Program to run checkdisk on TomTom reboot   

Program to run checkdisk on TomTom reboot

Postby pqt » Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:55 pm

The other day, my TT XL330S (upped to N8.562,emu x40) was acting up. Rebooting did not help, only the start screen came up and stayed frozen there.
Once I got home and plugged it into my PC, I found there were lots of errors on the internal memory, which prevented the device to run.
What I would like to know is if there is some utilty like Windows chkdsk that we can load onto the OS of the TT that would do an automatic error correction on reboot so that the device can operate?
pqt offline

Postby tendriver » Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:09 pm

pqt wrote:The other day, my TT XL330S (upped to N8.562,emu x40) was acting up. Rebooting did not help, only the start screen came up and stayed frozen there.
Once I got home and plugged it into my PC, I found there were lots of errors on the internal memory, which prevented the device to run.
What I would like to know is if there is some utilty like Windows chkdsk that we can load onto the OS of the TT that would do an automatic error correction on reboot so that the device can operate?

I don't know of any util. that you can load onto the OS. Closest thing is the TomTom Clear Flash Tool. Take a look at djc151084's post on this.

http://www.navitotal.com/forums/showthread.php?1914-TomTom-Clear-Flash-Tool
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby pqt » Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:21 pm

tendriver wrote:I don't know of any util. that you can load onto the OS. Closest thing is the TomTom Clear Flash Tool. Take a look at djc151084's post on this.

http://www.navitotal.com/forums/showthread.php?1914-TomTom-Clear-Flash-Tool

Thx tendriver, but I think the CFT is not what I need. It sounds more like a formatting tool and can not run automatically on the TT reboot to correct errors like Windows chkdsk. I wonder if there is some genious coder lurking in this forum who could program something like that :)
pqt offline

Postby djc151084 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:16 pm

pqt wrote:Thx tendriver, but I think the CFT is not what I need. It sounds more like a formatting tool and can not run automatically on the TT reboot to correct errors like Windows chkdsk. I wonder if there is some genious coder lurking in this forum who could program something like that :)

TomTom Clear Flash Tool , is NOT a formatting tool, you will NOT loose ANY FILES or SETTINGS using this tool all it does is empty the devices flash memory as this can get full and cloggd up ;)

You can run a checkdisk and fix any errors easy on the tomtom internal drive or any removable drive

• Open CMD
  • Type [color="RoyalBlue"]chkdsk X: /f [/color]
    (X being the drive of the tomtom in explorer)
djc151084 offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby eskro » Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:22 pm

[color="Red"]try this utility then --> [Please Register or Login to download file]

it will fix the errors that can be found on the disk and locates the bad sectors and recovers readable information.[/color]
1.[color="red"] Engine[/color] [color="blue"]=[/color] iGO 8.3.4.102680
2. [color="red"]Maps[/color] [color="blue"]=[/color] NavteQ 2010.Q4 North America
3. [color="red"]Pois[/color] [color="blue"]=[/color] Tele Atlas Premium 2010.06 North America
4. [color="red"]Skin[/color] [color="blue"]=[/color] Choup 6.9c EUR+
5. [color="red"]Voice[/color] [color="blue"]=[/color] TTS Juliette 2.9 f1hmq-Mikado
6. [color="red"]3D Buildings[/color] [color="blue"]=[/color] NNG 2008.02 North America
7. [color="red"]3D Landmarks[/color] [color="blue"]=[/color] NNG 2009.09 North America
8. [color="red"]3D Terrain[/color] [color="blue"]=[/color] NNG North America
eskro offline

User avatar Premium Member

Postby djc151084 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:30 pm

No need for extra programs as i said you can use windows command prompt (CMD) works fine ;)

eskro wrote:[color="Red"]try this utility then --> [Please Register or Login to download file]

it will fix the errors that can be found on the disk and locates the bad sectors and recovers readable information.[/color]
djc151084 offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby pqt » Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:33 pm

djc151084 wrote:TomTom Clear Flash Tool , is NOT a formatting tool, you will NOT loose ANY FILES or SETTINGS using this tool all it does is empty the devices flash memory as this can get full and cloggd up ;)

You can run a checkdisk and fix any errors easy on the tomtom internal drive or any removable drive

• Open CMD
  • Type [color="RoyalBlue"]chkdsk X: /f [/color]
    (X being the drive of the tomtom in explorer)

Thx for the clarification djc. I know how to use chkdsk, but my point is when my TT acted up on the road, I don't have a PC around to plug it in and correct the errors. The correction program needs to reside in the device itself and auto-correct the errors (probably cross-linked files) on reboot, just like a PC does.
pqt offline

Postby djc151084 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:36 pm

pqt wrote:Thx for the clarification djc. I know how to use chkdsk, but my point is when my TT acted up on the road, I don't have a PC around to plug it in and correct the errors. The correction program needs to reside in the device itself and auto-correct the errors (probably cross-linked files) on reboot, just like a PC does.

