QuickGPSfix unavailable with map 860.3101...   

QuickGPSfix unavailable with map 860.3101...

Postby mrlongest » Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:04 pm

On my SD card for use with my TT ONE XL model 4S00.000R with BL 5.5128:

Replaced previous Western Europe 835.2419 by latest UK & ROI 860.3101. Kept NC SE 8.204.
The original worked very well in my ONE XL - all expected features present and working. The latest map also works well as expected but with one exception - QuickGPSfix is not available through TTHOME.
Investigations:
1. Using a diifferent SD card in TTHOME obtained todays ephem files and copied into ephem folder in this latest SD card. Latest card now latches onto satellites immediately on switch-on.
2. 'Managing my TT' inside TTHOME revealed that QuickGPSfix is a subscription service with this latest map setup (part of the LIVE service). Also showing that the download file is an .ee file - suggesting to me intended for a srl (?) GPS chip rather than the Hammerhead in my device.
I'm confused as to what to do next.
(A case of a little knowledge is a dangerous thing...?)
Help..
mrlongest offline

Postby tendriver » Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:00 pm

mrlongest wrote:On my SD card for use with my TT ONE XL model 4S00.000R with BL 5.5128:

Replaced previous Western Europe 835.2419 by latest UK & ROI 860.3101. Kept NC SE 8.204.
The original worked very well in my ONE XL - all expected features present and working. The latest map also works well as expected but with one exception - QuickGPSfix is not available through TTHOME.
Investigations:
1. Using a diifferent SD card in TTHOME obtained todays ephem files and copied into ephem folder in this latest SD card. Latest card now latches onto satellites immediately on switch-on.
2. 'Managing my TT' inside TTHOME revealed that QuickGPSfix is a subscription service with this latest map setup (part of the LIVE service). Also showing that the download file is an .ee file - suggesting to me intended for a srl (?) GPS chip rather than the Hammerhead in my device.
I'm confused as to what to do next.
(A case of a little knowledge is a dangerous thing...?)
Help..

QuickGPSfix is a navcore function, not a map function.
1. Confirm these 3 files are in the ephem folder on the card in question. ee_meta.tlv, ee_meta.txt & packedephemeris.ee. If so, you should get updates from this point on.
2. The files have always been .ee
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby pierrepeter » Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:59 pm

I have also been tearing my few remaining strands of hair out over this for days, although I'm rather new to this so may have missed something on the three sites I've been searching, but I don't think so as I seem to have spent days on this. Details of my system below:

Go500
AK***C****
France 860.3101

tendriver wrote:1. Confirm these 3 files are in the ephem folder on the card in question. ee_meta.tlv, ee_meta.txt & packedephemeris.ee. If so, you should get updates from this point on.

Yes, I have these in the 'ephem' folder which is in the root of my SD card and I have placed an 'ephemeris' folder in 'Home/Download/complete' but this is empty. No amount of updating has produced any result. I get the daily map updates when I connect but nothing else.

Anything else I can try?
pierrepeter offline

Postby tendriver » Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:45 pm

Replace the empty ephemeris folder on your pc, with the attached 2 day old one.
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby mrlongest » Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:08 pm

tendriver...
Just the following 3 files are in the ephem folder of the new SD card:
ee_meta.txt
ee_meta.tlv
lto.dat
all dated today,
because I copied them over from another SD card that successfully gets QuickGPSfix from TTHOME. [That older card also uses exactly the same version NC SE 8.204, but with Western Europe 835.2419].
And still TTHOME doesn't 'see' QuickGPSfix on the card with the later map.

The new card was a clone of the earlier card to preserve the NC.. The new card ran in the TT fine. Only then was the map folder replaced. The ttgo.bif file was regenerated by rebooting in the TT ONE XL, and then the new map patched using Autoactivate.

As I said before, the TT runs with that map without any problems - just the annoying failure to get QuickGPSfix updates. The mapshare updates are successful.

???

