TomTom Truck ''Itinerary' for a journey?   

TomTom Truck ''Itinerary' for a journey?

Postby Traveller63 » Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:59 pm

Hi,
Can anyone help out on this who has a TT Truck GPS please?

I am trying to help out a friend who has a TT Truck GPS unit, but he is not sure if his TT can be loaded with a pre-made Itinerary for a trip he is making across France & Spain.

I have the Itinerary on my GO910 but I am hoping that someone can tell me if it can be copied across to a TT Truck GPS and will work?

I am also not sure if when you connect a TT Truck up to a Windows Laptop that it can be recognised as I believe it uses a different operating system?

Thanks for any assistance.
Traveller63 offline

Postby jake_blues » Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:53 am

The truck unit I am using (I believe it's a Go5000) is just as any other TomTom satnav. It has an internal memory and a SD-card for additional maps. If I hook it up to my computer, TomTom Home starts automatically and I can access the internal memory and the SD-card via the Windows explorer. You can patch the navcore and the maps as you wish if you want to use the maps from this website.

To create an itinerary with several destinations, you can use the POI editor of your choice (e.g. [Please Register or Login to download file] ) to create an .ov2 file and copy it into the map folder on your TomTom.

Regards
jake_blues offline

Postby Traveller63 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:41 am

Hi jake_blues,
Appreciate you getting back to me, I was beginning to wonder if anyone had one of the Truck Units!

While it was good to know that you can use Windows Explorer it was interesting to see that you put the created itinerary into the Map Folder.

On my TT GO910 there is a folder called 'itn' in the Main Folder where I store all my itinerary's then any of the 3 Maps I have installed makes use of them from there.

If I put each itinerary into the Map Folder for each map then on my unit they are not recognised!

I will see what happens when I talk to my friend tonight. I think he has a TRUCK 7150 unit while the support he got for it from TT direct was to say the least pathetic!
Traveller63 offline

Postby jake_blues » Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:25 pm

Hi Traveller63,

I am sorry, there is some misunderstanding here. What I was saying is, that I compile a POI-file with all my destinations in it as Points of Interest. For me there is no point in doing multi-leg routes or itineraries, I just navigate from POI to POI.

Regards
jake_blues offline

Postby Traveller63 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:01 pm

Hi jake_blues.

Thanks for the clarification.

In view of still not being able to determine if an Itinerary Folder exists either in the Map Folder or the Main Folder on the Truck version, I will convert the itinerary of 35 places in my TT GO910 into a POI file with Tyre and send it to the friend to ask him to install it in his TT Truck 7150.

Then he can use it to call up the destinations on our forthcoming tour.

Regards
Traveller63
Traveller63 offline

Postby tendriver » Sat Aug 31, 2013 4:05 pm

tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby Traveller63 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:40 pm

Thanks for the pointer, but the itinerary which has already been created using a program called AutoRoute and then Tyre is to be installed if possible as the 2 programs work excellently for my GO910 but this will be on the TT Truck Pro 7150 and is for a 4 Tonne Motor Home (in the USA it would be called an RV) to use on a trip around Morocco, hence the need to clearly identify if an 'itinerary' folder exists on this model of TT, either in the Main Directory or the Map Folder, but the TT Pro 7150 Owner is not 'IT Literate' so hasn't got a clue about the structure of his unit as he just plugs it in and goes normally from Point A to Point B, while a 3 Month tour of Europe was carried out using all the stopping places pre-programmed as 'Favourites'.

I will say however that TT Tech Support have been totally useless on providing any assistance with this 'challenge'!
Traveller63 offline

Postby tendriver » Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:02 am

Traveller63 wrote:Thanks for the pointer, but the itinerary which has already been created using a program called AutoRoute and then Tyre is to be installed if possible as the 2 programs work excellently for my GO910 but this will be on the TT Truck Pro 7150

You completely missed the point of posting Multistop routes and how to sort them (delivery routes) in post 6.

