I think I lost my default POIs Go720   

I think I lost my default POIs Go720

Postby Gweedz » Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:15 pm

Whenever I click "search POIs" and type the name of the store, park, restaurant. etc. it always comes back Not Found UNLESS I search for one of the custom POIs I installed.

In the past I would type the first 3 letters and it would show a list of places with similar spelling that I would scroll through.

This has happened since my latest map update to 990.8305. Previously all maps would be installed on internal memory, but this map was installed on my SD card and my internal memory contains exactly 1 file called internal.dat.

I'm hoping it's a simple as a default POI file missing or misplaced.

Thanks.
Gweedz offline

Re: I think I lost my default POIs Go720

Postby fredderf » Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:08 pm

Search inside the map folder for a file called 'POI.dat'...if it's missing, then there's your problem although you might have removed it for space reasons.

Anyway, the latest 995 series maps are out now, so you might want to update your map?
fredderf offline

Administrator

Postby Gweedz » Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:07 pm

POI.dat is in the map folder - almost 350mb.

Here's the strange thing I just realized - if I browse the POIs by category they seem to all be there. But if I search all POIs by typing the name it doesn't find anything.

For example, I search for ESSO (very popular gas station) in Toronto, and it finds nothing. I browse Gas Stations category and it finds lots of ESSOs.

I strongly prefer to search for an item, than browse through a huge category list.

Installing the latest map is an alternative, but I'm hoping I don't have to do that as it's always an ordeal. I download the files from the free website and it takes me 3-4 days by the time I can download all the pieces because of the limits imposed. I'm hoping this is a simpler fix.
Gweedz offline

Postby Gweedz » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:33 pm

Problem solved:

I deleted all my customer POIs and the search function is now working as it should. Maybe 1 or more of the custom POIs were corrupt. I didn't bother figuring out which one as I don't care that much.

Thanks fredderf for your suggestion - it did lead me on the right track!
Gweedz offline

Postby fredderf » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:07 pm

Ok, glad you got it sorted out
fredderf offline

Administrator

Return to General Discussions about TomTom