TomTom Go old skool can it be updated?   

TomTom Go old skool can it be updated?

Postby marcy99 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:47 am

Hi Guys long time no write.

I have just acquired a TomTom Go device I am not exactly sure of the version but it looks the same as this one here [Please Register or Login to download file] *UPDATE* I have been told it is a Go Go classic

I am looking to see if it possible to upgrade it to a better navcore and perhaps install an up to date UK map. If anyone can shed any light as the best way to update it (if this is possible of course) I would sure appreciate it.
[font="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="4"]I am part of the contribution community - I have donated, have you? [/size][/font] :naughty:
marcy99 offline

V.I.P Member

Postby Downunder35m » Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:21 am

The 8.412 or 8.417 Navcore should work fine on your oldie and they support maps with ALG and IQ routes.
You can use the automatic installer from here : :link:
For the UK map use the 870.3406 from here ::link:
To activate the map use FastActivate or AutoActivate from the link provided in the map thread, follow the instructions.

Using computer voices won't be possible, but you can use the normal and premium voices.
Forum rules

[Please Register or Login to download file]

If you find broken links or missing attachments in my postings, please send me PM
Password for all my files: downunder
Downunder35m offline

User avatar Elite Member

Postby marcy99 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:50 pm

Thank you so much for all the information you have given me I have read many of your threads and you really are an asset to members on this site. I will follow your advice and reply with out come.

Many thanks again
[font="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="4"]I am part of the contribution community - I have donated, have you? [/size][/font] :naughty:
marcy99 offline

V.I.P Member

Postby marcy99 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:44 pm

Downunder35m wrote:
You can use the automatic installer from here : :link:

I have used the automatic installer and it has installed files and folders on my original Tomtom SD card

For the UK map use the 870.3406 from here ::link:
To activate the map use FastActivate or AutoActivate from the link provided in the map thread, follow the instructions.

I have installed map on to root of card

Using computer voices won't be possible, but you can use the normal and premium voices

*Problem, when using autoactivate installed with auto update above it says 'TIGO.BIF or TTNAVIGATOR not found in ROOT directory (I can't find it anywhere?) Also there is no voices folder do I create this and try activating them with another activator?

I am getting there just a few hurdles.
marcy99 offline

V.I.P Member

Postby tendriver » Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:59 pm

marcy99 wrote:*Problem, when using autoactivate installed with auto update above it says 'TIGO.BIF or TTNAVIGATOR not found in ROOT directory (I can't find it anywhere?)

A ttgo.bif file is created everytime you boot the device. If you made a backup of the contents of the card, there should be a ttgo.bif file in it. If so, copy it to the card & rerun the activator. If not, disconnect the GO from your computer. Shut it down & restart it. You won't get a complete boot, but it should be enuf to create the ttgo.bif file. Shut it down & reconnect to your computer. If the file was created, rerun the activator.
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby lemoni » Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:01 am

marcy99 wrote: Also there is no voices folder do I create this and try activating them with another activator?

If you made a backup of the original contents, then just copy across the voices folder into the current setup.
If not, then run TomTom HOME and download the free voices you want from there.
Alternatively, download voices from the sub-forum "Voices": http://www.navitotal.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?126-Voices
TomTom GO 730, Navcore 9.051c, 64Mb RAM, Australia 900.4602, Bootloader: 5.5250
TomTom ONE v1, Navcore 9.170SE, 32Mb RAM, Australia 900.4602, Bootloader: 5.5244
lemoni offline

User avatar Junior Member

Postby marcy99 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:56 am

tendriver wrote:A ttgo.bif file is created everytime you boot the device. If you made a backup of the contents of the card, there should be a ttgo.bif file in it. If so, copy it to the card & rerun the activator. If not, disconnect the GO from your computer. Shut it down & restart it. You won't get a complete boot, but it should be enuf to create the ttgo.bif file. Shut it down & reconnect to your computer. If the file was created, rerun the activator.

Ok I did what you have said and put the sd card in the TomTom it makes a melodic sound and then shows the TomTom logo and then nothing. I have left it to do its thing but nothing is happening it seems to get stuck on the logo. I have also tried hard resetting it but to no avail. To check and see if it is the machine I put the original data back on to the SD card and it loads fine.

Can I just confirm that 8.412 is compatible? the only reason I ask is that the auto installer installs MP3 folders and such that are not relevant to the Go classic as it is an old skool device.

marcy99 offline

V.I.P Member

Postby tendriver » Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:02 pm

marcy99 wrote:Ok I did what you have said and put the sd card in the TomTom it makes a melodic sound and then shows the TomTom logo and then nothing. I have left it to do its thing but nothing is happening it seems to get stuck on the logo. I have also tried hard resetting it but to no avail. To check and see if it is the machine I put the original data back on to the SD card and it loads fine.

