tom tom 520 screen   

tom tom 520 screen

Postby bobtay » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:23 pm

can anyone shred any light on when replacing the speeker on tomtom the brown
clip holding the ribbon came loose it will hold the ribbon but now when the screen comes on when you touch it
It will not react as it should for instance if you touch chang settings it will go to done
thanks for any help you can give
bobtay offline

Postby Downunder35m » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:03 am

Check here for instructions on how to dismantle your device if still necessary :link:
The ribbon cable sits in a special holder which needs to closed properly after you inserted the cable.
there are two types:
1. with a little plastic bar that folds up to release the cable and folds down to lock it into place.
2. just a connector where the cable is pushed in, but you need to get the cable right to the end so that it locks.

The first is more common and if broken you will need a very fine soldering station, copper mesh to remove the old solder and a new connector.
Sometimes you can be lucky and find a similar connector in old DVD players and other electronics but it is possible to order them new from a good electronics store.
Forum rules

[Please Register or Login to download file]

If you find broken links or missing attachments in my postings, please send me PM
Password for all my files: downunder
Downunder35m offline

User avatar Elite Member

Postby bobtay » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:08 pm

i was following the instructions which are brilliant but the brown clip came away from the white holder that holds the strip in place
will keep trying thanks for your help
bobtay offline

Postby Downunder35m » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:18 am

As a last resort you could try to cut a little plastic strip (from a blister pack or meat tray) to exact the same width as the cable.
Push the cable in and hold it in place with a bit of sticky tape.
Now try to push the plastic strip over the cable and into the holder until you feel it "locking in".
It is less than a mm and you might have to try different plastik stips to find the right thickness but once you have one that can be pushed in firm put sticky tape over the plastik strip to keep it in place and see if the display is working again.
It won't last forever but might give you the time to find a replacement for the original holder.
Forum rules

[Please Register or Login to download file]

If you find broken links or missing attachments in my postings, please send me PM
Password for all my files: downunder
Downunder35m offline

User avatar Elite Member

Postby goofy gorilla » Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:50 pm

yes i done exactly what is said in above post...i used some plastic laminate..very thin..then wedged it in the white plastic holder...holds it firmily in place......try getting a corner of the plastic in first then adjust it so all of it goes in..mine is fine..
goofy gorilla offline

Return to General Discussions about TomTom