Everyone that has to plan multistop routes or deliver a lot of stuff can plan the trip and transfer the route to the TT or Garmin.
Check the Optimap website.
Simply use the bulk entry to list your addresses, start first, finnish last,
click on "Add list of locations" - important!!
and now either click on the roundtrip or the A-Z trip to get an optimized route.
You can export the trip to view in Google maps, optimal address order, or export for Garmin and TT - apart from a few other options that are not so relevant.

The intent is if you can't find a simple way to transfer the itinerary from your device to the 7150, you might try loading it into Optimap, then export it to the 7150.
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby Traveller63 » Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:22 am

tendriver wrote:You completely missed the point of posting Multistop routes and how to sort them (delivery routes) in post 6.

Don't think I did, all I saw was a 'link' with no explanation which had it been just an email would have been deleted as SPAM, I also saw that it wanted me to go to your favourite 'Navitotal' for possibly another 40+ Malaware 'infections' so I stayed away

Everyone that has to plan multistop routes or deliver a lot of stuff can plan the trip and transfer the route to the TT or Garmin.

While I agree with your statement above, for the past 7 Years I have been using alternative software which has worked exceedingly well providing me with 100% accurate routes for use in a variety of TomToms as well as passing those routes to friends who have joined us using Garmin

Check the Optimap website.

Why do I need Navitotal when I can just use: [Please Register or Login to download file]

Simply use the bulk entry to list your addresses, start first, finnish last,
click on "Add list of locations" - important!!
and now either click on the roundtrip or the A-Z trip to get an optimized route.
You can export the trip to view in Google maps, optimal address order, or export for Garmin and TT - apart from a few other options that are not so relevant.

The intent is if you can't find a simple way to transfer the itinerary from your device to the 7150, you might try loading it into Optimap, then export it to the 7150.

If the owner of the TT Pro7150 could use his Laptop better by establishing he can see the 7150 as an added Hard Drive we might stand a chance, but as he doesn't know how to get there, maybe partly because he is also just overcoming something called Cancer that affected his head so it is proving a little difficult for him.
Traveller63 offline

Postby tendriver » Mon Sep 02, 2013 2:38 am

Traveller63 wrote:1. Don't think I did, all I saw was a 'link' with no explanation which had it been just an email would have been deleted as SPAM,
2. I also saw that it wanted me to go to your favourite 'Navitotal' for possibly another 40+ Malaware 'infections' so I stayed away.
3. While I agree with your statement above, for the past 7 Years I have been using alternative software which has worked exceedingly well providing me with 100% accurate routes for use in a variety of TomToms as well as passing those routes to friends who have joined us using Garmin.
4. Why do I need Navitotal when I can just use: [Please Register or Login to download file]

1. My bad for believing that you are a big boy & would understand what to do. The explanation is in the link!!
2. There is nothing on/in Navitotal that will give you 1 Malware infection, let alone 40+!!
3. Then why did you bother to ask us for help??
4. I have no idea. You came to Navitotal looking for help. We didn't come to you!!
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby Traveller63 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:43 am

tendriver wrote:
1. My bad for believing that you are a big boy & would understand what to do. The explanation is in the link!! [color="#FF0000"]DUH?[/color]
2. There is nothing on/in Navitotal that will give you 1 Malware infection, let alone 40+!! [color="#FF0000"]I was not the only one who got all the intended infections from Navitotal and then spent around 5 hours 'cleaning up' their PC [/color]
3. Then why did you bother to ask us for help?? [color="#FF0000"]In your style of answer "Read the first post" as I think you might of missed it.[/color]
4. I have no idea. You came to Navitotal looking for help. We didn't come to you!![color="#FF0000"]The 'help' that specifically you offered was not what I wanted as you had missed the point of the assistance sought on this occasion as the TT GPS is not mine while the person who has it is not a forum member nor understands how to get into it with his computer to see how it works[/color]

Hope this helps your understanding of this 'problem' that is currently with a friend whom I was trying to help out, however the assistance has now been obtained from another forum while sadly you missed the point.
Traveller63 offline