PS I've just noticed that in point 2. of my first post I say 'Managing my TT'. I should have said 'Operating my TT' ...in TTHOME...Trust that wasn't too confusing...
mrlongest offline

Postby tendriver » Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:03 am

mrlongest wrote:tendriver...
Just the following 3 files are in the ephem folder of the new SD card:
ee_meta.txt
ee_meta.tlv
lto.dat
all dated today,
because I copied them over from another SD card that successfully gets QuickGPSfix from TTHOME. [That older card also uses exactly the same version NC SE 8.204, but with Western Europe 835.2419].
And still TTHOME doesn't 'see' QuickGPSfix on the card with the later map.

The new card was a clone of the earlier card to preserve the NC.. The new card ran in the TT fine. Only then was the map folder replaced. The ttgo.bif file was regenerated by rebooting in the TT ONE XL, and then the new map patched using Autoactivate.

As I said before, the TT runs with that map without any problems - just the annoying failure to get QuickGPSfix updates. The mapshare updates are successful.

???

PS I've just noticed that in point 2. of my first post I say 'Managing my TT'. I should have said 'Operating my TT' ...in TTHOME...Trust that wasn't too confusing...

Go here: C:\Users\Your name\Documents\TomTom\HOME\Download\complete\ephemeris How many folders are in the ephemeris folder?

I have no idea where the ito.dat file came from.
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby pierrepeter » Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:35 am

tendriver wrote:Replace the empty ephemeris folder on your pc, with the attached 2 day old one.

Have just placed 'ephemeris.cab/.png/.toc' into the ephemeris folder and still no updates available, just a Mapshare update!

However, I have noticed that in my 'ephem' folder on my SD card, 'ee_meta.txt' and 'packedephemeris.ee' are both dated 04/08/2102 whereas 'ee_meta.tlv' is dated 27/01/2010. 'QuickGPSfix Data' does appear in 'Manage my GO' in Home as being on my TT, although the description is in German.
pierrepeter offline

Postby tendriver » Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:04 pm

pierrepeter wrote:Have just placed 'ephemeris.cab/.png/.toc' into the ephemeris folder and still no updates available, just a Mapshare update!

However, I have noticed that in my 'ephem' folder on my SD card, 'ee_meta.txt' and 'packedephemeris.ee' are both dated 04/08/2102 whereas 'ee_meta.tlv' is dated 27/01/2010. 'QuickGPSfix Data' does appear in 'Manage my GO' in Home as being on my TT, although the description is in German.

Confirm that you put the QuickGPSfix folder into the ephemeris folder & not the individual files.
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby mrlongest » Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:07 pm

Tendriver
In my HOME\Download\complete\ephemeris folder are 3 folders at the moment (corresponding to the most recent update dates):
QuickGPSfix, QuickGPSfix-1, and QuickGPSfix-2.
Each has 3 files:
Ephemeris.toc, ephemeris.png, and Ephemeris.cab.
All those updates were produced by an earlier SD card (possibly not a relevant one to this problem), not the latest one (where I've the problem).

Before we both go off on a ‘wild goose chase’, let me put my problem again, hopefully more clearly.
My old card: TTHOME recognises and updates QuickGPSfix as a free service.
My new card: TTHOME recognises only that QuickGPSfix is a subscription service, not available for free. The evidence for that is that in ‘Operating my device’ onscreen the simulated menus show QuickGPSfix as a sub-menu of the LIVE services.
Both cards use the same navcore. The only known difference is the different map folders, and the associated file changes in the root.
Does that help clarify my problem and query: how do I fool TTHOME into accepting my new card as eligible for free QuickGPSfix updates?

I’ve just re-visited TTHOME with my new card. Looking further into the ‘Operating my device’ menus reveals that QuickGPSfix is actually a submenu of ‘TomTom Services’ – don’t know where ‘LIVE services came from! And clicking upon the QuickGPSfix option in that submenu actually produced a downloading progress screen. The end result is that ‘Manage my ONE XL’ now lists QuickGPSfix as updated.
And checking in Windows on my PC reveals two new files in the card’s ephem folder: ee_meta.txt, and packedephemeris.ee.
Switching-on my ONE XL with the new card inserted, it took well over 2 minutes to get a GPS fix. Clearly my ONE XL can’t deal with those two new files, which I understand can only be used by different GPS chipped devices. My query remains: how do I fool TTHOME into accepting my new card as eligible for the appropriate free QuickGPSfix updates?

