Tomtom one xl - pc COMMENT -MUST be formatted to be recognis   

Tomtom one xl - pc COMMENT -MUST be formatted to be recognis

Postby TRUCKERDAZZ » Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:44 am

My mate has given me his tomtom one xl (2nd hand) to see if i can get it working again. Problem is when i plug it in my pc (win 7 os) says it needs to be formatted to be recognised??

Can anyone tell me if its totally bricked or is there a solution???

Thanks in advance for any help!!
TRUCKERDAZZ offline

User avatar Junior Member

Postby Downunder35m » Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:58 am

What does it say when using TT Home?
Usually a format is not required as it should be recognised as a storage device.
However it might be possible that there is some damage to the filesystem, so do a checkdisk first if possible.
If your XL has a SD slot try using a SD card first.
Forum rules

[Please Register or Login to download file]

If you find broken links or missing attachments in my postings, please send me PM
Password for all my files: downunder
Downunder35m offline

User avatar Elite Member

Postby TRUCKERDAZZ » Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:28 pm

Ive managed to get it to recognise the tomtom and when ive gone into properties the hdd is completely blank and is not showing any format "type" details?? And it wont complete the format anyway - err! (just gave it a try- seeing as there is nothing on it anyway). As for the sd card....it eventually works but switches off after a while and reboots!! So now i'm stuck??
TRUCKERDAZZ offline

Postby djc151084 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:29 pm

TRUCKERDAZZ wrote:Ive managed to get it to recognise the tomtom and when ive gone into properties the hdd is completely blank and is not showing any format "type" details?? And it wont complete the format anyway - err! (just gave it a try- seeing as there is nothing on it anyway). As for the sd card....it eventually works but switches off after a while and reboots!! So now i'm stuck??

[color="red"] Take a full backup of your device with windows explorer (Copy and Paste) and KEEP IT SAFE[/color] [color="royalblue"]You can ignore this step as you unit is blank[/color]
  • Download SE_Navcore.9.205.547817_32mb_devices.rar (Widescreen ONLY) from here http://www.navitotal.com/forums/showthread.php?2831-TomTom-Automatic-Navcore-Installation
  • Extract the .exe to your PC (Password for the rar is - navitotal)
  • Run the .exe from your PC
  • Choose the Drive letter of your TomTom
  • Click Install and wait
  • Download your required map When downloaded extract the map to its own folder in the root of your device
  • Run the included AutoActivate.exe . . . . Wait for it to finish and job Done
  • Restart device and enjoy
djc151084 offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby TRUCKERDAZZ » Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:03 pm

Thanks DJC, The tomtom will not let me copy/install anything over to the unit!! It continually asks to be formatted first..... And it turns out that I read the properties screen wrong........ its saying Free & Used space as "0" (hence the incorrect "blank hdd" comment I made earlier) but the pie chart is actually showing the drive as FULL!! Something drastically wrong with this piece of kit. Its only the SD card that's keeping this working. If I cant access the internal HDD then I might aswell give him it back and tell him to get a new one because I've done this a few times now with help from yourself and others and can confidently update mine and friends navs with little or no help (depending on how smoothly it goes). Thanks for the advice though.......I'm learning all the time from you seasoned pro's!!
TRUCKERDAZZ offline

Postby tendriver » Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:36 pm

TRUCKERDAZZ wrote:Thanks djc, the tomtom will not accept anything from the pc until it is formatted. cannot copy or install anything to the unit!! and i was wrong before when i said it was blank because i read the Used space as "0" when in fact the pie chart was showing the hdd as FULL!! There is something drastically wrong with this piece of kit? It appears then that the only thing keeping it going is the SD card, but that drops the ball every now and then so i think i will give it back and tell my mate to buy a new one! I appreciate the help and advice(which i need from time to time).

Please edit either of these 2 posts, so the other can be deleted. We don't recommend formatting a memory except for extreme cases. This is one of those cases. Of course you want your mates permission to do so.
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby TRUCKERDAZZ » Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:22 pm

Thanks tendriver!!

Problem solved...Explained it to my mate and he's taken it back and going to buy a new one!! phew!!
TRUCKERDAZZ offline

Postby tendriver » Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:49 pm

TRUCKERDAZZ wrote:Thanks tendriver!!

You are Welcome.

THREAD_CLOSED
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Return to General Discussions about TomTom