Tomtom cause BSOD (blue screen of death) when connecting to the PC - possible fix   

Tomtom cause BSOD (blue screen of death) when connecting to the PC - possible fix

Postby Downunder35m » Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:14 am

If you don't want to know how I found the fix, skip to the spoiler ;)

As some might know I got myself a VIA to play around with and well, if you play you can break things ;)
At some stage I just wanted to check for updates, connect the TT and instantly my Windows was dead, all open files lost - you know the deal...
That's where the endless search for solutions started because only the VIA caused a BSOD and no other USB device I connected.
Pretty obvious that MyTT must be the cause, so I unistalled it, removed all the residue from HDD and registry for a fresh install.
No Luck, same BSOD when connecting.
A day spent searching the TT support forum showed me a lot of people with the same probem but no working solution so far.
If you check Google for BSOD caused by USB devices you'll find tons of useful info but it all comes down to people blaming Acronis True Image, a Antivirus soft or tuning programs for the cause.
By pure luck I ened on a website discussing USB problems on Kindle Ebook readers - that got me on the right way!
Kindle as well as Nokia and the new TT models not just use a simple USB connection but also transfer data using SSH and the Ethernet over USB protocols provided by RNDIS.
Have no Kindle so it was down to check if my Nokia suite still works and it did...
The only resource left for Windows that is involved in the USB connections apart from the drivers is ActiveSync and the new Mobility Center for the CE/WM based devices.
So here is a fix that can be tested for the BSOD if you encounter it with your TT:

[spoiler]BSOD Fix]
1. to make things easy in terms left oversstart your Windows in Safe Mode
2. uninstall MyTT using the system control panel
3. unistall all Activesync and other software for Windows mobile devices
4. reboot in normal mode
5. if you need Activesync or the Windows mobile center install the latest version now
6. install the latest version of MyTT

Now your TT should be able to get connected again and there should be no more blue screens and reboots.
Feedback is welcome ;)[/spoiler]
Forum rules

[Please Register or Login to download file]

If you find broken links or missing attachments in my postings, please send me PM
Password for all my files: downunder
Downunder35m offline

User avatar Elite Member

Return to General Discussions about TomTom