TomTom GO 720, navcore and TMC advise   

TomTom GO 720, navcore and TMC advise

Postby RJ45 » Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:45 pm

Hi,

A while ago I bought a GO720, complete with accessoires (charger, dock, TMC-antenna, case) for about 80 euros. Seems a good deal, considering the general idea on this forum is that this device is good candidate for all sorts of navcores/bootloaders/upgrades/experiments, has a SDcardslot and 64MB RAM.

The navcore was 8.398 and the bootloader 5.5120 when I received it.
Everytime I put the device on the dockingstation/connect with PC via USB-cable the device frooze with a black screen after pressing the "yes" -button when it asked "connect to PC?".
The ONLY way to reset it was by doing a 30sec reset on the resetbutton WHILE power was connected! Lucky I had a seperate mini-usb charger, because pressing the resetbutton while on the dockingstation is not possible.
I ran clearflashtool, but the "soft-reset" this tool sends also froze the device.
Only after upgrading the bootloader to 5.5250 the freezing problem was gone.

Then I connected to TomTomHome to get the latest navcore, but it said this device is already up to date. Because I knew navcore 9.430 is the latest for this device I completely wiped the (internal) flash and let TomTomHome upgrade the device.
It installed first 7.480, then 8.300, then 8.351, then 9.430. This latest navcore runs fine, but I am missing ASR now. TMC has never worked at all.

The reason I describe this whole process here, before asking anything is that it might help others with the same or similar issues and of course, to inform what I already have done.

Questions:
  1. How to get ASR working with NC 9.430?
  2. How to get TMC working with NC 9.430?
  3. Is there anybody at all who has TMC working on this device and if yes, wich navcore and bootloader are you using?
  4. Wich navcore and wich bootloader do you recommend for maximum functionality for this device?

I have not seen any "traffic sidebar" with any of the navcores. Not with nor without TMC-antenna connected.

Thanks in advance for any advise.
RJ45 offline

Postby tendriver » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:18 pm

RJ45 wrote:1. Then I connected to TomTomHome to get the latest navcore,
2. but it said this device is already up to date. Because I knew navcore 9.430 is the latest for this device I completely wiped the (internal) flash and let TomTomHome upgrade the device.
It installed first 7.480, then 8.300, then 8.351, then 9.430.
3. This latest navcore runs fine, but I am missing ASR now. TMC has never worked at all.

The reason I describe this whole process here, before asking anything is that it might help others with the same or similar issues and of course, to inform what I already have done.

Questions:
4. How to get ASR working with NC 9.430?
5. How to get TMC working with NC 9.430?
Is there anybody at all who has TMC working on this device and if yes, wich navcore and bootloader are you using?
6. Which navcore and wich bootloader do you recommend for maximum functionality for this device?

1. We never use TT Home for navcore updates.
2. TT Home was correct to say this device is already up to date. The 720 is a designated Truck model. When TT Home saw that it had the current Truck navcore, it was satisfied that the navcore was up to date.
3. I suspect that the 9.430 ASR folder is missing the support_asr.dat file.
4. See point 3.
5. Fixing TMC reception with NC 9.4xx should solve this issue.
6. 9.430. Current Official 720 bootloader is 5.5120.
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby Downunder35m » Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:18 pm

The freezing problem might be related to garbage in the residential memory, a hard reset (hold reset for 30+ sec) followed by the TT Clear Flash tool would be my first step.
After that, download this bootloader and unpack the archive to the root of your device or SD if you use one. 4768
For the TMC try a fresh install of the 9.430 I posted, it contains the fixed files for the TMC reception, but you still have the problem that your device does not recognise the TMC receiver.
If it is an old style with the wound connector try pushing it in really hard as the last bit is often very tight.
If it is already a USB version the replaced bootloader might fix that problem if there is not defective hardware.
Forum rules

[Please Register or Login to download file]

If you find broken links or missing attachments in my postings, please send me PM
Password for all my files: downunder
Downunder35m offline

