TomTom GO 710 (4V00.710) firmware update ?   

TomTom GO 710 (4V00.710) firmware update ?

Postby CityZen » Sun Jul 12, 2020 4:55 pm

Hi,

I've dug up a TomTom GO 710 (4V00.710) that my father was using before he passed away a few years ago.

I would like to make use of this GPS occasionally and need to make an update of what is the latest firmware and Central Europe maps etc. The problem is that I cannot find the base station for this GPS and I can assume it’s been lost. Is there another way to make the firmware update ?

I was thinking of updating via the SD card directly, but contacting TomTom directly did not provide me with a solution to this problem, and they don’t sell spare parts for this obsolete item.

So, does anybody know of doing the update of the firmware and maps via the SD card ?

Otherwise would anybody be willing to provide an image of their SD card with latest firmware and maps for me to then make a copy on my SD card to use with this GPS ? Would this be even possible or is the firmware bound to a specific hardware serial number (as is often the case for copy protection etc.).

Any advice would be appreciated…

Regards,

Mike
CityZen offline

Re: TomTom GO 710 (4V00.710) firmware update ?

Postby fredderf » Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:34 pm

Yes, you can update it via the SD card if you have a card reader on your PC...however it will take some work as there will be a few things that need to be done.

You'll be able to source another docking station on eBay, there's a few available and they don't cost very much.

Before you do anything, you need to do a full backup of the SD card as it is now by enabling 'Show all hidden files & folders' in Windows Explorer and copying ALL of the contents to a safe place on your PC. When you're confident that you've backed it up successfully, you need to read the following thread and follow the instructions provided: topic21440.html

Once all of the above is complete we can look at updating the navcore and the map.
fredderf offline

Administrator

Postby CityZen » Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:47 am

Hi,
Thanks for your reply. It does sound more complicated than it's worth the trouble ...
And you're right, there are complete kits of second-hand Go 710 and 910 on eBaY for less than 50€. I'll look into it...
Cheers, Mike
CityZen offline

Postby fredderf » Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:01 pm

The update procedure will be very much the same for any device but the Go x10's need a chip flash to resolve WNRO issues however if you're going to buy another one, buy any Go x40 or x50 and a micro SD card

*OP not replied so....:thread_solved:
fredderf offline

Administrator

Return to General Discussions about TomTom