TT540XXL revival   

TT540XXL revival

Postby q8kman » Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:56 pm

Hi:
Just your run of the clueless nube looking for some serious help. I looked for a similar threads but did not see one. I'm a volunteer Firefighter @ my local company. I was charged with adding gps units to our Tanker and Rescue units. So being the good little boy I purchased two refurbished TomTom 540xxl's of off Amazon (30 day warranty)
All was well until I tried to update the maps months later, one unit went without a hitch, the second unit was completely trashed when finished something wiped out the flash drive in the unit (I do not have a backup). Windows would not see it, but with Dos I did run chkdsk many times and was able to finally format the drive and make it usable. The problem is restoring the software. TomTom wont help since the unit is out of warranty and I'm not much of a hacker. I don't want to just toss this thing in the trash, just want to restore it and get it back in service.
I tried coping a backup of my personal unit to the trashed one, to test the drive, it boots up fine and gets as far as selecting a map and reports that the there is a problem with the map. I'm assuming it is a form of copy protection.
My question to you good people, is there a way around this, some means of restoring this unit. From what I've read it looks like you can update and patch the programs with stuff here but there is no mention of a situation like mine. Your system does look like a good thing I could use to update the trucks gps's for the local POI's (Fire stuff) and roads (mislabeled) I've been doing.

Thanks for reading my long plee :) ... q8kman
q8kman offline

Postby tendriver » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:51 pm

If you have a patched navcore & map on the working XXL, copy everything to the other unit & repatch the map.
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Return to General Discussions about TomTom