TomTom ONE XL - Does not Load Past Start-Up Screen / Tutori   

TomTom ONE XL - Does not Load Past Start-Up Screen / Tutori

Postby bets91 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:17 am

First of all, my respect and admiration to to all the contributors and admins of this great forum.

I have looked at the tutorial section but I couldn't find one that had step by step instructions on how to wipe out and load new maps to my TomTom ONE XL. I currently tried to follow the upgrade tut by cOmputer found under the tutorial sections and I ran into several issues, for example, that I didn't have enough space. (I was using internal memory, NO SD card) and after making it fit, my tomtom just shows the power up picture but never loads. Even though I did a backup the back up fails during the restore process. As you can see, I'm pretty screwed up. Any advice, pointers and help will be greatly appreciated.
bets91 offline

Postby tendriver » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:38 pm

Thanx for the forum compliment. What specifically have you done?
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby bets91 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:39 pm

tendriver wrote:Thanx for the forum compliment. What specifically have you done?

Thanks for your quick reply. Here is what I did:

1. Made a backup using tt home 2.7.
2. Copied map 860.3128 to map folder on gps.
3. Copied and ran fastactivate from the root, clicked all buttons.
4. Once completed I tried running the gps and found it was starting up, it would hang on the power splash screen.
5. Therefore, I went to the tutorial section and looked a the tutorials to see which was applicable and I chose the one submitted by computer.
6. Downloaded all the necessary files and started replacing the files as per the tutorial. I think twice I ran into the disk being full so I deleted the poi I had downloaded into my GPS and the additional voices and continued to replace the remaining files.
7. Last gave it another try and th same thing happen, where it oils not load past the power on screen. I downloaded th flash tool and tried about three times and still it didint load.
8. I gave up, since I was going on vacation with it so I tried to restore using th backup I created and about 3/4 into the restore it game and error that certain file was missing or corrupt and terminated the backup restore.

Here you go.. Where did I go wrong?
bets91 offline

Postby tendriver » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:38 am

bets91 wrote:Thanks for your quick reply. Here is what I did:

1. Made a backup using tt home 2.7.
2. Copied map 860.3128 to map folder on gps.
3. Copied and ran fastactivate from the root, clicked all buttons.
4. Once completed I tried running the gps and found it was starting up, it would hang on the power splash screen.
5. Therefore, I went to the tutorial section and looked a the tutorials to see which was applicable and I chose the one submitted by computer.
6. Downloaded all the necessary files and started replacing the files as per the tutorial. I think twice I ran into the disk being full so I deleted the poi I had downloaded into my GPS and the additional voices and continued to replace the remaining files.
7. Last gave it another try and th same thing happen, where it oils not load past the power on screen. I downloaded th flash tool and tried about three times and still it didint load.
8. I gave up, since I was going on vacation with it so I tried to restore using th backup I created and about 3/4 into the restore it game and error that certain file was missing or corrupt and terminated the backup restore.

Here you go.. Where did I go wrong?

You went wrong, starting with step 1.
1. We never use TT Home for a backup. We create a folder on the puter desktop & copy the unit contents to it.
2. Ok
3. OK
4. You don't mention which navcore, patching it or using a pre-patched one.
5. That is the worst choice you could have made.
6. Bad move, but not your fault.
7. No harm done.
8. This is why we ever use TT home.

How much memory do you have. what map do you need?
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby bets91 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:16 am

tendriver wrote:You went wrong, starting with step 1.
1. We never use TT Home for a backup. We create a folder on the puter desktop & copy the unit contents to it.
2. Ok
3. OK
4. You don't mention which navcore, patching it or using a pre-patched one.
5. That is the worst choice you could have made.
6. Bad move, but not your fault.
7. No harm done.
8. This is why we ever use TT home.

How much memory do you have. what map do you need?

Boy, Boy, Oh boy!!! And here I was thinking I was the Man.... I'm driving back home from the trip, but as soon as I get home I'll give the details on which files I used. As for memory I'm using whatever is built in which is about 1GB. (Should I be using a 2 or 4 GB SD Card?) I had downloaded the US Canada Map Ver. 860.3128. From looking at the forum there is a newer one out already. Thanks for your help. I know I keep repeating myself but I don't want it to by unnoticed.
bets91 offline

Postby tendriver » Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:45 am

bets91 wrote:Boy, Boy, Oh boy!!! And here I was thinking I was the Man....
1. I'm driving back home from the trip, but as soon as I get home I'll give the details on which files I used.
2. As for memory I'm using whatever is built in which is about 1GB. (Should I be using a 2 or 4 GB SD Card?)
3. I had downloaded the US Canada Map Ver. 860.3128.
4. From looking at the forum there is a newer one out already.

Thanks for your help. I know I keep repeating myself but I don't want it to by unnoticed.

1. Not necessary, because you are going to start over from scratch.
2. Get a Brand name 4 GB SDHC. Class rating is not important.
3. That map has no features.
4. No, 860 is still current for another week or so.
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby bets91 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:09 am

tendriver wrote:1. Not necessary, because you are going to start over from scratch.
2. Get a Brand name 4 GB SDHC. Class rating is not important.
3. That map has no features.
4. No, 860 is still current for another week or so.

