strange connection problem   

strange connection problem

Postby combat goofwing » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:13 am

have a very strange connection problem on a XL, im almost certain it is faulty hardware but wanted to sound you out.

When i connect to the pc to transfer files to device i get the usual connection picture, and as i start to transfer things across i get the red cross telling me not to unplug the device.But during transfer its as though the device stops and restarts the connection with the picture switching from a red cross transfering to normal conected picture back and forth all the time until the transfer is finished, meaning files are taking ages to get across, the strange thing is when i backed up the device it didn't drop connection once, also the device seems to be charging no problem

for example with numerous connects/ disconnects from the device a map can take an hour to get on there, tired this on 2 lap tops and 1 pc and the same on all,i know its not the lead as it works fine on my XL

the device info before back up was xl 30 seris 330 1 gig

ApplicationVersionVersionNumber=8083
ApplicationVersion=9669
BootLoaderVersion=55136
CurrentMap=United_Kingdom_and_Republic_of_Ireland
CurrentMapVersion=850.2820

it now has

ApplicationVersionVersionNumber=9051
ApplicationVersion=503855.2
BootLoaderVersion=55136
CurrentMap=UK_&_RoI_850.2781
CurrentMapVersion=850.2781

the device in normal operation work fines its only on file transfer this happens

hope this is clear enough
combat goofwing offline

Premium Member

Postby Downunder35m » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:55 am

Sounds to me like a bootloader problem.
The official Navcore version for your device is the 8.014 and I don't think BL 5.5136 is included there.
Best option would be to revert the BL back to original version number for your devcie or if higher the 5.5128 at max.
Forum rules

[Please Register or Login to download file]

If you find broken links or missing attachments in my postings, please send me PM
Password for all my files: downunder
Downunder35m offline

User avatar Elite Member

Postby combat goofwing » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:59 am

the bootloader was the same before and after the navcore update and that was the original bootloader on it bought new a week ago , so an older one might work

not done a bootloader on its own before so any instructions would be great
combat goofwing offline

Premium Member

Postby combat goofwing » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:11 am

just had a look at my device which is same model same navcore and same maps , mine had a BL 55011 running smooth
combat goofwing offline

Premium Member

Postby Downunder35m » Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:07 pm

That is what I thought.
Try [Please Register or Login to download file] bootloader.
It is the 5.5112 which offers support for SDHC is is safe for all devices.
Since it is not possible to install a bootloader with a lower version number we will trick the safety a bit.
The above bootloader should be copied into the root of your device (unpack the file "system").
At the next boot the bootloader will be installed.
Internally it is the 5.5112 but it will show up as 0 - allowing you to install any bootloader you might need if the 5.5112 does not solve your USB problem.
If you install a higher bootloader and need to go back again just repeat the steps.
Forum rules

If you find broken links or missing attachments in my postings, please send me PM
Downunder35m offline

User avatar Elite Member

Postby combat goofwing » Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:20 pm

still have the same problem with that bootloader but its no where near as bad only re-established connection twice while trying to transfer a map over as a test

i know 55011 works fine with this set up is there any where to download that bootloader

thanks again for the help
combat goofwing offline

Premium Member

Postby Downunder35m » Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:09 pm

If you have it on the other device you can simply copy the file "system" from that device over.
Otherwise use the one attached 787
Forum rules

Downunder35m offline

User avatar Elite Member

Postby combat goofwing » Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:29 pm

tried that bootloader which should mean it is the same as my own XL, device boots no problem and works in general use, when i plug the lead it and select yes to connect to computer it connects ok but i get no on screen pictures (the screen is just blank) data is transfering over but cause there are no images cant really tell if its dropping connection or not??watched the status bar and it didnt appear to drop connection at all but i could do with the getting the images back if possible
combat goofwing offline

Premium Member

Postby Downunder35m » Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:58 am

For the images I have no idea, maybe reinstalling the Navcore could help.
But if all is working you would not need the picture as you get a progress bar in Windows when you copy thing - the displayed time can be used to see if the connection still stops.
Forum rules

Downunder35m offline

User avatar Elite Member

Return to General Discussions about TomTom