User avatar Elite Member

Postby tendriver » Fri Sep 28, 2012 3:55 pm

Downunder35m wrote:1. The freezing problem might be related to garbage in the residential memory, a hard reset (hold reset for 30+ sec) followed by the TT Clear Flash tool would be my first step.
After that, download this bootloader and unpack the archive to the root of your device or SD if you use one. 4768

2. For the TMC try a fresh install of the 9.430 I posted, it contains the fixed files for the TMC reception, but you still have the problem that your device does not recognise the TMC receiver.
If it is an old style with the wound connector try pushing it in really hard as the last bit is often very tight.
If it is already a USB version the replaced bootloader might fix that problem if there is not defective hardware.

1. The freezing issue has already been solved.

2. This is the only remaining issue.
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby gezt » Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:44 am

On my 530 the tmc can be a bit stubborn at times..i have isolated it to the cable into the oval part. play with that section of cable may get it working.it's very hit and miss.
or try another tmc cable if possible then see if theres any difference,
the side bar will only show when tmc is connected.
Gez
Always said I'm slow on this computer stuff, but give me a 60s pinball machine and i will give you 1,000,000 points
gezt offline

User avatar V.I.P Member

Postby RJ45 » Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:46 pm

Thanks for your replies!
The ASR is working now, the ASR directory was present and "filled" in the 9.430 navcore I downloaded as posted by Downunder.
Indeed, the freezing problem was already fixed, as described in my first post.

Since I never saw TMC working on a TomTom, I don't know what to expect and what was fixed with the mctx.dat file.
For instance:
- Do I have to turn something on in the menu? When I press the "traffic" icon in the menu, the message is: "bluetooth is disabled" or "you need to set up a wireless connection".
I assume this is another kind of traffic information?

- When I plug in the receiver, wich has a mini-jack plug, yes its completely plugged in, does something have to change on the screen immediate?

Yes, I am using the self-emulation mode.

When I am sure its not a software problem, I will open up the small oval case, to see if there are loose connections/connectors. I have no other TomToms with this connector or other TMC-receivers laying around to swap and isolate the problem.
RJ45 offline

Postby gezt » Sat Sep 29, 2012 1:43 pm

1st check that it is a tomtom traffic, there should be 2 female sockets,1 for speakers etc and the 1 nearest the middle is for tmc.
when connected it should tell you its connecting to traffic,the a side bar should appear and will show any traffic problems,press on the bar and you should be able to choose what to do i,e read traffic reports aloud.(when you plug it in it should all be automatic in connection ,you don't need to do anything else)

this is what the screen should look like
Gez
Always said I'm slow on this computer stuff, but give me a 60s pinball machine and i will give you 1,000,000 points
gezt offline

User avatar V.I.P Member

Postby RJ45 » Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:26 pm

Yes, the device has the right socket, the receiverplug fits very nice :)
The TMC-receiver is original TomTom and was included in the package, I guess, although the 1st owner didnt have the original packaging.
There is also a label around the cable wich reads: 4V00.010.2 (& "tomtom" & "made in china")

Nothing happens at all when I plug it in. Not with nor without route planned. Also not when already plugged in before turning the device on.

Thanks to Downunder 's rescue bootloader, I was able to "downgrade" to the original bootloader (5.5120), so the bootloader can't be the reason why my TMC-receiver is not working.
I will put the original navcore back (8.398) and do some clearflashtool runs.
If it's still not working by that time, I am gonna check the hardware.

Thanks again for the assistance!
RJ45 offline

Postby tendriver » Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:12 am

RJ45 wrote:1. Nothing happens at all when I plug it in. Not with nor without route planned. Also not when already plugged in before turning the device on.
2. Thanks to Downunder 's rescue bootloader, I was able to "downgrade" to the original bootloader (5.5120), so the bootloader can't be the reason why my TMC-receiver is not working.
3. I will put the original navcore back (8.398) and do some clearflashtool runs.
If it's still not working by that time, I am gonna check the hardware.

