Relating Navcor/Map to GPS receiver   

Relating Navcor/Map to GPS receiver

Postby xose » Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:01 pm

How important is the Navcore ver or the map to the fact that one does or doesn't get a gps signal?

If one doesn't receive a gps signal, why should the navcore or map make a difference?

OK, you need a working navcore and map to get the thing to boot and allow you to go to the GPS Status screen, but once there.....

Sorry if it's a silly question. I'm thinking that, like a TV, if you're antena's pointing in the wrong direction, you can have all the decoders on the plannet, it ain't going to help.

Am I missing the whole "tied in by TT firmware" concept of how these devices work, like if the marriage isn't sanctioned by TT, then the Sirf chip won't do it's job... or some such??

Thanks,
Xose
P.S. Haven't gone as far as a hdd format yet. As a last resort before it's chucked, is it worth having a go at that? Any chance this is a software fault?
xose offline

User avatar Junior Member

Postby tendriver » Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:17 pm

xose wrote:How important is the Navcore ver or the map to the fact that one does or doesn't get a gps signal?

If one doesn't receive a gps signal, why should the navcore or map make a difference?

OK, you need a working navcore and map to get the thing to boot and allow you to go to the GPS Status screen, but once there.....

Sorry if it's a silly question. I'm thinking that, like a TV, if you're antena's pointing in the wrong direction, you can have all the decoders on the plannet, it ain't going to help.

Am I missing the whole "tied in by TT firmware" concept of how these devices work, like if the marriage isn't sanctioned by TT, then the Sirf chip won't do it's job... or some such??

Thanks,
Xose

The map version and/or navcore version do not make any difference, as long as they are compatabile, so the device will boot properly.
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby xose » Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:38 pm

Thanks Tendriver. So, brutal as it is, if my device boots properly, then refuses to get a lock (or even grey finds) hour after hour and looking to be working well (spinning locator graphic etc), all the navcore changes I care to make will make no dif? Bottom line, if I don't get a lock, a navcore change won't help?

The fact that I do get signs of life (the bare minimum in the compass middle circle) probably means very bad reception capabilities?

Put another way, I've probably got a hardware problem on the GPS chip or internal antena?!

OR - as I've been hoping for ages now, is it that the 700's SirfII chip is crap at finding sats after two years in a draw and could take days to find a signal (when the sats orbit overhead again)?

Sorry if these are all abvious questions - but chucking 500+ quid as at 2005 makes me a little recentfull!!

Thanks again,
Xose
P.S. Haven't done a hdd format yet and reinstall. Is it worth it. Any chance this is a s/w fault or am my stating in my posts what is clearly a dead chip/internal antena?
xose offline

Postby tendriver » Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:15 pm

xose wrote:Thanks Tendriver. So, brutal as it is, if my device boots properly, then refuses to get a lock (or even grey finds) hour after hour and looking to be working well (spinning locator graphic etc), all the navcore changes I care to make will make no dif? Bottom line, if I don't get a lock, a navcore change won't help?

The fact that I do get signs of life (the bare minimum in the compass middle circle) probably means very bad reception capabilities?

Put another way, I've probably got a hardware problem on the GPS chip or internal antena?!

OR - as I've been hoping for ages now, is it that the 700's SirfII chip is crap at finding sats after two years in a draw and could take days to find a signal (when the sats orbit overhead again)?

Sorry if these are all abvious questions - but chucking 500+ quid as at 2005 makes me a little recentfull!!

Thanks again,
Xose
P.S. Haven't done a hdd format yet and reinstall. Is it worth it. Any chance this is a s/w fault or am my stating in my posts what is clearly a dead chip/internal antena?

Have you considered trying an extenal gps antenna?
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby xose » Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:47 pm

tendriver wrote:Have you considered trying an extenal gps antenna?

Yes I have. Quite a while back. Went to PCCity (Spanish PC World - did I say I live in North West Spain?) bought one. Stood outside for 15 minutes and nothing. Took it back. At about 70€ I didn't want to end up adding to the £500+ I'd already paid for the thing in 2005.

Having said all that, I have read somewhere recently that the external antena is a power up unit. i.e. takes power from the TT when it's plugged into the mains/car. Is this right? If so, that could be why it did nothing when I just plugged it into the tt700 and stood outside with it for a while.

The good news is that if the external antena is a power on unit, then I could go back and try it again (if ther's still any in the shops these days) as there is a 15 day returns policy here so long as packaging etc is intact. So, will the external antena only work when the TT is being powered up - i.e. not from battery operation ?

Thanks,
Xose
xose offline

Return to General Discussions about TomTom