TomTom on a Garmin Nuvi 300   

TomTom on a Garmin Nuvi 300

Postby EddieKruger » Fri Nov 26, 2010 3:29 pm

Hi, I need to ask you what may seem like a stupid question. I spoke to someone the other day that says he got TomTom working on a Garmin unit. Won't tell me how. Now i know that they both work on "Linux" operating systems so maybe it is possible. If so, is it just a matter of removing everything on the Garmin except for the operating system and then copying the info from my TomTom XL onto the Garmin Nuvi 300. If this is correct, when pressing on the power button on the Garmin, will it automatically know which file to launch?
EddieKruger offline

Postby chas521 » Fri Nov 26, 2010 3:42 pm

EddieKruger wrote:Hi, I need to ask you what may seem like a stupid question. I spoke to someone the other day that says he got TomTom working on a Garmin unit. Won't tell me how. Now i know that they both work on "Linux" operating systems so maybe it is possible. If so, is it just a matter of removing everything on the Garmin except for the operating system and then copying the info from my TomTom XL onto the Garmin Nuvi 300. If this is correct, when pressing on the power button on the Garmin, will it automatically know which file to launch?

First of all Eddie, there is NO such thing as a stupid question. Before you go ahead and try to edit/delete anything, backup your device in case something goes wrong. Next question, why are you interested in Garmin when you have a working TT? You know what I mean. All upgrades/updates to whatever can be found on this site. A lot of things can be done but some might not be wise. My experience says that sometimes it works with no problems. Other times not so much.
If it ain't broke don't fix it!
ALWAYS BACK-UP YOUR FILES/FOLDERS BEFORE MAKING EDITING CHANGES!

Please do NOT post any thanks. Simply press the hand icon with the "thumb up" which is the thank you button.
chas521 offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby EddieKruger » Fri Nov 26, 2010 3:49 pm

It is not Garmin that i am interested in. I want to get TomTom running on my Garmin unit. My son uses my Garmin unit and he wants TomTom on it. Does'nt like Garmin!
EddieKruger offline

Postby chas521 » Fri Nov 26, 2010 3:55 pm

EddieKruger wrote:It is not Garmin that i am interested in. I want to get TomTom running on my Garmin unit. My son uses my Garmin unit and he wants TomTom on it. Does'nt like Garmin!

Thanks for clearing that up. FYI, TT [WinCE version] doesn't seem to be that great. Just throwing it out there. Keep looking here because the mods here know what they're doing and if it can be done, they will tell you how.

Please do NOT post any thanks. Simply press the hand icon with the "thumb up" which is the thank you button.
chas521 offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby EddieKruger » Fri Nov 26, 2010 4:12 pm

Thanks, i just thought that it would be possible as TT and Garmin both work on "Linux" operating systems. But i will keep watching this thread.
FYI i have TT working on my Chinese PNA 5.1" screen WinCE5 64MB Ram 100%. Never ever do i get the "not enough memory" problem that other forum members are experiencing. Never have to shut down with a "route in progress" Came with this unit when i purchased it.
EddieKruger offline

Postby chas521 » Fri Nov 26, 2010 4:24 pm

EddieKruger wrote:Thanks, i just thought that it would be possible as TT and Garmin both work on "Linux" operating systems. But i will keep watching this thread.
FYI i have TT working on my Chinese PNA 5.1" screen WinCE5 64MB Ram 100%. Never ever do i get the "not enough memory" problem that other forum members are experiencing. Never have to shut down with a "route in progress" Came with this unit when i purchased it.

Good for you. It's just that Xtyler92 didn't care for it too much. He actually prefers Destinator and Garmin. But he likes iGO navs more.

chas521 offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby tendriver » Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:02 pm

EddieKruger wrote:It is not Garmin that i am interested in. I want to get TomTom running on my Garmin unit. My son uses my Garmin unit and he wants TomTom on it. Does'nt like Garmin!

chas521 wrote:Thanks for clearing that up. FYI, TT [WinCE version] doesn't seem to be that great. Just throwing it out there. Keep looking here because the mods here know what they're doing and if it can be done, they will tell you how.

Garmin has a dedicated Linux system as does TomTom...So this is IMPOSSIBLE.
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby Fatboyfun » Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:55 pm

I'd think you would have had to at least flash a new firmware or modified bootloader into the unit to have any chance of achieving this.
Currently sleeping...
Fatboyfun offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby tendriver » Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:43 pm

Fatboyfun wrote:I'd think you would have had to at least flash a new firmware or modified bootloader into the unit to have any chance of achieving this.

See post 7...
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby Fatboyfun » Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:52 pm

I meant the Linux firmware, Prob have to jtag it in though. :D
Fatboyfun offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby tendriver » Sat Nov 27, 2010 2:28 am

Fatboyfun wrote:I meant the Linux firmware, Prob have to jtag it in though. :D

I repeat. See post 7.
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby EddieKruger » Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:09 am

Well guys, for all those who got involved in this thread, thanks for trying. Really appreciate it.
EddieKruger offline

Return to General Discussions about TomTom