1. This is a huge clue.
2. You gained nothing by "downgrading" the bootloader from 5.5250 down to 5.5120.
3. This won't help you either.
4. The problem is your 4v00.010.2 receiver. It is a version 2 & is not worth 2 pence!! See the attachment.

Also give this a read: [Please Register or Login to download file]
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby 4who » Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:01 am

One solution to the TMC problem is to buy a combined charger and tmc adapter 4UUC.001.01,
at least it functions in my case, it can be found on the bay. :-)
Search for "Tomtom TMC USB Traffic Receiver with Car Charger"
Pricing is around 20 - 25EUR +postage.
It functions perfectly with my TT 720T and TT 930T running Navcore.9.430.890926.1.

Regards
4who
4who offline

Postby tendriver » Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:04 am

4who wrote:One solution to the TMC problem is to buy a combined charger and tmc adapter 4UUC.001.01.

This received is covered in the post 9 attachment.
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby 4who » Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:27 pm

@tendriver
Sorry but i didn`t click your link.. ;-)

Regards
4who offline

Postby RJ45 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:31 pm

tendriver wrote:1. This is a huge clue.
2. You gained nothing by "downgrading" the bootloader from 5.5250 down to 5.5120.
3. This won't help you either.
4. The problem is your 4v00.010.2 receiver. It is a version 2 & is not worth 2 pence!! See the attachment.

Also give this a read: [Please Register or Login to download file]

Indeed, it the problem was the receiver hardware, but since the seller didn't mention it, I first wanted to rule everything else out.
Thanks for the nice pdf overview, Tendriver.

In downgrading back the bootloader to 5.5.120 the freezing problem also came back! Which I find quite strange, because this should be the "official" bootloader for this device. When bootloader 5.5250 was on the device, I did run the clearflashtool even 4 times. Anyway, minor issue, since this is easy solved with another bootloader.

I decided to pry open the "egg" from the receiver and, measured the voltage across VCC and GND wich was zero although the receiver was connected with the powered up TomTom. It turned out the VCC and the RxD were broken somewhere inside the 4-wire-cable.
After cutting open the mini-jack-style connector I was able to solder the 4 wires as close as possible to the receiver PCB.
Then the receiver worked again!

Although this version 2 is apperantly infamous for bad reception and/or fragile cable, it picked up the complete traffic information for the Netherlands within 2 minutes.
I 've sacraficed an old PS/2 mouse as 4-wire cable donor and used it to connect the connector to the "egg". Some shrink-tube made a nice 90 deg. connector, which stays in shape because the cold shrink-tube holds its form.
The receiver is working fine now and I will test it in the car. If the reception is not good enough, I can easy make the RF-wire longer or even connect it to the car 's radio antenna.

Thanks again for all the help and I will report back wich navcore I will use on this device, but I dont see any reason yet, not to stick with 8.398.
RJ45 offline

Postby tendriver » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:41 pm

RJ45 wrote:1. Thanks again for all the help.
2. I will report back wich navcore I will use on this device, but I dont see any reason yet, not to stick with 8.398

1. You are Welcome.

2. I can name 4 or 5 reasons, but the main reason is the full featured 890 & 895 maps require navcore 9.02X or higher. Exception: The Europe Truck maps.
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby RJ45 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:27 pm

Yes, I use the 895 EU truck map (also) on my NC8.412 TT ONE, so full features and most recent, except for HNR, which I never missed so far.

Disadvantages using a navcore 9 on this device -as I see it, correct me if wrong- :
- To use TMC the 9 navcores would have to run self-mode, wich looks older / more ugly then 8.398.
- The light sensor will not work anymore.
- I like the "signal-strength" indicator continue in view, wich would require NC9's to run in selfmode, again with ugly icons.
RJ45 offline

Next

Return to General Discussions about TomTom