Stuck on time set then reboot   

Stuck on time set then reboot

Postby ercbul » Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:32 am

Hi All
I have recently acquired 2 tomtoms, an XL IQ routes edition and a Smart. Both units were sticking on the boot logo and not booting properly at all.
I backed up both units - did a low level format on each - let TTH install all available updates then ran clearflash 3 times on each.
Both units boot into the initial configuration screen after this - go through set language, right or left handed and time format OK but here's the weird bit
When you enter the time - as soon as you hit "Done", the button highlights but the unit just freezes then reboots after approx 20 secs
Any subsequent attempts to boot after this just result in the unit looping through the above process

Now if I connect the unit to TTH and use operate my tomtom - it lets me proceed through the time setting and everything works fine.
However after doing this when I let the unit boot it sticks on the red tomtom icon this time and will not progress further - a hard reset is required
I have tried the "add favourite, navigate a demo route, delete favourite" trick with no sucess.

This is driving me a bit nuts - especially because the behaviour is identical on both units. I can find quite a few instances of other people complaining of this bug but none where anyone has actually managed to solve it.

Any advice anyone?

Thanks

ercbul
ercbul offline

Postby tendriver » Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:52 pm

ercbul wrote:Any advice anyone?

Yep. You have given us detailed info, except what is most important. The TT Team is good, but we are not mind readers. We need the navcore & map for both devices, confirmation that you patched navcore & map in each device. Also what tool you used to generate the patches.
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby ercbul » Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:05 pm

Hi
The navcores for the start is the official 9.053 - sorry I presumed that because I explained I had updated both units fully via TTH you would guess it was the latest.
The navcore for the XL IQ is again the official 9.430. the described behaviour occurs whether or not a map is present hence I didn't think that info was particularly useful, but should have realised that you didn't necessarily know that.
The map I had installed was the United_Kingdom_and_Ireland_890_4222
On all occasions I use FastActivator to patch but like I said - this behaviour occurs whether the navcore is patched or not and whether or not I have a map on the device
I also tried a copy of BMWdriver's modded 9051c which I had hanging around with exactly the same results
ercbul offline

Postby tendriver » Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:59 pm

ercbul wrote:Hi
1. The navcores for the start is the official 9.053 - sorry I presumed that because I explained I had updated both units fully via TTH you would guess it was the latest.
2. The navcore for the XL IQ is again the official 9.430. the described behaviour occurs whether or not a map is present hence I didn't think that info was particularly useful, but should have realised that you didn't necessarily know that.
3. The map I had installed was the United_Kingdom_and_Ireland_890_4222
4. On all occasions I use FastActivator to patch but like I said - this behaviour occurs whether the navcore is patched or not and whether or not I have a map on the device
5. I also tried a copy of BMWdriver's modded 9051c which I had hanging around with exactly the same results

1. We had 2 options: Guess or look it up. We don't GUESS & we don't have time to look it up. Current NC for a Start is 9.057.
2. A unit will never boot without a map installed.
3. OK. No compat issues.
4. I asked you to confirm that navcore & map were patched on both units. Yes it does matter. What version of FA are you using?
5. Why would you try a navcore older then the current one?
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby ercbul » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:37 pm

1 OK sorry - like I said I shouldn't have presumed. Start navcore was a typo

2 My bad - I thought it would boot then complain that no map was available

4 Patched with 1.8.8.9 - integrated meta 04.07.12

5 Was running out of ideas - would have considered emailing Jimmy Saville if it wasn't for his unfortunate recent demise
ercbul offline

Postby tendriver » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:14 pm

ercbul wrote:1 OK sorry - like I said I shouldn't have presumed. Start navcore was a typo

2 My bad - I thought it would boot then complain that no map was available

4 Patched with 1.8.8.9 - integrated meta 04.07.12

5 Was running out of ideas - would have considered emailing Jimmy Saville if it wasn't for his unfortunate recent demise

1. OK. FFR details, details, details.

2. OK Now you know.

4. We need confirmation that you patched navcore & map in each device. You still haven't answered this questiion? Reworded: Have you confirmed that the navcore & map in both units are patched?

5. LOL.

6. New question. What is the link, you used to download the map?
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby Downunder35m » Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:14 am

Might not important but you said you aquired the TT'S - is it possible you got them off Ebay listed as faulty?
If the devices are not faulty it is possible that a missing/corrupted sat fix causes problems.
May I suggest to delete all from the device,
install with Home untill no more updates are offered,
make sure that with one of the "application updates" (Navcore) you also get the quick fix data installed.
If in doubt : QuickFix without Home ::link:
You can check what GPS chip is used: press reset, turn on the device, as soon as it lights up press and hold the power button - a status screen will appear with all infos you need.
Forum rules

[Please Register or Login to download file]

If you find broken links or missing attachments in my postings, please send me PM
Password for all my files: downunder
Downunder35m offline

User avatar Elite Member

Postby ercbul » Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:07 am

tendriver wrote:1. OK. FFR details, details, details.

