Tomtom maps   

Tomtom maps

Postby david7307 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:14 am

How old are the latest TomTom maps my road that i live on is not on the tomtom maps ,but i have just been on to the supplier of the maps and he says the road is on there maps why would there be a discrepancy with them
many thanks By the way my road is part of an old highway and had been here since the 1950sAnd has been on nevteq maps for as long as thy have done maps in Au for Gps
david7307 offline

Postby tendriver » Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:05 am

david7307 wrote:How old are the latest TomTom maps my road that i live on is not on the tomtom maps ,but i have just been on to the supplier of the maps and he says the road is on there maps why would there be a discrepancy with them
many thanks By the way my road is part of an old highway and had been here since the 1950sAnd has been on nevteq maps for as long as thy have done maps in Au for Gps

The current 860 maps were released one month ago, on Nov. 17.
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby djc151084 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:22 pm

david7307 wrote:How old are the latest TomTom maps my road that i live on is not on the tomtom maps ,but i have just been on to the supplier of the maps and he says the road is on there maps why would there be a discrepancy with them

did tendrivers answer solve your question ?

thanks
djc
djc151084 offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby tendriver » Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:13 pm

djc151084 wrote:did tendrivers answer solve your question ?

thanks
djc

I feel certain david 7307 will reply the next time he logs on & reads the answer.
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby david7307 » Fri Dec 24, 2010 2:30 am

Sorry i took so long
No it did not really answer question ,maybe i phrased it wrong
what year was the maps given to Tomtom Because i got in contact with the map provider and thy say the road i live on ,is on there maps ,but it is not showing up as yet on Tomtom mapping for Australia
david7307 offline

Postby Downunder35m » Fri Dec 24, 2010 3:16 am

I think I can help out here :
Sensis provides the digital data to TT and if you check the online street directory (which data is provided by Sensis too) you will notice huge differences in the old country sides and for new estates.
I tried both ways : roprting errors using mapshare and sending detailed report by Email to Sensis.
As a result two roads that are now closed for public on private land are marked as such in the street directory but not on TT maps.
Sensis is not really up to date in terms of roads outside the city coverage areas as they rely on maps that are sometimes 100 years old.
One response from Sensis was like that :
We use the latest tracking equippment similar to Google for the logging of new roads but there is no time to rescan all country roads that might have changed a little bit over the past.

This shows up really good when use a GPS software that allows you to set your position free and not locked to the road - you will se that sometimes you drive up to 30m on the laft or right of what your map shows.

As a result of all that I gave up triying to contact TT by mail about these errors because the only response is that they claim to use the data from Sensis as it is provided.
I still use an old 850 map with all my corrections when I drive through the high country as after now 8map updates the same old errors are still in the new map....
Many people that I met on my 4WD trips use several GPS programs at the same time and go for the best route on either of them.
Navteq maps for example have a very detailed coverage of the country areas (compared to Sensis on TT) same goes for Garmin.
Since the online data from Sensis you can check is pretty much accurate I have to blame TT for these errors and no change policy as I don't think Sensis would manipulate the data for TT on purpose.
I might be wrong but I think TT partly owns Sensis now anyway.
If I would know which other GPS software uses data provided by Sensis we could check if the errors are only for TT or generally for the digital data provided by Sensis.
Forum rules

[Please Register or Login to download file]

If you find broken links or missing attachments in my postings, please send me PM
Password for all my files: downunder
Downunder35m offline

User avatar Elite Member

Postby david7307 » Fri Dec 24, 2010 3:44 am

I know the maps are miles out of date We have an area on a main highway that states 80 in a 110 speed area and 110 in an 80 speed area and thy are right next to each other
Friend is using naveman with navteq and he says it all right with him and our road and house number comes up
how can i load navteq new maps on my old binatone lol
david7307 offline

Postby tendriver » Fri Dec 24, 2010 4:39 am

david7307 wrote:I know the maps are miles out of date We have an area on a main highway that states 80 in a 110 speed area and 110 in an 80 speed area and thy are right next to each other
Friend is using naveman with navteq and he says it all right with him and our road and house number comes up
how can i load navteq new maps on my old binatone lol

[Please Register or Login to download file] +
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Return to General Discussions about TomTom