TomTom GO 910 with 9.205.547817 Navcore PowerUp question   

TomTom GO 910 with 9.205.547817 Navcore PowerUp question

Postby Wan-King » Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:02 pm

Hi Guys,

First of all, many thanks for all your hard work. Thanks to you my ageing 2006 TomTom 910 is now brought to 2011.

I used the SE 9.205.547817 for 32mb devices package, then upgraded the boot loader to 5.5259 without a hitch, now running australia 860.3101 and europe 860.3102 maps.

It was a clean install, everything backed up first using the windows explored, then formatted the HD, then updated. I had to copy (overwrite) the old loquendoTTS folder to the root of the device to get the voices back after the update. I also got rid of the Outsorced folder, as per the forum instruction.

I now have a few (minor) issues;

the power on is very sluggish, especially when connected to external power. Pressing the on button does nothing most of the time, but exactly 45 seconds after the power is applied to the car mount, it will power on, but it would be a "reboot" style power on, as if it was removed from the usb bracket after an update, i.e. first the boot up screen, then the tomtom screen, then the splash screen. It then works normally and when the power to the car mount is removed, it goes off in 10 seconds,as expected.

I could not get the mapsettings.cfg to work even with adding the fake favourite with tomotom home, eventually I got it to see the old favourites without rebooting, but as soon as one was selected (navigate to) it would reboot. I am not that bothered about this, happy to redo them again.

Very slow when recalcuting the route if one deviates from the original route. Again, I can live with this too, jus wanted to know if everyone else is experiencing the same.

Apart from the above, it is back to being the top dog again, very many thanks!

PS For what is worth, I had the base connector repaired (the non charging issue, with broken solder pins) but after the repair, it worked without a hitch with the old 7.903 navcore.

I would be gratefull if someone in the know can shed some light on the power issues.
Wan-King offline

Postby multipazz » Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:24 pm

if you have deleted the outsourced folder...
I believe you should also delete the switches file

as for the power.. the device is now quite old..
perhaps you could replace the internal battery
see this thread for take apart instructions for go x10 devices

http://www.navitotal.com/forums/showthread.php?1668-Dismantling-Tomtom-devices
device: TomTom GO 930 T
ttsystem: 9.205
map: Europe 885.4008

device: Garmin Oregon 450t
system software: v4.20
gps software: v4.52
maps:-
GB Discoverer 50K All
Thames Path Discover 25K
TOPO GB v2
Recreational Map Europe v3
BlueChart® g2 Vision: UK & Ireland (VEU706L)
multipazz offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby Macca-009 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:35 pm

Wan-King wrote:the power on is very sluggish, especially when connected to external power. Pressing the on button does nothing most of the time, but exactly 45 seconds after the power is applied to the car mount, it will power on, but it would be a "reboot" style power on, as if it was removed from the usb bracket after an update, i.e. first the boot up screen, then the tomtom screen, then the splash screen. It then works normally and when the power to the car mount is removed, it goes off in 10 seconds,as expected.

Hi - I updated a 710 (910 with SD Slot instead of HDD) to 9.205 with B/L 5.5250 and got exactly the same result. It appears to be the B/L update that causes the issue. Changing (back) to a different Navcore does not resolve the problem and of course, 'downgrading' to an earlier Bootloader is not an option. I've learned to live with it, it can be useful in some instances especially if the power to the mobile mount is ignition switched. There is one slight difference with the 710 which is that removing the SD Card also makes the unit power on after 40/45 seconds. I had cause to upgrade the bootloader to get sdhc compliance, not sure that you've gained anything from your B/L update though - might've been wiser to leave as it was. As for your other issues, these did not manifest themselves on the 710 or on a 910 that I have which has 9.205 N/C with the original B/L.

Macca
GO930's with Voice Control
Maps: UK, EU & NA + Cameras (with ogg files)
Macca-009 offline

User avatar V.I.P Member

Postby tendriver » Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:40 pm

Wan-King wrote:Hi Guys,

First of all, many thanks for all your hard work. Thanks to you my ageing 2006 TomTom 910 is now brought to 2011.

I used the SE 9.205.547817 for 32mb devices package,
1. then upgraded the boot loader to 5.5259 without a hitch, now running australia 860.3101 and europe 860.3102 maps.