Sounds like to me you need to empty the devices flash memory so run the TomTom Clear Flash tool this should prevent any freezes for quite some time, you should not have to run the chkdsk all the time, You will not loose any files or settings running the clear flash tool
djc151084 offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby eskro » Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:38 pm

correct and there is no such app that reside in the device itself and auto-correct the errors,,,,

you shouldnt need to also.....

best bet is to follow what Djc suggested...
1.[color="red"] Engine[/color] [color="blue"]=[/color] iGO 8.3.4.102680
2. [color="red"]Maps[/color] [color="blue"]=[/color] NavteQ 2010.Q4 North America
3. [color="red"]Pois[/color] [color="blue"]=[/color] Tele Atlas Premium 2010.06 North America
4. [color="red"]Skin[/color] [color="blue"]=[/color] Choup 6.9c EUR+
5. [color="red"]Voice[/color] [color="blue"]=[/color] TTS Juliette 2.9 f1hmq-Mikado
6. [color="red"]3D Buildings[/color] [color="blue"]=[/color] NNG 2008.02 North America
7. [color="red"]3D Landmarks[/color] [color="blue"]=[/color] NNG 2009.09 North America
8. [color="red"]3D Terrain[/color] [color="blue"]=[/color] NNG North America
eskro offline

User avatar Premium Member

Postby pqt » Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:50 pm

djc151084 wrote:Sounds like to me you need to empty the devices flash memory so run the TomTom Clear Flash tool this should prevent any freezes for quite some time, you should not have to run the chkdsk all the time, You will not loose any files or settings running the clear flash tool

Thanx.I'll give it a try and keep my fingers crossed (no pun intended :) )
pqt offline

Postby pqt » Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:51 pm

pqt wrote:Thanx.I'll give it a try and keep my fingers crossed (no pun intended :) )

Sadly, I have to report the Clear Flash Tool is NOT working for me and in fact was causing more errors. This is what I did:
-Run chkdisk on the TT ----> No errors found.
-Run CFT . Chkdsk again -----> ERRORS (converted to lost files)
Repeat 3 times. Same results.
:(
pqt offline

Postby pqt » Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:11 am

tendriver wrote:I refer you to post 7 for the last time.

I already use the switchfiles. They do nothing for my problem:scratch_one-s_head_
pqt offline

Postby Downunder35m » Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:54 am

With errors on your memory the switchfiles won't help.
First you must be sure the memory is working and you don't get any more lost files or errors.
Since you still have filesystem errors I suggest to format your memory using the [Please Register or Login to download file] .
It says for SD cards but works well on other media too. And it formats correctly not like Windows ;)
Select the correct drive letter and under option select format type "full erase off" the rest can stay as it is.
After clicking on format your memory will be completely rewritten including new filetables.
After that put your Navcore and map back on and try if it works without more errors in checkdisk.
If all works fine check the switchfiles and adjust to your needs.
Forum rules

[Please Register or Login to download file]

If you find broken links or missing attachments in my postings, please send me PM
Password for all my files: downunder
Downunder35m offline

User avatar Elite Member

Postby pqt » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:54 am

Downunder35m wrote:With errors on your memory the switchfiles won't help.
First you must be sure the memory is working and you don't get any more lost files or errors.
Since you still have filesystem errors I suggest to format your memory using the [Please Register or Login to download file] .
It says for SD cards but works well on other media too. And it formats correctly not like Windows ;)
Select the correct drive letter and under option select format type "full erase off" the rest can stay as it is.
After clicking on format your memory will be completely rewritten including new filetables.
After that put your Navcore and map back on and try if it works without more errors in checkdisk.
If all works fine check the switchfiles and adjust to your needs.

Thanx for the link.
There are 2 versions on their site: 2 and 3 (beta). do you have any advice which one I should use (my TT only has internal memory , no SD)?
pqt offline

Return to General Discussions about TomTom