1. Great to know that there is still hope.
2. Going to JR to get the Sandisk 4GB SDHC Card.
3. Feature? Explain
4. Cool.

I'll keep you posted.
bets91 offline

Postby tendriver » Tue Feb 08, 2011 3:04 am

3. Feature? Explain

ALG...........Advanced Lane Guidance, pictorial representation of major junctions
ASR...........Address Speech Recognition ( aka voice input navigation )
cspeech......files used for Spoken Address Navigation feature
IQ Routes...Intelligent Quick Routes, uses statistical analysis of 'real' users to plot best route

1. Start TT Home. Click Tools, HOME Preferences, Folders tab. Follow the path to your TT Home backup & see if all of the files is still there.
If yes, go to step 2.
2. Copy & paste the backup files to your card.
3. Go here: TomTom Automatic Navcore Installation Read ALL of the instructions carefully. Select: SE_Navcore.9.205.547817_32mb_devices.rar (Widescreen ONLY)
4. Go here: 860 maps with installer and Fast Activate Read ALL of the instructions carefully. Select your choice:

North_America_860.3101 1,7Gb

United_States_2GB_866.3101 1,46Gb

USA_and_Mexico_860_3101 1,62Gb

Basically USA & C maps cover the same geographical area as the North America maps, but they are featureless.
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby bets91 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:53 pm

Status Update

3. Thanks for the explanation and clarification, you always learn something new.

1. I'm currently restoring the TT using the backup that was in the computer and it is finally loading again. Thanks for that.
2. I going over to pickup the SD Card now from my neighbor who bought it for me.
3. I had already downloaded that same file - SE_Navcore.9.205.547817_32mb_devices.rar
4. I have chosen to download North America 860.3101 because I don't see myself driving to Mexico. To Canada, yes I'm only about 8 hours away.

That's all for now, I'll keep you posted on my progress.
bets91 offline

Postby tendriver » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:13 am

bets91 wrote:1. I'm currently restoring the TT using the backup that was in the computer and it is finally loading again. Thanks for that.

2. Copy & paste the backup files to your card.
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby bets91 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:58 am

Status Update 2

2. Point Noted, I just wanted to know the backup worked.

2. I copied my backup to the new 4GB SD Card. (Tried the GPS and it booted and worked)
3. I installed SE_Navcore.9.205.547817_32mb_devices.rar and replaced the ttsystem file as requested by the installation.
4. I am currently installing North America 860.3101. It's late so I'll leave it over night running. In the morning I will run the FastActivator and update the META.txt file first and then click on the rest of the buttons.

Curiosity questions:

A. I assume I will no longer us TT Home to Manage and update POIs and Speed Cams, or Fuel Prices for my TT, Correct? If so, will I always need to use FastActivator for my TT to accept does changes?
B. I see that in the navcore there is an option of switching maps, Can I just simply keep adding maps to my SD and then Switch them as needed?

bets91 offline

Postby tendriver » Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:31 am

bets91 wrote:A. I assume I will no longer us TT Home to Manage and update POIs and Speed Cams, or Fuel Prices for my TT, Correct? If so, will I always need to use FastActivator for my TT to accept does changes?
B. I see that in the navcore there is an option of switching maps, Can I just simply keep adding maps to my SD and then Switch them as needed?

A. Still use TT Home for anything FREE, like POIs & Speed cams. Navitotal does not have access to US Fuel Prices.
B. If you are referring to Switchfiles.zip, that is not for maps. But the answer is still Yes. You switch in TT Main Menu, Change Preferences.
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby bets91 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:10 am

bets91 wrote:Status Update 2

2. Point Noted, I just wanted to know the backup worked.

2. I copied my backup to the new 4GB SD Card. (Tried the GPS and it booted and worked)
3. I installed SE_Navcore.9.205.547817_32mb_devices.rar and replaced the ttsystem file as requested by the installation.
4. I am currently installing North America 860.3101. It's late so I'll leave it over night running. In the morning I will run the FastActivator and update the META.txt file first and then click on the rest of the buttons.

Curiosity questions:

A. I assume I will no longer us TT Home to Manage and update POIs and Speed Cams, or Fuel Prices for my TT, Correct? If so, will I always need to use FastActivator for my TT to accept does changes?

Status Update 3

4. Map installed successfully and I was able to activate it. I turned the GPS on, went to preferences, clicked switch maps and changed to the newly installed one and it is working.

Last, thank you so much for you time, devotion and patience on walking me thru the installation. How can I repay you for such good deed? Thanks a bunch!!!
bets91 offline

Postby tendriver » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:54 am

bets91 wrote:Status Update 3
4. Map installed successfully and I was able to activate it. I turned the GPS on, went to preferences, clicked switch maps and changed to the newly installed one and it is working. Last, thank you so much for you time, devotion and patience on walking me thru the installation. How can I repay you for such good deed? Thanks a bunch!!!

You are Welcome. My pay is to have a happy member with an updated unit!!! Enjoy!!
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Return to General Discussions about TomTom