2. It was a clean install, everything backed up first using the windows explored,
3. then formatted the HD, then updated. I had to copy (overwrite) the old loquendoTTS folder to the root of the device to get the voices back after the update.
4. I also got rid of the Outsorced folder, as per the forum instruction.

I now have a few (minor) issues;

the power on is very sluggish, especially when connected to external power. Pressing the on button does nothing most of the time, but exactly 45 seconds after the power is applied to the car mount, it will power on, but it would be a "reboot" style power on, as if it was removed from the usb bracket after an update, i.e. first the boot up screen, then the tomtom screen, then the splash screen. It then works normally and when the power to the car mount is removed, it goes off in 10 seconds,as expected.

I could not get the mapsettings.cfg to work even with adding the fake favourite with tomotom home, eventually I got it to see the old favourites without rebooting, but as soon as one was selected (navigate to) it would reboot. I am not that bothered about this, happy to redo them again.

Very slow when recalcuting the route if one deviates from the original route. Again, I can live with this too, jus wanted to know if everyone else is experiencing the same.

Apart from the above, it is back to being the top dog again, very many thanks!

PS For what is worth, I had the base connector repaired (the non charging issue, with broken solder pins) but after the repair, it worked without a hitch with the old 7.903 navcore.

I would be gratefull if someone in the know can shed some light on the power issues.

1. Why?? The 9.205 bootloader is 5.5250.
2. I never recommend erasing the old setup, except in a few sever cases.
3. Same as number 2.
4. Switchfiles.zip also.

If it were my unit, I would clear the HD & copy my backup back in. Then start all over.

I would install, [Please Register or Login to download file] + the ttsystem & PNDNavigator files from X_ttsystem.9.205.547817.1
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby Wan-King » Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:25 pm

Thanks for a speedy reply guys, much appreciated.

About the bootloader, I read the reply 36 to 38 here http://www.navitotal.com/forums/showthread.php?2831-TomTom-Automatic-Navcore-Installation/page4 and thought the 710 would be very similar to 910 in the way it runs once powered up. I used the cab file recommended in post 38 and that took the orignial bootloader 4.88XXX to 5.5259. I suppose there is no way to downgrade back to the original 4.88xx even if the backup running navcore 7.903 with the original bootloader is restored? Doh, I should have spent more time reading the forum!

I went for a clean install because I had few problems with bad clusters on the drive in the past and the unit was running slow until I defragmented the drive and marked the bad clusters last year. that improved things and I thought the most recent upgarde would be the perfect opportunity to see if the bad clustes on the HDD were permanent or just corrupted. Full format took care of them. I believe this was caused by the bad battery that was replaced with a new one about the same time. The base connector got broken a few times in the past, I kept fixing it until it came off completely after a long trip in january. I dismantled the unit completely, superglued it to the pcb first and then resoldered all joints back. I haven,t had a problem since and I know it was charging fine prior to the new navcore upgrade.

I am going to try tendrivers insctructions and files in the post above, after I restored the old setup. Will let you know how I got on.

many thanks again!
Wan-King offline

Postby tendriver » Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:17 pm

Wan-King wrote:Thanks for a speedy reply guys, much appreciated.

1. About the bootloader, I read the reply 36 to 38 here http://www.navitotal.com/forums/showthread.php?2831-TomTom-Automatic-Navcore-Installation/page4 and thought the 710 would be very similar to 910 in the way it runs once powered up. I used the cab file recommended in post 38 and that took the orignial bootloader 4.88XXX to 5.5259. I suppose there is no way to downgrade back to the original 4.88xx even if the backup running navcore 7.903 with the original bootloader is restored? Doh, I should have spent more time reading the forum!

2. I went for a clean install because I had few problems with bad clusters on the drive in the past and the unit was running slow until I defragmented the drive and marked the bad clusters last year. that improved things and I thought the most recent upgarde would be the perfect opportunity to see if the bad clustes on the HDD were permanent or just corrupted. Full format took care of them. I believe this was caused by the bad battery that was replaced with a new one about the same time. The base connector got broken a few times in the past, I kept fixing it until it came off completely after a long trip in january. I dismantled the unit completely, superglued it to the pcb first and then resoldered all joints back. I haven,t had a problem since and I know it was charging fine prior to the new navcore upgrade.

