TomTom XXL Device   

TomTom XXL Device

Postby bondy99 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:05 am

Hi,

I've purchased a cheap TomTom XXL GPS device , (awaiting arrival). Seller reckons it still in good order. However, what I would like to know, will the XXL work the same as XXL540?

If not, what can be done , apart from making a reef of it ?

I have two XXL540 devices, one works great, the other has a faulty internal battery connection (where battery connection mounts on circuit board).

Cheers,
Bondy
bondy99 offline

Re: TomTom XXL Device

Postby justbrowsing » Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:10 am

See here for precise device names relating to serial numbers. [Please Register or Login to download file] although the XXL 540 seems to be a US model:- [Please Register or Login to download file]
Either way, all XL & XXL's use TTHome and therefore are crackable
justbrowsing offline

Postby fredderf » Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:19 pm

They should be extremely similar devices but we'd need to know the first two digits of the serial number of the new one to be sure because some XXL models have a 2GB internal drive and some have a 4GB internal drive but apart from that, they are essentially the same.

The size of the drive won't matter as you're only going to put an Australian map on it anyway so it's just a case of updating it to NC 9.541 and so on...easy
fredderf offline

Administrator

Postby bondy99 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:12 pm

Thanks for the replies people.

Frederf,
As soon as I receive the device, I'll post the first two digits of the serial number. Yep, no worries I can update the NC to 9.541 etc as soon as I know what I'll need.

Update,

The device arrived . The first two digits of the serial number after C. No is RX74.

I assume that is the beginning of the serial number.

Regards,

Bondy
bondy99 offline

Postby Lucan » Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:32 pm

I am guessing they use the same operating system and the same version of that operating system, which TomTom calls the Navcore. If u update all gps to the latest same navcore/operating system, they will have identical menus etc. If u also put the same version map on them, they will operate the same. I think newer maps have slightly different graphics at intersections and highway exits (I think).
Lucan offline

Postby fredderf » Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:41 pm

Yes, you're dead right however the newer maps have the same graphics as the rest but have more advanced features like ALG for example...read more on the following page:

topic19485.html
fredderf offline

Administrator

Postby bondy99 » Wed Jul 24, 2019 5:55 am

Update,

Managed to successfully convert the old Australia 850 Map in the TomTom XXL Device to Australia 1030_9521. Thanks for the assistance.

Just one question remains, I placed Australian Shelia Voice in the Voice folder, however, I did not place the bmp of Sheila, for some bizarre reason it came back as Female Unknown number 41.

Device could not test the voice , then said only computerised voice can be used. I query this one ?

Regards,
bondy99 offline

Postby fredderf » Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:13 pm

bondy99 wrote:The device arrived . The first two digits of the serial number after C. No is RX74.

A device with RX is an XXL535/540 with a 2GB capacity

bondy99 wrote:Just one question remains, I placed Australian Shelia Voice in the Voice folder, however, I did not place the bmp of Sheila, for some bizarre reason it came back as Female Unknown number 41.

Device could not test the voice , then said only computerised voice can be used. I query this one ?

Huh...you've decided not to use the bmp associated with the voice and now you're wondering why it doesn't work?

1. There needs to be a folder in the root called voices (not Voices)
2. All of the official standard voices are available to download from here: topic19651.html
2a. The only non official standard voice in that archive is ironically the Australian Sheila voice...I'm still hoping an Aussie will help us with that but so far I've been given FA
3. If you've activated a map and you now find that some of the voices don't work...look in the voices folder in the root and delete (yes, delete) any *.DCT files and try again
4. Computer voices are better anyway as they give much more information than any standard voice can give (such as 'the next services are 'x' miles/kilometres away)
fredderf offline

Administrator

Postby bondy99 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:12 am

Thanks for the valuable advice. I'll do that later Friday night and will post back .

Cheers
bondy99 offline

Postby bondy99 » Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:17 am

Update,

I have placed the bmp in the voice folder and Australian Sheila voice works no problem. When I chose to use that voice, message on TomTom device said words to the effect "If you use this voice it will not say aloud street names unless I choose a computer voice"

I don't know why that would be the case so I ended up choosing Kate again. All is ok but curious to know why it generated the message regarding Australian Sheila.

I never had any .dct files in voice folder when I checked, if there was, I would have deleted the .dct file.

Cheers.
Bondy
bondy99 offline

Postby fredderf » Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:36 pm

The standard voices are dumb...meaning that they can only speak the very basic instructions that they are programmed with EG: turn left, right etc etc

Only computer voices can read the voice files contained within the advanced maps (that you download & use) EG: street names, services etc

As I said before, computer voices are the best ones to use as they give you a lot more information than any other standard voice does...but they do sound slightly robotic

:thread_solved:
fredderf offline

Administrator

Return to General Discussions about TomTom