Stopping Home forcing a Navcore Update   

Stopping Home forcing a Navcore Update

Postby Macca-009 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:56 pm

Hi guys - A long time ago, Tendriver told me how to stop Home forcing a Navcore update and I'm in need of doing so again.
One of my 930's is very happily running on 9205 but Home is insisting I update it to 9541 (?) - or whatever, which I do not want to do.
I've tried searching for the postings but had no luck finding them.
I recall it needs an edit of the ttgo files - can you assist please.

Thanks in advance.
GO930's with Voice Control
Maps: UK, EU & NA + Cameras (with ogg files)
Macca-009 offline

User avatar V.I.P Member

Re: Stopping Home forcing a Navcore Update

Postby biggerdave » Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:02 am

1) Uninstall TTHome
2) Download last "good" version from [Please Register or Login to download file] 3) Install it without running ie, uncheck the 'Run Home' tick box when installation completes
4) Using Windows Explorer, navigate to
C:\Program Files\TomTom HOME 2\xul (32 bit Windows)
or
C:\Program Files (x86)\TomTom HOME 2\xul (64 bit Windows)
and find application.ini file
5) Edit application.ini file (you might need admin privileges) and modify "Version=2.9.91.411" to "Version=2.9.99.999"
6) Run TTHome. It will believe it is running latest version 2.9.99.999 so will not try to update TTHome again but still allow you to Operate my GO/Manage my device etc
biggerdave offline

User avatar V.I.P Member

Postby gm8nsz » Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:06 am

It may be that TT want to overcome the date roll-over issue? My TT One IQ Routes was offered an update a few weeks ago which I accepted. The first time since I patched the original navcore:-) After downloading, I needed to patch the updated navcore and all was well. TomTom now directs me to Home on their GPS Rollover page telling me that there is a fix to download but now doesn't offer the navcore so I believe that was what I downloaded? I am on Patched App 9.541.3145439.2 dated 11/12/18 so I guess I'm OK.

My older TTs are probably a lost cause(Start and earlier ONE) unless there is a navcore expert who can provide something:-)
gm8nsz offline

Postby holyhead » Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:13 am

gm8nsz wrote:Start and earlier ONE

After 6 April you know if you can still use your Start and earlier ONE. It is not certain that a lot of devices not working properly anymore. And you can also use 9.541 on a one.
holyhead offline

V.I.P Member

Postby Macca-009 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:51 pm

biggerdave wrote:1) Uninstall TTHome
2) Download last "good" version from [Please Register or Login to download file] 3) Install it without running ie, uncheck the 'Run Home' tick box when installation completes
or
5) Edit application.ini file (you might need admin privileges) and modify "Version=2.9.91.411" to "Version=2.9.99.999"
6) Run TTHome. It will believe it is running latest version 2.9.99.999 so will not try to update TTHome again but still allow you to Operate my GO/Manage my device etc

There was an alternative method, which after a good night's sleep, has finally returned to me!

By editing the TTGO.bif file and inputting the latest Application version details and then overwriting the TTGO.bak with the amended details, delete the (pre-edited) .bif and re-boot to create a new .bif The result is that Home reads the device as having already been updated.

I made the required edits a few minutes ago, connected to the latest 'Home' and it gave me map updates and gpsfix, but no offer of 9541 - Result!

Just to clarify why I'm going this route: the 930 in question has a heavily customised unique version of 9205 which I really do not want to lose. IF, after the April "GPS 19 year date reset" I have to accept that it must be replaced, then so be it, but until then I'm sticking with it. The GPS reset 'effect' seems to be about as certain as the Y2K 'bug' was... So I will wait to see what (if anything) happens. Thanks for your input anyway guys :023: :023: :023:
Macca-009 offline

User avatar V.I.P Member

Postby biggerdave » Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:57 pm

Not heard of that before. What happens once you restart you device because normally that is when the ttgo.bif is rewritten every time???
biggerdave offline

User avatar V.I.P Member

Postby Macca-009 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:24 am

biggerdave wrote:Not heard of that before. What happens once you restart you device because normally that is when the ttgo.bif is rewritten every time???

Correct and the new .bif is copied from the .bak which contains the 'false' navcore 9541 info, but if I look at the Status & Info screen on the 930, it correctly shows App 9205. Each time I connect it to Home, I will only be offered map updates & gpsfix - until and unless, another newer navcore is released. Quite where the .ori fits in to the regime - I have no idea but that gives the correct navcore 9205 info and presumably feeds it to the Status & Info screen.

Copied from the new .bif (the edited .bak is the same):

[TomTomGo]
DeviceName=TomTom GO 930
DeviceVersionHW=GO 930
DeviceSerialNumber=XXXXXXXXXXXX
DeviceUniqueID=XXXXX XXXXX
RamDiskVersion=20100702
BootLoaderVersion=55120
LinuxVersion=547200
ApplicationVersionVersionNumber=9541
ApplicationVersion=3145439.1
UserLanguage=English UK
UserName=

Copied from the .ori :

[TomTomGo]
DeviceName=TomTom GO 930
DeviceVersionHW=GO 930
DeviceSerialNumber=XXXXXXXXXXXX
DeviceUniqueID=XXXXX XXXXX
RamDiskVersion=20100702
BootLoaderVersion=55120
LinuxVersion=547200
ApplicationVersionVersionNumber=9205
ApplicationVersion=547817.1
UserLanguage=English UK
UserName=

So, it appears that if a ttgo.bif is not present, a new one is created from the ttgo.bak file, rather than being "re-generated". It also appears that 'Home' takes the contents of the ttgo.bif as being 'correct' without verifying them against the actual contents of the device.

Macca :pirate:
Macca-009 offline

User avatar V.I.P Member

Postby Micdu70 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:02 pm

biggerdave wrote:1) Uninstall TTHome
or

Hello,
Set "Version=2.9.99.999" isn't good enough because latest TTHome version is 2.11.x.x so it tries to force-install this version.
Better to set "Version=2.99.99.999".
:)
Micdu70 offline

User avatar V.I.P Member

Postby mrlongest » Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:29 pm

Back in 2012 using the foregoing method, I modified my TTHome to "Version=10.000" and it's been performing perfectly ever since - no forced TTHome or navcore updates at all.

Another benefit? In November 2017 I subscribed to TT Speed Cameras. I'm still getting updates to them via my TTHome. And I definitely didn't renew my subscription, which I beleive was for one year only (a £10 special offer)!
mrlongest offline

Return to General Discussions about TomTom