Further information:
Repeating the above performance with my old card in TTHOME revealed that exactly the same menu options appeared and the same inappropriate QuickGPSfix was downloaded…
Does this mean I’m on a ‘wild goose chase’ with these simulated menus in TTHOME?
Is there another diagnosis that makes sense?
I'd like to understand what's going on so the problem can be sorted.
mrlongest offline

Postby mrlongest » Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:22 pm

tendriver
QuickGPSfix:
TT models that use the SiRF Star III chipset use the packedephemeris.ee file.
TT models that use the Global Hammerhead chipset use the ito.dat file instead.
At least that's what I've learned from various TomTom online forums...!
My ONE XL uses the Hammerhead chipset...
mrlongest offline

Postby pierrepeter » Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:53 pm

tendriver wrote:Confirm that you put the QuickGPSfix folder into the ephemeris folder & not the individual files.

Confirmed; in fact I tried three options - replaced ephemeris with QuickGPSfix-197 as stated in your original post - placed QuickGPSfix into ephemeris - placed the three files directly into ephemeris. None of the three worked.

Below are the screenprints of the two folders and what Home tells me;

Maybe some pictures will say a thousand words!
pierrepeter offline

Postby tendriver » Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:35 pm

mrlongest wrote:tendriver
QuickGPSfix:
TT models that use the SiRF Star III chipset use the packedephemeris.ee file.
TT models that use the Global Hammerhead chipset use the ito.dat file instead.
At least that's what I've learned from various TomTom online forums...!
My ONE XL uses the Hammerhead chipset...

I clearly understood your problem the first time.
I told you to not stop asking question, because often we learn from them. This is one of those times. I looked thru our archives, and this is the first time this issue has been posted. Cut all 3 QuickGPSfix folders from the PC ephemeris folder. Also remove the files from the device ephem folder. Close & restart TT Home & your one xl. Run "update my unit".
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby pierrepeter » Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:58 pm

tendriver wrote:Cut all 3 QuickGPSfix folders from the PC ephemeris folder. Also remove the files from the device ephem folder. Close & restart TT Home & your one xl. Run "update my unit".

I had tried this before but did it again and again no joy! Only difference is that Home no longer shows QuickGPSfix as being on my unit. Has anyone ever had QuickGPSfix running on a GO500? And if so, with which Navcore?
pierrepeter offline

Postby mrlongest » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:17 pm

Tendriver
Tried that - no change - still no mention in TTHOME of any Quickgpsfix update being available. The ephem folders remain empty.

Don't know if there's any clue in something else I discovered. The ttgo.bif file has been altered (by TTHOME 'Operating...' ?) to list:
DeviceName=TomTom GO 520
DeviceVersionHW=GO 520
Whereas previously it showed
DeviceName=TomTom ONE XL
DeviceVersionHW=ONE XL
as in my old card.

Also the TomTom ONE XL on-screen “Current Configuration” info says:
Current Emulation: x40
BT: 1
TTS: on
Run in Save RAM Mode
Remove additional Files
Cleaning disabled
Delete old TMC Data
(Where does that info come from?)

I'm now really 'out-of-my-depth' now. I thought x40 means a GO x40 emulation. But TTHOME says it's a GO 520 unit = x20!
I'll stop 'muddying the waters' anymore and await your further advice...
mrlongest offline

Postby tendriver » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:27 pm

pierrepeter wrote:I had tried this before but did it again and again no joy! Only difference is that Home no longer shows QuickGPSfix as being on my unit. Has anyone ever had QuickGPSfix running on a GO500? And if so, with which Navcore?

I have been researching this for a couple of hours. The only consistent fix is deleting all folders in the ephemeris folder & deleting the files in the ephem folder. Reboot & run the TT Home update. I know you have tried this more than once.
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Next

Return to General Discussions about TomTom