no sound from internal speaker   

no sound from internal speaker

Postby orgal » Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:29 pm

just turned on my go720 running latest navcore 9.465 and I no longer get sound from internal speaker with any voice...if I go into settings and change to line-out (audio cable) then connect headphone speakers I can hear the voice sound fine through them...have tried loading an old backup onto sd card but just the same...I have checked and sound is turned on in preferences...only thing I can think of is battery does not hold charge and I need to have it plugged into car or pc for it to work...maybe that's the problem?
orgal offline

Postby tendriver » Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:46 am

orgal wrote:1. just turned on my go720 running latest navcore 9.465 and I no longer get sound from internal speaker with any voice...
2. if I go into settings and change to line-out (audio cable) then connect headphone speakers I can hear the voice sound fine through them...
3. have tried loading an old backup onto sd card but just the same...
4. I have checked and sound is turned on in preferences...
5. only thing I can think of is battery does not hold charge and I need to have it plugged into car or pc for it to work...maybe that's the problem?

1. Did you have speaker sound just before the 9.465 upgrade? Did TT Home do the upgrade or did you do a manual upgrade?
2. Is your 720 plugged into your car or pc when doing this?
3. It's not a software issue!!
4. There are 4 things to check in Change preferences. A. Voice Guidance should read "Turn off voice guidance" & have a red icon. B. Make sure you set speaker preference back to internal. C. Check that Volume preferences are set high enuf. D. Sound should read "Turn off sound" & have a red icon.
5. A low battery will cause the unit to turn off it's sound to conserve power. Does the internal speaker function normally when plugged into your car or pc?
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby orgal » Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:14 pm

1 did manual upgrade
2 plugged into pc when I done upgrade
3 not a software issue
4 all points a.b.c.and d are as they should
5 tomtom will not power on now unless connected to pc...so looks like I need to purchase a new battery...

will any 1300mAh battery be ok or are there good makes and bad makes...was just going to buy one from amazon £7.49...cheers
orgal offline

Postby tendriver » Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:49 pm

orgal wrote:will any 1300mAh battery be ok or are there good makes and bad makes...was just going to buy one from amazon £7.49...cheers

Yes, as long as it is compatible with your 720. All of the GO X20, X30 & X40 units use the same battery. They are all made in china. You might also check on ebay for a seller with a very high % positive feedback.

I have attached replacement instructions for you.
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby orgal » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:17 pm

Followed instructions and got battery out...had to heat battery slightly with hair dryer to soften glue a bit then used old credit card to slide under battery to remove it so as not to damage traces on the board...put go 720 back together without battery and found that when I connect to pc I can still update it...also if I connect up in car it works as normal and also all voices are working.:)
orgal offline

Postby Downunder35m » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:52 pm

That is correct and normal, but without a battery a little power problem can cause data corruption if happening while the device is writing data.
Usually a battery does not so flat that the TT shuts off instantly when it was was on charge for a while - even a bad battery.
If your battery was low enough to be damaged it is higly likely that your charging circuit on the TT is damaged too.
A new battery would not be charged.
Forum rules

[Please Register or Login to download file]

If you find broken links or missing attachments in my postings, please send me PM
Password for all my files: downunder
Downunder35m offline

User avatar Elite Member

Return to General Discussions about TomTom