Tom Tom Blank   

Tom Tom Blank

Postby roy3636 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:33 pm

Sorry, new to this and came upon this site trying to find how to fix my Tom Tom Xl IQ. It was working fine and three days ago, wouldn't load. I read on another site that it said to back-up and format the hard drive and reapply. Now I know that was the wrong thing to do looking on here. Something happened with the back-up and now I can't get anything on it other than the start-up screen. When I go to my home, it won't update, gets about half way and than and error appears. Is there a way to start fresh and reapply everything on it, from a file on here. Thanks.
roy3636 offline

Postby Downunder35m » Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:25 pm

Delete all files and folder from it and update through Home.
As long as the right files of an older installation are present Home can assume a working system and won't offer an update.
Forum rules

[Please Register or Login to download file]

If you find broken links or missing attachments in my postings, please send me PM
Password for all my files: downunder
Downunder35m offline

User avatar Elite Member

Postby roy3636 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:06 am

I did that, and did it again and as it updates and gets to "Install on Hard Drive" it goes about half-way and stops with an error that says "Could not Delete 'E:\data.chk'" I've gone under E drive and manually deleted it but it just does it again when I try to update again. Any Suggestions. Thanks for your help.
roy3636 offline

Postby Downunder35m » Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:27 am

It seems you are one of the very rare cases with a problem on the filesystem.
If a manual delete won't help I first suggest to test the same on a different PC/Laptop.
Also, before proceeding please post your device details using Get my Config -check my signature ;)
If your bootloader is a very bad choice it can cause transfer problems over the USB, so do this check:
Grab any big file (like a movie) and copy it to the TT,
check the details in the copy window and keep an eye on interruptions.
If the BL is to blame you will see the transfer stopping for a long time, continues and stopps again.

Report your finding here.
Forum rules

If you find broken links or missing attachments in my postings, please send me PM
Downunder35m offline

User avatar Elite Member

Postby roy3636 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:46 am

Thanks, worked on another computer and installing newest map now. Thanks for all your help. My GPS went down a few days ago and we are leaving in the morning to take my brother who has terminal cancer on a 8 day trip with really no destination in mind other than the east coast and really needed the GPS to work. I'm so glad I found this site. Thanks for the quick response.
roy3636 offline

Postby Downunder35m » Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:41 am

Good that you got it sorted, for the next update make sure to locate the problem on your PC first ;)
Forum rules

Downunder35m offline

User avatar Elite Member

Return to General Discussions about TomTom