tomtom930 touchscreen problem   

tomtom930 touchscreen problem

Postby nipperlocko » Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:10 pm

Hi there,

I have just had to have some work done on my tomtom 930, the battery needed replacing but in the process I damaged the ribbon connector block for the LCD screen so had this replaced, but now when the screen is installed the touch part does not repond, so I swapped it into a friends whom has the same model and the screen works fine. Armed with this I got back in touch with the repairer who also replaced the battery for me, I`m thinking he may of damaged something when either replacing the battery or connector block, but he cannot find fault with his work or solve it (its with him right now), so okay he`s offered a full refund and remove his parts but I really want to get it going, anyone else had the same problem, thanks in advance
nipperlocko offline

Postby djc151084 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:38 pm

nipperlocko wrote:Hi there,

I have just had to have some work done on my tomtom 930, the battery needed replacing but in the process I damaged the ribbon connector block for the LCD screen so had this replaced, but now when the screen is installed the touch part does not repond, so I swapped it into a friends whom has the same model and the screen works fine. Armed with this I got back in touch with the repairer who also replaced the battery for me, I`m thinking he may of damaged something when either replacing the battery or connector block, but he cannot find fault with his work or solve it (its with him right now), so okay he`s offered a full refund and remove his parts but I really want to get it going, anyone else had the same problem, thanks in advance

Have you had a new digitizer installed ?? maybe yours is faulty, they sit ontop of the lcd screen , they are easily found over the net, find one here [Please Register or Login to download file]
djc151084 offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby Downunder35m » Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:29 am

I think he tested the complete screen on a different TT already, so it must be on his device.
If had replaced the connector(s) and accidently created a shortcut than it is quite possible that your TT is permanently damaged.
In case he only replaced the connector for the screen and not for the touch part of it than it could be a loose connection.
If you have a good magnifying glass you can check the visible part of the solder points for shortcuts or incomplete soldering.
But sometimes you can have a shortcut right at the end under the connector so check carefully.
Forum rules

[Please Register or Login to download file]

If you find broken links or missing attachments in my postings, please send me PM
Password for all my files: downunder
Downunder35m offline

User avatar Elite Member

Postby nipperlocko » Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:43 am

Hi there,

The screen has been fully tested and working in another unit, thanks anyway
nipperlocko offline

Postby nipperlocko » Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:50 am

Hi there,

Just had some good news from the company that installed the connector block, they are now replacing the main board at their expense (presumably this means they caused the problem)although they do not admit it, its a gesture of good will and is a working spare, either way I`m happy. But the lesson to be learned here, is be extremely careful when replacing your battery in a tomtom 930, as the connector block part is very very fragile.
nipperlocko offline

Return to General Discussions about TomTom