TomTom 720 Voice problem   

TomTom 720 Voice problem

Postby Peterrabbitte » Wed May 28, 2014 11:38 am

Hi, hope that some one can help me with this problem, I’ve looked through the postings while I can see some post about voices I can’t see any like my problem.
I’ve was using a TT 720 running Navcore 9.510, Boot 5.5279, using UK&RI 920.5421 map everthing worked OK, I tried to add Western Europe 920.5421 on the main memory, but it is too big to fit so I added it on a 2Gig SDcard, It really screwed everything up, TT wouldn’t boot to begin with on internal memory, without SD, when I managed to get it working again, I’d lost all voices, standard and computer voices, I posted this on an other forum and was told to check and see if I had /ASR/support_asr.dat, for standard voices, after I replace that file. It was missing, I managed to get standard voices to work, but only on Line-out, FM and Bluetooth settings, no matter what I tried I was not able to get internal Speaker to sound standard or computer voices, don’t even get drum roll on cold boot, BTW speaker works OK, tried speaker on an other TT. I’ve tried Cold Format followed by TT_Home updates 9.150 but to no avail, also tried copying what was a working system from backup, but I’ve run out of Ideas now, is there a Linux/Unix setting in the memory the blocks speaker output, or have I blown the speaker driver on MoBo. Any Ideas would be gratefully accepted
Peterrabbitte offline

Re: TomTom 720 Voice problem

Postby hottottie » Wed May 28, 2014 12:32 pm

Do you still have something on the INTERNAL? If so without an SD card plugged in, connect TT to your pc and run clear flash 3 times, if it will still boot from INTERNAL with whatever software you have on there, reset to factory settings in menu and do a hardware reset (hold reset button for 30 secs).
Then delete everything from INTERNAL.. no need to format, just select everything and delete.
Then check the drive for errors, 'find and fix system errors', if it finds lost fragments 'found.000,001 e.t.c.) delete these also.
keep checking for errors until it says 'no errors found and disk is read to use'.
When your sure the internal is empty and the device is all reset and you power it on it just shows the red 'x' flashing.
Then start again only using the SD card, forget about the INTERNAl.
Let tomtom home put the latest Navcore on then put the map on you wish to use, fastactivate and then see how you go.
Perhaps put the old map and software on first that you know was working.
If you still have no sound from the speaker only from line out or fm transmitter this could be a hardware problem..
Let me know.
Last edited by hottottie on Thu May 29, 2014 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
hottottie offline

Postby tendriver » Wed May 28, 2014 1:34 pm

Peterrabbitte wrote:1. I’ve was using a TT 720 running Navcore 9.510, Boot 5.5279, using UK&RI 920.5421 map everthing worked OK, I tried to add Western Europe 920.5421 on the main memory, but it is too big to fit so I added it on a 2Gig SDcard,
2. It really screwed everything up, TT wouldn’t boot to begin with on internal memory, without SD, when I managed to get it working again, I’d lost all voices, standard and computer voices,
3.I posted this on an other forum and was told to check and see if I had /ASR/support_asr.dat, for standard voices, after I replace that file. It was missing, I managed to get standard voices to work, but only on Line-out, FM and Bluetooth settings, no matter what I tried I was not able to get internal Speaker to sound standard or computer voices, don’t even get drum roll on cold boot, BTW speaker works OK, tried speaker on an other TT. I’ve tried Cold Format followed by TT_Home updates 9.150 but to no avail, also tried copying what was a working system from backup,

1. Do you mean 920.5241 maps? There are no 920.5421 maps!
2. There is no way that just putting a map on a SD card will cause your problems. Did you forget to mention anything else that you did? Exactly what was on the card, the first time you tried to use it?
3. The support_asr.dat file has nothing to do with voices on your 720. It enables you to talk to your 720.
4. Try the easy fixes first. Confirm internal speaker is selected in speaker preferences & that sound has not been turned off in preferences. 30 sec hard reset. factory reset in preferences. Try adding voices using TT home. If no help then start over & rebuild
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby Peterrabbitte » Thu May 29, 2014 1:56 pm

Hi again and thank you all for your help and suggestions, as you point out the maps are 920.5241, typo error sorry.
the problem started as I said when I tried to add Western_Europe 920.5241 to my 720, it was already running UK&I 920.5241 with computer voice, on Navcore 9.510, Boot 5.5279. it was to be a loan for my son who was going to Germany, I was expecting to get the TT back when he came back, as the map is fairly large it wouldn’t all fit in the internal memory, I inserted a spare 2Gig SDHC card and loaded WE_920.5241 onto it, that was all that was on the SD card, after activating it with fast activate 6, it was then that problems started when I tried to switch from UK&E to WE on TT map switch menus, TT said you cant use this map, can’t remember the reason, but it was then that I lost the voices, been like that since, can get voice on headset socket, FM 107 and BT, but not on speaker, can’t think of anything else that happened, when I do Flash on the TT I get a file left in memory “ttn” done flash at least 3 times and hard reset for 30secs but still no voices, done the flash and reset again, at least 3-4 times rebuilt system from Tomtom home, back to 9.150 full factory reset added UK&I 920.5241 again, still only get voices on Line-out socket like brfore,looks like whatever I did has screwed it completely
Many thanks for your help once again
Peterrabbitte offline

Postby tendriver » Fri May 30, 2014 4:27 am

Peterrabbitte wrote:it was then that problems started when I tried to switch from UK&E to WE on TT map switch menus, TT said you cant use this map, can’t remember the reason, but it was then that I lost the voices, been like that since, can get voice on headset

The WE map didn't get patched.
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby Peterrabbitte » Fri May 30, 2014 9:36 am

Hi, would the fact that an unpatched map on an external SDcard cause the vioce on the main speaker to give up? tried the other suggestion of clearing the internal memeory and setting up an sdcard from TomTom Home, it still ends up the same, no speaker voices, but they work when selected on TT speaker menu, headphone, BT & FM, looks like I've really blown the speaker driver. thanks for your help anyway
Peterrabbitte offline

Return to General Discussions about TomTom