I am going to try tendrivers insctructions and files in the post above, after I restored the old setup. Will let you know how I got on.

many thanks again!

1. No harm done. For clarification, each navcore has it's own bootloader. For future upgrades for your 910, stick with the bootloader in the new navcore.
2. OK, I understand & have no problem with the whats & whys.
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby Wan-King » Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:40 am

Hi,

I followed tendrivers instructions to the letter;

1. Format HDD
2. Copy back all of the old content
3. Installed http://www.navitotal.com/forums/noref.php?url=http://download.tomtom.com/sweet/navcore/9.205.rider3.CAB-navcore-RIDER.cab overwriting all requested files/folders, also ttsystem and PND navigator from http://www.navitotal.com/forums/noref.php?url=http://protect-my-links.com/?id=r1fyypqb

Unfortunately that made the TT freeze up as soon as the current map was loaded. i could even get to the statu info before it froze up but I suspect the bootloader was still the 5.5259 as the familiar bootloader "please wait" sequence on reboot did not take place.

I then restored again the old backup (with navcore 7.903) and that worked fine with bootloader 5.5259.

I then restored the backup i made just prior to carrying out tendrivers instructions and I am now back where I was as per the top post, running navcore 9.205.547817.1 OS 547200 with bl 5.5259

It looks like it is not possible to downgrade the bootloader from 5.5259 to 5.5250 unless a specific script with "doctored" checksums is written to fool the TT into thinking it is an upgrade, whereas it is really a downgrade. That would be beyond my knowledge though, so it looks like I am stuck with 5.5259 until there is a new navcore upgrade that requires bootflash higher than 5.5259.

Just for reference, I also tried to just copy the PND navigator and the ttsystem file from tendrivers file to see if that would make the tt downgrade the bootloader, but the file lengths were exactly the same as the overwritten ones and it had no effect whatsoever on the tt operation. It appears that the freeze up takes place when the 9.205.rider3.CAB-navcore-RIDER.cab is used, the PNDNavigator and the ttsystem files are just the same as what was there to start with.

Anything else I could possibly try, or will I just have to wait for the new navcore and a right bootloader higher than 5.5259?

Many thanks for your help!
Wan-King offline

Postby Downunder35m » Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:02 am

If you are relly concerned about the bootloader you can download this archive : [Please Register or Login to download file]
Password if any : downunder
Unpack the file "system" from the archive to your device, confirm overwrite if necessary.
The bootloader is the archive is the 5.5128 which is compatible for all devices (except the VIA and 1xxx) but it will show up as "0" when you check it.
It is meant for devices that get massive USB problems after installing the wrong bl like some ONE models.
For the damaged HDD you can replace them with compatible drives of up to 80GB or install a CF card with adaptor as a replacement.
Forum rules

[Please Register or Login to download file]

If you find broken links or missing attachments in my postings, please send me PM
Password for all my files: downunder
Downunder35m offline

User avatar Elite Member

Postby tendriver » Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:06 am

Wan-King wrote:I followed tendrivers instructions to the letter;
1. Format HDD
2. It looks like it is not possible to downgrade the bootloader from 5.5259 to 5.5250

Not exactly.

I stated that we don't recommend formatting, except in sever cases.
I also stated that there was no harm done having b/l 5.5259.

I have no idea what "please wait" you are referring to.
Confirm that your map has been patched, by seeing a .dct file in the map folder.
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby Wan-King » Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:18 am

Top stuff DU, worked exactly as you said, now my bootloader reads 0.0000 meaning the TT should now take the bootloader upgrade to 5.5250. Although the power issue is still there with the 5.5128 and I'll try the correct 5.5250, the 5.5128 one seems a little more stable and faster when browsing through menus compared to 5.5259, so I may go back to it after all.

TD, I was referring to the second boot screen after a new "system" file is added or overwritten. when the actual bootloader upgrade takes place one gets a brief "please wait" screen in all languages, the critical "have you battery fully charged and do not interupt until finished" moment. If this does not take place on the first bootup at least once after the new "system" file is placed in the root of the device, the bootloader upgrade is not taking place?

You are spot on, bootloader 5.5259 with 9.205.517817.1 (for32mb devices) is fine apart from this power on issue, which, if all fails, I am just going to have to live with.

Many thanks for your guidance and prompt help guys!