Postby gezt » Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:07 pm

12 posts and you act like a spoilt child blaming all your troubles on navitotal and tendriver.
well fella i have been on here awhile and never even had a hint of a virus, also used other sites but this one is best due to the great knowledge and support of admin an mods.one thing you don't do is slag off anyone who is trying to help you ,that's plain rude,
as a complete novice when i joined i just read and reread and asked questions on how to and got there without being spoonfed but being guided by the team.
if you dislike navitotal that much do yourself and everyone on here a favour by keeping to the other "forums/sites" rather than come here and slagging everyone off.
bye and close the door behind you please.:snooty:
Gez
Always said I'm slow on this computer stuff, but give me a 60s pinball machine and i will give you 1,000,000 points
gezt offline

User avatar V.I.P Member

Postby Traveller63 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:43 am

gezt wrote:12 posts and you act like a spoilt child blaming all your troubles on navitotal and tendriver.
well fella i have been on here awhile and never even had a hint of a virus, also used other sites but this one is best due to the great knowledge and support of admin an mods.one thing you don't do is slag off anyone who is trying to help you ,that's plain rude,
as a complete novice when i joined i just read and reread and asked questions on how to and got there without being spoonfed but being guided by the team.
if you dislike navitotal that much do yourself and everyone on here a favour by keeping to the other "forums/sites" rather than come here and slagging everyone off.
bye and close the door behind you please.:snooty:

Sounds like someone rattled you pram and you started throwing out the toys!
Traveller63 offline

Postby Downunder35m » Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:39 am

There are two problems here that I can see.
1. The general problem with an iternery on a TT - IMHO it is simply crap as in 99% cases you need to skip the point as the TT simply does not care if you are just near enough.
2. The attitude of the user.

I simply can't stand people that post a thread with
"My friends...."
"I helped out..."
"Trying to fix.... for..."
Why? Because of their attitude as seen nicely in this thread.
In most cases they have no idea, are not taking our advise and if I look around I find the same postings in several forums.
I'm not a gas fitter, so I won't offer to install a hot water system - so why do you offer help if you idea about the problem?
What you really do is trying to get some recognition from your "friend" by asking other people to fix the problem for you,
on top of it you complain to us.
Do you really think this is the right way????

By the time you finnished planning your trip a normal user would have simply entered the next address from his list and continue driving ;)
If you want our help change your attitude please, otherwise let your "friend" ask for help directly instead of offereing help where you can't help.
Forum rules

[Please Register or Login to download file]

If you find broken links or missing attachments in my postings, please send me PM
Password for all my files: downunder
Downunder35m offline

User avatar Elite Member

Postby Traveller63 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:42 am

While this was the message I got in relation to the TT Pro 7150 that I am trying to help out a friend who lives in GB and had cancer in his head which has been cut out, I am saddened that helping out friends is not liked on this forum....

"Oh happy days, thanks for info on the dredged unit.
I have updated my unit a couple of days ago only had speed cameras for France (not updated) and a general thing, tom tom didnt recognized our my account, so new password and awaywe go, but have known these things and just live with it, I leave the computer for a few mins and try again, I just thought it was the modern way to mess us up. The only person that would help me in my hours and hours of need was you.
You sorted and searched for week's. I was looking around the tt unit, and in my searches I have seen thoes screen's you posted a day or so ago. I hadn't noticed ‘itn’ but thats not saying its missing.
I would never give Morocco a thought without my sat nav, in fact I use ours to destinations I know, sometimes it takes me different routes and later found out the motoway had bad traffic, thanks you mr tt. The map we purchase was to make the the trip real, because at some points over the last few month's it was a very very distant reality, now the map its a reference and a make up of Morocco, also will draw the route on the map, now that reminds us of The Artic Circle tour when we highlighted the route it was absolutely magic, Lofoten Islands and for many miles onwards was just like the driving, I have never had so much pleasure drawing on a map.
Back to TT I have a good feeling that we will find a way hopefully with all your investigations on this unit of mine."

I will however not be entering into any more discussion concerning this post.

My initial request asking for help from a TT Pro 7150 User was responded to by such a person for which I am grateful for the help.
Traveller63 offline

Next

Return to General Discussions about TomTom