Touchscreen out of alignment   

Touchscreen out of alignment

Postby oldfogy » Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:19 pm

I wonder if anyone can advise me.
Basically my TT One touch-screen is about 1cm out of alignment. (Horizontally)

For instance, when typing a name in favourites when you tap a letter it chooses the letter to the left of it, it's as if the touch-pad has moved about 1cm, so unless I touch right on the right-hand side of the letter it will type the one next to it.

The same can be said when trying to select a point on a map.

I don't ever remember dropping it, and until I can get the back of to check to make sure nothing has moved then I'll have to put up with it as I have done for quite some time now, but would really love to rectify the problem.
oldfogy offline

User avatar Junior Member

Postby Downunder35m » Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:00 am

You can take it apart (instructions in the tutorial section) and clean the area around the screen frame and the display.
Sometimes you're lucky and just a bit of dust or dirt got stuck somewhere.
The partikles can be too small to actually see them with the naked eye.
If that does not work you can get a replacement for the touch panel on Ebay for only a few bucks.
Disconnect the old one, remove it carefully from the double sided tape and put the new one in.
Forum rules

[Please Register or Login to download file]

If you find broken links or missing attachments in my postings, please send me PM
Password for all my files: downunder
Downunder35m offline

User avatar Elite Member

Postby oldfogy » Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:14 am

Thanks for the reply, I'm just waiting to go and get a security bit set from Maplin Electronics here in the UK, so I will have a look later today, then let you know the outcome.

One way around most of the problem I found is to change the setting to "Left Handed" operation, that way the scroll tabs are on the left side of the screen so they do not keep selecting a item when just trying to scroll down, such as when setting speed cams.

Edit

OK, I'm back, but not with any good news I'm afraid.

First of all, the security bit set from Maplin Electronics (GU60Q @ £11.99) only contains one of the bits that will be required "T8H" (Or even CR-V2 or CR-V5/64 as marked on the bits themselves) this bit will allow you to open the case of the TomTom.
But it does not contain the "T5H" bit that is required inside the TomTom.

The set that contains both bits is the "N53AW" (normal price £20.99) but you will still have problems with the 2 bottom screws because the security bit is too wide to fit in-between the PCB and the outer case.

Although the first time I managed to remove the screws with a very tiny flat headed "well worn" screwdriver that I used to use on the screws of watches and my glasses, but after all that there is nothing that could be done to help re-align the touch-screen. (except maybe buy another touch-screen)

Obviously re-assembly is just the reverse of what was done to dismantle it, "with one exception" it was necessary to use some blue/white tac (any sticky stuff will do) to hold 2 of the screws in place on the screwdriver to be able to get them back in the holes at the bottom of the TomTom, (and lots of practise and patience)

Just a word of extra caution.
"Do not try pulling the cable free that is attached to the circuit board and the top unit with the On/Off switch which becomes separated as it has a locking tab also attached, and any excess pulling might damage the joint on the circuit board"

Like I said, changing it for left-handed "helps" to solve most of the problem, so it looks like I'll just have to put up with it.

oldfogy offline

User avatar Junior Member

Return to General Discussions about TomTom