tomtom one (30 series) won't start   

tomtom one (30 series) won't start

Postby schobo » Mon May 14, 2012 10:50 pm

My tomtom one 30 won't go past the black screen with the tomtom logo. I have done the following: updated tomtom home 2; reset; press and hold reset until a page of technical data shows up on the device; done a full format of the device and re-installed the application; charged the unit all night. In short, I have done everything that I could find about it on the forums, and nothing changes. Here's what happens when I turn it on: First off, I have to hold the ON button for about 4 seconds before anything happens, the tomtom logo screen appears (black background, tomtom with the hands playing drum symbol), then an orange screen appears with the device pictured and a little hard drive in the lower left. A progress bar appears, goes all the way across the bottom, then the black tomtom logo screen reappears. There is a slight change of brightness in the logo screen after it has been on for a couple of seconds, but the device doesn't go any farther than that. If I want to turn it off, I have to press and hold the switch down for 20 seconds before it shuts off. If I hold it down for longer than that, a screen of technical data appears. I've also taken a working unit, copied the files, formatted the non-working unit, and installed the copied files. No change.
schobo offline

Postby tendriver » Tue May 15, 2012 1:58 am

schobo wrote:My tomtom one 30 won't go past the black screen with the tomtom logo. I have done the following: updated tomtom home 2; reset; press and hold reset until a page of technical data shows up on the device; done a full format of the device and re-installed the application; charged the unit all night. In short, I have done everything that I could find about it on the forums, and nothing changes. Here's what happens when I turn it on: First off, I have to hold the ON button for about 4 seconds before anything happens, the tomtom logo screen appears (black background, tomtom with the hands playing drum symbol), then an orange screen appears with the device pictured and a little hard drive in the lower left. A progress bar appears, goes all the way across the bottom, then the black tomtom logo screen reappears. There is a slight change of brightness in the logo screen after it has been on for a couple of seconds, but the device doesn't go any farther than that. If I want to turn it off, I have to press and hold the switch down for 20 seconds before it shuts off. If I hold it down for longer than that, a screen of technical data appears. I've also taken a working unit, copied the files, formatted the non-working unit, and installed the copied files. No change.

Have you tried TT Home "Operate my device"?
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby Downunder35m » Tue May 15, 2012 2:06 am

Is there any chance that you tried a V9 Navcore and on the way changed the bootloader?
Can you remember what NC's versions you tried and if the file "system" was included?
Except for the format you've done the right thing and I could suspect a faulty flash memory.
It should be possible to add an internal SD in case the internal memory won't come back to life.
Forum rules

[Please Register or Login to download file]

If you find broken links or missing attachments in my postings, please send me PM
Password for all my files: downunder
Downunder35m offline

User avatar Elite Member

Postby schobo » Tue May 15, 2012 10:18 am

tendriver wrote:Have you tried TT Home "Operate my device"?

I have done, and it wouldn't
schobo offline

Postby schobo » Tue May 15, 2012 10:22 am

Downunder35m wrote:Is there any chance that you tried a V9 Navcore

I found a post on another forum that suggested I format the device and download "tomtom.com/sweet/navcore/9.401.2-1021.CAB-navcore-LE.cab " and install it. I did that, and the device started. The first screen asked for language preference, the next ask for left-or right-hand operation, the next was miles/km, the next asked for time display format, and the next was to set the correct time. After I set the correct time and the pushed the 'done' button, the unit stopped and rebooted back to the tomtom logo screen, language preference screen, etc. until I get to the time set screen, freezes up, reboots. Is the internal SD soldered to the board? I have limited electronics skills (clearly). If it were made of wood, I would be all set (I'm a carpenter)
schobo offline

Postby Downunder35m » Tue May 15, 2012 12:11 pm

That clearly sounds like a corrupt memory.
To 100% sure we ruled everything out please install the attached bootloader:
Unpack to the root of your device, confirm to overwrite if necessary.
Start your TT and it should give you a screen with a warning not to turn off - the bootloader is being installed.
Check again if you still have the same problems.
If so your only option is trying to add a SD to the circuit board, there is a tutorial for that.
If your skills are not that good just use an adapter and a micro SD.
A fine tip for the soldering iron is recommended.
Forum rules

If you find broken links or missing attachments in my postings, please send me PM
Downunder35m offline

User avatar Elite Member

Postby schobo » Wed May 16, 2012 12:29 am

Downunder35m wrote:Unpack to the root of your device
Not sure how to do this...copy and paste? I will trade you secrets of carpentry; how to make a cope joint
schobo offline

Postby Downunder35m » Wed May 16, 2012 12:41 am

LOL, ok again for total Noobs ;) :
Download the archive.
Use Winrar to open/extract the contained file with the name "system" to the root of your Tomtom.
If there is already such a file confirm to overwrite.
Start the TT and report back, if still the same you might have to think about a new device or if you want to try adding a SD.
Forum rules

Downunder35m offline

User avatar Elite Member

Postby schobo » Wed May 16, 2012 1:49 am

Downunder35m wrote:still the same
Yeah, it went through of "please wait" screens but still won't start. Where is the tutorial on how to change the SD? It is too light for a doorstop or an anchor, so might as well keep trying to fix it.
schobo offline

Postby Downunder35m » Wed May 16, 2012 2:03 am

You'll find it in our tutorial section ;)
Forum rules

Downunder35m offline

User avatar Elite Member

Postby wGk » Wed May 23, 2012 6:25 am

I have a Start -(gift) Frozen on startup Flash screen
NO help whatsoever on the net (including TomTom)
Yea right -What flipping reset hole - or hold down Start Button for 20 seconds after charging for 2 hours -BS
To Fix
1 put your start away in a drawer (So now you can ignore it)
2 Wait till the battery runs itself out - The screen goes black
3 Plug your TomTom into the computer via USB cable
4 Push Restart button on TT
- Your computer will recognize your TT as a USB drive
5 Go there and DELETE everything
6 Reinstall your Backup
- You did back up your TT didn't you (I use Rar)
- Unpack your backup to your TT drive
Works like a charm
wGk
G is for Gord
wGk offline

Postby schobo » Wed May 23, 2012 10:51 am

Might have worked for you, but I deleted all my files (that's what I meant when I said I 'formatted' the unit), installed the files from an identical unit known to be working, and still got no results. Re-formatted, put on the original files that I had backed up, and no change. Finally, I took it out to the driveway and ran over it with my van, and got a Garmin Nuvi. That was the only thing that worked.
schobo offline

Postby tendriver » Wed May 23, 2012 11:31 am

Thanx for the update.

THREAD_CLOSED
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Return to General Discussions about TomTom