Tomtom Go 710 Truck   

Tomtom Go 710 Truck

Postby archery » Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:12 pm

Dear forum,

I've had experience modifying a myguide running Win CE and was about to buy a second hand one to do the same for my parents; they want the truck route options for their campervan.

I've done a search and it appears the Go 710 and Tomtoms in general are equally customisable. I don't need spoon feeding and have identified that I'll need a patched Tomtom truck navcore and compatible maps. I also know that these will need to go on to a 2GB SD card (none SDHC given the device's age), as the Go 710 has no internal storage.

My question is again, given the devices age, does anyone have any recommendations/experience doing this i.e can they recommend a compatible truck navcore that they know works well?

Thanks for your input
archery offline

Postby Downunder35m » Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:36 pm

You'll need a 4GB for the Truck map and Navcore to fit.
The 710 is not a good choice, aim for a 520, 530, 720, 730 instead.
Forum rules

[Please Register or Login to download file]

If you find broken links or missing attachments in my postings, please send me PM
Password for all my files: downunder
Downunder35m offline

User avatar Elite Member

Postby tendriver » Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:44 pm

Downunder35m wrote:You'll need a 4GB for the Truck map and Navcore to fit.

I totally agree.

Current Truck navcore: 9.700
Current Truck map: Europe Truck 905.4798
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby archery » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:29 am

Downunder35m wrote:You'll need a 4GB for the Truck map and Navcore to fit.

I realised this not long after the post having looked at the maps. I assume you don't recommend the Go 710 as it only accepts SD cards and not SDHC cards? I've actually sourced a 4GB SD (not SDHC) card but these can be less than reliable. It looks like the bootloader will also need to be updated.
archery offline

Postby Downunder35m » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:11 pm

All TT's with a slot can use SDHC cards, the 710 is not a good choice because of the hardware - it is known to cause troubles with newer Navcores.
It can be done but the X10 series was never a good choice ;)
Forum rules

If you find broken links or missing attachments in my postings, please send me PM
Downunder35m offline

User avatar Elite Member

Postby archery » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:41 pm

Downunder35m wrote:All TT's with a slot can use SDHC cards, the 710 is not a good choice because of the hardware - it is known to cause troubles with newer Navcores.
It can be done but the X10 series was never a good choice ;)

Noted. I'll have a go with this one and have a look for a cheap x20/x30 series in the meantime. Thanks for the input.
archery offline

Postby Downunder35m » Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:16 pm

You're welcome!
Forum rules

Downunder35m offline

User avatar Elite Member

Postby archery » Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:21 pm

Just to clarify re SDHC cards as I've read conflicting posts. I'm assuming the compatibility is dependent on the Navcore (and bootloader) version rather than any hardware restriction? Can the compatibility chart on the Tomtom website be ignored as this is/was dependent on the latest officially supported Navcore version (v.7903)?. I'll likely be using one of your patched versions.

I'd normally just get on and test it but I don't have access to a SDHC card so will be purchasing one. Thanks.
archery offline

Postby archery » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:46 pm

Test run, using the 1GB card that was in it, worked a treat using with your patched Navcore v9.485 for X10 models and the latest UK maps, thanks. No broken links either. All completed without Windows up until the Fastactivate stage! I'll give the truck NC a go with the complete Europe maps when the SD card turns up.

Is there much editing/code writing required for these patches to work? Just wondering what level of programming is required, I'm guessing less than some other platforms given Tomtom use a gpl and the linux kernel.

You mentioned the hardware issues with newer truck NCs and x10 models. The CPU,RAM,GPS chipset match up quite well/exactly the same to the x20/x30 models, wondered if you could shed any more light on the particular hardware issues?
archery offline

Postby Downunder35m » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:35 pm

From bootloader 5.5012 on SDHC is supported.
Even if TT tries to comply to the GLP rules it is still not possible to tweak like with IGO for example.
To the known hardware problems: car dock, harddrive (x10 uses no internal memory but a hdd instead) and due to this more "modifications" to the otherwise good hardware.
TT realised the problem and discontinued the X10 series pretty fast.
Forum rules

Downunder35m offline

User avatar Elite Member

Postby tendriver » Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:35 am

archery wrote:Just to clarify re SDHC cards as I've read conflicting posts. I'm assuming the compatibility is dependent on the Navcore (and bootloader) version rather than any hardware restriction? Can the compatibility chart on the Tomtom website be ignored as this is/was dependent on the latest officially supported Navcore version (v.7903)?. I'll likely be using one of your patched versions.

Forget what you have read. Using a SDHC card is dependent on the installed version of the bootloader. As Downunder said, a SDHC card can be used on ANY unit with a card slot & bootloader 5.5012 or higher.

archery wrote:Is there much editing/code writing required for these patches to work? Just wondering what level of programming is required, I'm guessing less than some other platforms given Tomtom use a gpl and the linux kernel.

There is no editing/code writing required for these patches to work? With FastActivate 17.02.2013 you just click the desired procedure.
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby archery » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:04 am

The Navcores are modified for different devices and with different features looking at the Navcore page. I used v 9.485 specifically for X10 series, that was what I was referring to. Just wondered as to the process of getting them from Tomtom and applying the changes. Whilst I appreciate the click and it will work approach (and it has!), it's nice to have an idea as to how things are done.
archery offline

Postby tendriver » Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:47 pm

archery wrote:Just wondered as to the process of getting them from Tomtom and applying the changes. Whilst I appreciate the click and it will work approach (and it has!), it's nice to have an idea as to how things are done.

In most cases, just download the .CAB, of any navcore that you wish to use, from TomTom. Run the patcher of your choice to patch the downloaded navcore's ttsystem file. There are a few exceptions, the X10 being one of them.
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby Downunder35m » Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:49 pm

In most cases that will only work if the selected Navcore is suited for that device series.
For example a Rider Navcore won't work properly on a GO if only the NC is patched.
Forum rules

Downunder35m offline

User avatar Elite Member

Postby sapper » Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:57 am

Hi, I have a TOM TOM 510, and a 4gig SD card, can I put Truck maps on it and how do I do it.

thanks
Sapper
sapper offline

Next

Return to General Discussions about TomTom