2. OK Now you know.

4. We need confirmation that you patched navcore & map in each device. You still haven't answered this questiion? Reworded: Have you confirmed that the navcore & map in both units are patched?

5. LOL.

6. New question. What is the link, you used to download the map?

4. In both unit's FA reported success patching map, navcore and TTH - I was able to operate the unit via TTH too which I presume means it was successful

6. The map was downloaded from Navitotal - http://www.navitotal.com/showthread.php?9758-890-891-Map-Collections-ONLY - It works great on my 710

Downunder35m wrote:Might not important but you said you aquired the TT'S - is it possible you got them off Ebay listed as faulty?
If the devices are not faulty it is possible that a missing/corrupted sat fix causes problems.
May I suggest to delete all from the device,
install with Home untill no more updates are offered,
make sure that with one of the "application updates" (Navcore) you also get the quick fix data installed.
If in doubt : QuickFix without Home :
You can check what GPS chip is used: press reset, turn on the device, as soon as it lights up press and hold the power button - a status screen will appear with all infos you need.

The Start was purchased off Ebay as faulty for £15. The XL IQ is from a colleague. I had previously fixed a friend's START using the method in my OP so I (rather prematurely it now seems) presumed it might be a quick fix and a cheap way to upgrade my ageing 710.

Both units were updated with the Quick Fix Data

GPS Chips are both GL2 BCM4750 FFFF

ercbul offline

Postby tendriver » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:36 am

ercbul wrote:4a. In both unit's FA reported success patching map, navcore and TTH -
4b. I was able to operate the unit via TTH too which I presume means it was successful

6. The map was downloaded from Navitotal - http://www.navitotal.com/showthread....llections-ONLY - It works great on my 710

4a. This does not confirm a successful patch. Look in the map folders for a .meta.dct file for a positive confirmation.
4b. TT Home "Operate my Device" is an emulation/simulation & is not an indicator of success. BTW PRESUME IS NOT YOUR FRIEND.

6. This is the THREAD link. I asked for the MAP link.

You do not have a sat nav fix issue.
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby Downunder35m » Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:43 pm

From experience the best to way to start with such problematic cases is that (only my way anyway):
1.Do a hard reset (hold reset for 30+sec., on devices without a reset button hold the power button until the device restarts with the drums)
2.Run the TT clear flash tool 3 times
3.Delete all files and folders from the device (after making a backup using Windows Explorer)
4.Use Home to update the device to the latest official Navcore - migt take several runs, so keep checking for updates until Home does no longer offer any
5.If possible add an original map, if you don't have any add a current map (with a meta code posted!!!), patch the NC and activate the map using FastActivate

The device should complain that no voices are usable, so add one!! using Home, set up and check.
If this way does not work than your are either not doing it right or the device has a hardware fault.
In case all works you are free to try different NC's of your choice.
Forum rules

[Please Register or Login to download file]

If you find broken links or missing attachments in my postings, please send me PM
Password for all my files: downunder
Downunder35m offline

User avatar Elite Member

Postby tendriver » Thu Jul 26, 2012 3:09 pm

Downunder35m wrote:3.Delete all files and folders from the device (after making a backup using Windows Explorer)
4.Use Home to update the device to the latest official Navcore - migt take several runs, so keep checking for updates until Home does no longer offer any
5.If possible add an original map, if you don't have any add a current map (with a meta code posted!!!), patch the NC and activate the map using FastActivate

I'm 90% sure he only has a navcore patch problem. The questions I'm asking are to confirm same.

3. NOT YET.
4. He has already done this.
5. His UK&ROI 4222 as he states, "It works great on my 710". The downloaded map is not an issue. Patching it for his 2 "new" unit might be.
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby ercbul » Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:36 pm

@ tendriver
The map link is the the first on that page - http://www.navitotal.com/noref.php?url=http://linksave.in/924711224fbce3ff620ae
Map was properly activated - meta.dct file present

@ Downunder35m
That's exactly what I have done - I suspect a hardware problem too
ercbul offline

Postby tendriver » Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:55 pm

ercbul wrote:@ Downunder35m
That's exactly what I have done - I suspect a hardware problem too

What is exactly what you have done?
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby ercbul » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:59 pm

I was referring to the fact to what downunder35m is recommending is basically what I stated I'd tried in my first post
ercbul offline

Postby tendriver » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:57 pm

ercbul wrote:I was referring to the fact to what downunder35m is recommending is basically what I stated I'd tried in my first post

Please tell me that you haven't deleted the setups discribed in post 3. If you haven't, then download this pre-patched SE 9.430 ttsystem file & model.txt. [Please Register or Login to download file] Unzip & copy the 2 files into your unit, overwriting the existing ttsystem file. Disconnect & reboot.
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Next

Return to General Discussions about TomTom