Can I just confirm that 8.412 is compatible? the only reason I ask is that the auto installer installs MP3 folders and such that are not relevant to the Go classic as it is an old skool device.

For confirmation

1. You have a copy of the unit's ttgo.bif file on the card
2. You have 8.412 Autoinstalled on the card.
3. You have downloaded, unzipped & copied a map to the card.
4. You have updated the meta file in FastActivate or AutoActivate & run it to patch the map.
5. You have confirmed that the map is patched by having a .meta & a .meta.dct file in the map folder.
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby marcy99 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:05 pm

tendriver wrote:For confirmation

1. You have a copy of the unit's ttgo.bif file on the card
2. You have 8.412 Autoinstalled on the card.
3. You have downloaded, unzipped & copied a map to the card.
4. You have updated the meta file in FastActivate or AutoActivate & run it to patch the map.
5. You have confirmed that the map is patched by having a .meta & a .meta.dct file in the map folder.

I can confirm I have tried all the above and that there are meta files in the folder after patching (which went fine after copying the ttgo.bif file) but still no luck. To check the card I transferred the original data and that all loaded up fine so its not the card. I have managed to find some more information for you which may help you confirm the correct navcore. The details under about are:

APP 4.400 2843/040900 OS200
32MB ram free 10.1mb
GPS V1.21 BOOT 429
MAP GREAT BRITAIN V390
LANGUAGE ENGLISH UK

Would it possible just to update the map and speed cameras and leave out the updated navcore if so which are the latest UK maps that are compatible ?
marcy99 offline

V.I.P Member

Postby Downunder35m » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:33 pm

I think the bootloader is your problem.
I recommend an update to the 5.5112 as you might need a higher bootloader for the support of new Navcores and features.
To confirm please post the full version number of the bootloader, it should be 5 digits and not just 3.
You can leave the Navcore and use a map suited for Navcore 7.9 and PDA but again you Navcore is outdated too and won't support any V8xx map.

Imho the best way is to update the bootloader and try the new Navcore again.
Check the downloaded archive(s) for a file named system - it might be renamed with the added version number.
If so you can rename it by cutting off the version number from filename.
After a start with the new bootloader on the SD it will be installed and the new Navcore should work just fine.
Forum rules

If you find broken links or missing attachments in my postings, please send me PM
Password for all my files: downunder
Downunder35m offline

User avatar Elite Member

Postby tendriver » Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:44 am

marcy99 wrote:I can confirm I have tried all the above and that there are meta files in the folder after patching (which went fine after copying the ttgo.bif file) but still no luck. To check the card I transferred the original data and that all loaded up fine so its not the card.
1. I have managed to find some more information for you which may help you confirm the correct navcore. The details under about are:

APP 4.400 2843/040900 OS200
32MB ram free 10.1mb
GPS V1.21 BOOT 429
MAP GREAT BRITAIN V390
LANGUAGE ENGLISH UK

2. Would it possible just to update the map and speed cameras and leave out the updated navcore if so which are the latest UK maps that are compatible ?

1. If 8.412 was not compatible with your device, it would have never been recommended to you.
2. With your current navcore, NO!!!.
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby vtsravanelli » Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:45 am

im having similar troubles with the same product!

tried everything you have suggested, on boot up it loads the tomtom logo, goes to the loading screen and then crashes and fades out to a white screen!

any suggestions would be great because guess what...i forgot to back up my original folder. :bomb_mini:

ok, update, id missed that part with the renaming of the system folder, which i had to remove the original system file, and rename the new (system5....) so now the bootload screen works, and then it goes back to black, then another tom tom logo, then i get a green tom tom go screen with what looks like a picture telling me to remove the memory card?
vtsravanelli offline

Postby tendriver » Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:59 am

vtsravanelli wrote:im having similar troubles with the same product!

tried everything you have suggested, on boot up it loads the tomtom logo, goes to the loading screen and then crashes and fades out to a white screen!

any suggestions would be great because guess what...i forgot to back up my original folder. :bomb_mini:

ok, update, id missed that part with the renaming of the system folder, which i had to remove the original system file, and rename the new (system5....) so now the bootload screen works, and then it goes back to black, then another tom tom logo, then i get a green tom tom go screen with what looks like a picture telling me to remove the memory card?

system5 is not a valid bootloader file name. It should be just system. You should boot the device 2 times after you change the bootloader.
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby vtsravanelli » Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:00 am

yeah sorry, that was what it was originally and then i have renamed to "system"

im re-doing the maps at the minute incase that will make a difference since i have renamed the system file...:(
vtsravanelli offline

Postby tendriver » Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:03 am

vtsravanelli wrote:yeah sorry, that was what it was originally and then i have renamed to "system"

im re-doing the maps at the minute incase that will make a difference since i have renamed the system file...:(

Don't waste your time doing this. It won't make any difference. You should boot the device 2 times after you change the bootloader.
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Next

Return to General Discussions about TomTom