Tomtom Go 540 Live - Sim card fault   

Tomtom Go 540 Live - Sim card fault

Postby waynedl » Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:35 am

Hi, I've done a search and can't see the answer, so thought I'd post a new thread, hope this is ok? - Member many years, rare poster..

I've got a 540 Live that I use with the 8.398 Truck Navcore and the 900 Truck map.

Now, this has been running well, and through a few upgrades over a few years, but about 6mths ago it started running REALLY slowly, checked in version / network and saw 'Not Connected'. There was a sim card fault. Advise on here was to clean the sim card and take the battery off and then back on.

This worked, and for the next 6mths it was fine, but this week it started going REALLY slow again, checked same place and found same fault.

What I want to know, is it possible to edit a file somewhere to discard any use of the sim card? I've tried changing the emulation but that didn't work.

I don't use the live services or anything like that, so if I could just lose the sim part of it completely, that'd be great.

Any help at all would be most appreciated. I have a 520 as a back up that has no problems, but the mount is crap and the charging point is getting a bit weak now, so would rather turn my 540 into a 520 but with the 540's mount etc if you know what I mean lol
waynedl offline

Postby Downunder35m » Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:30 am

Check the Navcore in X30 or X20 mode by using one of mine or by using a SE version with the correct settings.
Only in X40 or if a patched CAB is used the live services are supported over the inbuilt sim AFAIK.
Have you checked what happens f you remove the SIM?
Forum rules

[Please Register or Login to download file]

If you find broken links or missing attachments in my postings, please send me PM
Password for all my files: downunder
Downunder35m offline

User avatar Elite Member

Postby waynedl » Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:14 am

Downunder35m wrote:Check the Navcore in X30 or X20 mode by using one of mine or by using a SE version with the correct settings.
Only in X40 or if a patched CAB is used the live services are supported over the inbuilt sim AFAIK.
Have you checked what happens f you remove the SIM?

Yes mate, it goes slow as crap whilst trying to connect to the network, same with other sim cards too - tried my data only sim and a vodaphone sim etc.
waynedl offline

Postby Downunder35m » Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:57 am

Found on the web [quote]My live 1000 had that SIM error, turned out it was due to being not connected to a PC for a while, as soon as i connected it to a pc it sorted itself out!
before that I used the phone feature on the live 1000 to connect to my mobile phones connection via bluetooth to get HD Traffic and that worked

I was told by tomtom to return it when I had the SIM error, I didnt need to in the end as the connection to the pc sorted it[/qoute]
So maybe try a hard {url=[Please Register or Login to download file] ]reset[/url] (hold reset for 30+ sec) followed by the TT clear flash tool.
After that delete all from the device and let Home update it until no further updates are offered.
Seems some devices might need updates for the Live services.
If that does not work try to contact the support so they can check if the Sim has been deactivated.
Forum rules

If you find broken links or missing attachments in my postings, please send me PM
Downunder35m offline

User avatar Elite Member

Postby waynedl » Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:31 pm

Thanks for that Downunder, but that's what I tried the 1st time before researching and finding that I had to remove the battery physically to get it to reset.
I removed my card that had the truck map and navcore on so it went back to the default map and navcore, did all updates, tried reset (hold power in), tt clear, spare micro-sd card etc..
None worked, but as soon as I took battery off and sim out, cleaned sim, put back in and re-connected battery, it was fine.

I don't use the Live services, so would be happy to just turn the GSM part of the sat nav off, only bought a 540 after the battery on my 520 died.
waynedl offline

Postby Downunder35m » Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:07 pm

Turning off is not really an available option I'm afraid.
But as you said cleaning worked the first time:
There are these blue erasers for ink, they feel a bit like sand in rubber.
They are really good for all flat things like a sim.
But to go a step further, you could try to clean the actual contacts for the SIM holder with very fine sandpaper glued on one or two layers of thin cardboard - like a cerial box.
Cut it to a width of a SIM and slide it in and out a few times with the sandpaper facing same way as the SIM contacts.

Only other option I could think of is to try a Navcore that is not for the GO series, but that won't help for the Truck features.
By the way: replacing the dead battery of the 520 would have been 15 minutes and about 10 bucks for the battery ;)
Forum rules

Downunder35m offline

User avatar Elite Member

Postby waynedl » Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:42 pm

Downunder35m wrote:By the way: replacing the dead battery of the 520 would have been 15 minutes and about 10 bucks for the battery ;)

I've done that now, was weary about doing it because it's glued to the circuit board.

Knocked the reset button off doing it, so was right to be weary, but it works fine now.

Thanks again for your ideas and pointers. Was thinking of trying to remove the mobile phone part, it's like a miniature board, off the actual tomtom and see what that does if it can't be done by software options alone.
waynedl offline

Postby tendriver » Sat Jul 20, 2013 3:00 pm

Current Truck navcore is 9.701. Current Truck map is Europe_TRUCK v910.4958. You are underutilizing both devices running an old navcore & map.
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby waynedl » Sat Jul 20, 2013 3:39 pm

tendriver wrote:Current Truck navcore is 9.701. Current Truck map is Europe_TRUCK v910.4958. You are underutilizing both devices running an old navcore & map.

I tried that navcore and it didn't have the ' or " for feet and inches, I know there's a way around it but I change trailers several times per day, so stuck with the 900 map and 8.398 navcore since they work :)
waynedl offline

Postby tendriver » Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:49 pm

waynedl wrote:I tried that navcore and it didn't have the ' or " for feet and inches, I know there's a way around it but I change trailers several times per day, so stuck with the 900 map and 8.398 navcore since they work :)

[Discussion] Truck Navcore 9.700/9.701 and current map post 2.
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby waynedl » Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:11 pm

Thanks again, yes, I knew about that, I did say I know the way around it, it's just a bit of a pain in the harris when you change trailers all with different sizes so often in a day.

When it's sorted properly or my map is so far out of date as to be useless, I'll change up, but for now, I'll stick with 8.398 and 900 :)
waynedl offline

Postby tendriver » Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:40 pm

waynedl wrote:I did say I know the way around it

OK, I read your post to mean that you know there is a way, but don't know how to apply it.
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Return to General Discussions about TomTom