I nominate DU's reply #8 for a "sticky" The way to go for all that got their bootloader wrong!
Wan-King offline

Postby tendriver » Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:33 am

Wan-King wrote:Top stuff DU, worked exactly as you said, now my bootloader reads 0.0000 meaning the TT should take the bootloader upgrade to 5.5250although the power issue is still there with it and I'll try the correct 5.5250 this one seems a little more stable and faster when browsing through menus, so I may go back to it after all.

1. TD, I was referring to the second boot screen after a new "system" file is added or overwritten. when the actual bootloader upgrade takes place one gets a brief "please wait" screen in all languages, the critical "have you battery fully charged and do not interupt until finished" moment. If this does not take place on the first bootup at least once after the new "system" file is placed in the root of the device, the bootloader upgrade is not taking place?

You are spot on, bootloader 5.5259 with 9.205.517817.1 (for32mb devices) is fine apart from this power on issue, which, if all fails, I am just going to have to live with.

Many thanks for your guidance and prompt help guys!

I nominate DU's reply #8 for a "sticky" for all the people whi got their bootloader wrong!

1. Interesting. I've installed 25 or 30 navecores w/ b/l & have never seen either message.

You have gone to an awful lot of needless trouble & worry over the bootloader. I only mentioned it as an advisory & am now sorry I did.
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby Wan-King » Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:28 am

Upgrade from bootloader rescue (0.0000 aka 5.5128) to 5.5250 sucessful.

Unfortunately the power issue is still present, but it is better now. More ofthen than not it will now power up as normal when away from the car bracket.

The workaround would be to power up with the button before attaching to the car mount. It will go off in 10 seconds when the the power to the car mount is removed via the ignition switch, as expected. Of course, this option needs to be enabled in battery saving prefences.

I'll do some more road testing over the week with 5.5250 and will let you know.

Very many thanks for your help, I would have been completely lost without navitotal!
Wan-King offline

Postby Wan-King » Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:52 am

tendriver wrote:1. Interesting. I've installed 25 or 30 navecores w/ b/l & have never seen either message.

You have gone to an awful lot of needless trouble & worry over the bootloader. I only mentioned it as an advisory & am now sorry I did.

1. I will get a picture of the TT screen for you if I decide to go back to the bootloader rescue. Not a problem and a pleasure.

You guys have done such an amazing job with these units and I am so grateful to have found you in my hour of need. As one good turn deserves another, I wanted to persue the bootloader issue in the hope it will cure my power problem but also to gain a little more understanding of how these work and to share my experience with others. This kind of work is never a waste of time, although my issue is not sorted at present, I reckon we all learned a few new things with the ageing TT910. I reckon the incorrect bootloader was possibly making mine slow when recalculating, but time will tell for sure.

We now know how to recover from the bootloader disaster, know that every navcore comes with specific bootloaders and have a better idea how to approach a TT910 and what to expect from the upgrade.

These units are still a top dog and there would have been a lot more of them around if it wasn't for a crappy car mount design, which is not impossible to fix, but requres SMT soldering skills and equipment and a small risk of FUBAR-ing it if things go wrong.

I had mine from new since 2006, and it still sucessfully evades the recycle bin, mainly thanks to the guys like navitotal.com
I am a heavy TT user, my job takes me to a different place every day and I would have been literally lost without it since I moved down under. If you ever need a new release tester, please feel free to PM me, it would be a pleasure.

Very many thanks again, your hard work is very much appreciated!
Wan-King offline

Postby tendriver » Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:19 am

Bootloader suggested
TomTom Gox10/x20/x30/x40/x50 = 5.5242
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby Wan-King » Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:47 am

Many thanks!

I had to, of course use DU's rescue bootloader system file first to get the TT to the bootloader "upgradeable" condition.

It now works as expected when away from the car mount, on and off without the wait or reboot. With the car mount, still the same, comes on exactly 45 seconds after the power is applied via ignition and it is always a reboot. Goes off within 10 sec of power kill to the mount. When booted it appears to be fast and stable, but I'll road test it for a day or two bfore definitive conclusion. 5.5242 looks like an improvement. We are getting closer!

Here is the link to the screenshot when bootloader is upgraded, as promised.

[Please Register or Login to download file]

Sorry I did not know how to paste it to the reply.

Thanks TD!
Wan-King offline

Next

Return to General Discussions about TomTom