It is as difficult as you are making it, when you don't follow instructions!!
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby dazza2 » Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:27 pm

tendriver wrote:
dazza2 wrote: I'm sure it's not as difficult as I appear to be making it

It is as difficult as you are making it, when you don't follow instructions!!

Sorry, in my head I have followed, or at least tried to follow the instructions. I have tried to copy: tomtom-tools-f127/tomtom-current-configuration-2011-t7501.html#p45393
to the location of my 910 attached to the pc (drive E) but there is nowhere to paste it? I have also right clicked ttgo.bif as elsewhere this was suggested as the place to read what is on the tomtom but the edit option is not on the menu..... It would appear my pc will not read or recognise rar or bif files? Could this be the reason I am unable to follow the instructions or am I beyond help....?
dazza2 offline

Postby dazza2 » Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:24 pm

right, trying something else... Trying to download a map to desktop!
map is 895 4446 which would appear to be compatible with my version of navcore
I have downloaded winRAR to unzip also.
So, go to map and follow instructions. I have got to the Linksave page and used password 'navicore' as suggested. The download options of 3 different downloads or 1 single larger download are there. click on any and I am redirected to Usenet.nl. I am not given any option to open or unzip in any other program......

I have also tried the other option of opening and downloading map with installer and patcher but get redirected and unable to download..
dazza2 offline

Postby tendriver » Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:16 pm

dazza2 wrote:1. I have tried to copy: tomtom-tools-f127/tomtom-current-configuration-2011-t7501.html#p45393to the location of my 910 attached to the pc (drive E) but there is nowhere to paste it?
2. I have also right clicked ttgo.bif as elsewhere this was suggested as the place to read what is on the tomtom but the edit option is not on the menu..... It would appear my pc will not read or recognise rar or bif files? Could this be the reason I am unable to follow the instructions or am I beyond help....?
right, trying something else... Trying to download a map to desktop!
3. map is 895 4446 which would appear to be compatible with my version of navcore
I have downloaded winRAR to unzip also.
4.So, go to map and follow instructions. I have got to the Linksave page and used password 'navicore' as suggested. The download options of 3 different downloads or 1 single larger download are there. click on any and I am redirected to Usenet.nl. I am not given any option to open or unzip in any other program......
5. I have also tried the other option of opening and downloading map with installer and patcher but get redirected and unable to download..

First of all, please stop blaming Win8 for your woes. Anything needed to update/upgrade is compatible with it.
1. This is not the way you were instructed to do it in post 7.
2. Since I didn't give you instructions for this, you get a freebie. You open the ttgo.bif file with notepad.
3. Navcores 9.0XX & higher are compatible with any & every TomTom map ever published. You have Navcore 9.101
. 935.XXXX is the current map edition.
4. You didn't come close to following the instructions found at the beginning of every one of Popeye's map threads. Nor did you follow my instructions 3 & 4 in post 2.
5. Same comment as second sentence in point 4 above.
Are you starting to get the idea here??
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby dazza2 » Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:37 am

Sorry tendriver, I admit to being a computer dimwit and struggle with the terminology......

Instructions for ttgo.bif are perfect.. sorted in seconds!
[TomTomGo]
DeviceName=TomTom Go
DeviceVersionHW=GO 910
DeviceSerialNumber=XXXXXXXXXXXX
DeviceUniqueID=XXXXX XXXXX
RamDiskVersion=20061002
BootLoaderVersion=486
LinuxVersion=1387
ApplicationVersionVersionNumber=6520
ApplicationVersion=7690
UserLanguage=English UK

I will try and go through the instructions tonight again and see if I can understand where I am going wrong. I do appreciate your efforts to help and apologise for being such a numpty!

Darren.
dazza2 offline

Postby dazza2 » Tue Oct 07, 2014 7:15 am

I can not get past file factory page when I get to download in Linksave.in page. I click on arrow and get directed to file factory page. I have gone over this time and time again but at no point am I finding an option to 'uncheck file factory' and use anything else to download?
dazza2 offline

Postby tendriver » Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:14 am

dazza2 wrote:I can not get past file factory page when I get to download in Linksave.in page. I click on arrow and get directed to file factory page. I have gone over this time and time again but at no point am I finding an option to 'uncheck file factory' and use anything else to download?

That sentence now reads, "If you see, "Download with FileFactory's download manager", DO NOT USE IT!! UN-CHECK IT INSTEAD!!
You have ignored post 2 items 3 & 4 twice, therefore I have helped all I can with any other map issues.
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Next

Return to General Discussions about TomTom