power problem tomtom 0ne   

power problem tomtom 0ne

Postby redband » Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:21 pm

hi all i have a mates tt one it will not start up i put it on mains charger green charging light comes on, left it charging for 4 hours and still nothing, my question is if the battery is totally knackered the tomtom still wouldn't be able to start on the mains power lead, true or false.

iam thinking of replacing the battery but don't to waste money if its a problem with the main board

any help please
redband offline

Postby djc151084 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:44 pm

redband wrote:hi all i have a mates tt one it will not start up i put it on mains charger green charging light comes on, left it charging for 4 hours and still nothing, my question is if the battery is totally knackered the tomtom still wouldn't be able to start on the mains power lead, true or false.

iam thinking of replacing the battery but don't to waste money if its a problem with the main board

any help please

What version tt one is it ? , Does it have a small pin hole reset button underneath, if so plug into usb then hold reset for 30 seconds then hold the on button for 5 seconds (You should get a black config screen) Press reset once then turn on as normall and it should connect direct to your pc ?
djc151084 offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby tendriver » Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:51 pm

redband wrote:hi all i have a mates tt one it will not start up i put it on mains charger green charging light comes on, left it charging for 4 hours and still nothing, my question is if the battery is totally knackered the tomtom still wouldn't be able to start on the mains power lead, true or false.

any help please

The green light only means that the unit is getting power. It will not connect to a computer when plugged in to it?????
If the unit will not start using external power, you might try a hard reset.
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby redband » Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:58 pm

its a tomtomone new edition v3 i only have mains charger for it , it has sd card. tried hard reset no power or config screen

sd card works fine in card reader and tomtom home, thats why i think its the battery, question first post
redband offline

Postby djc151084 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:16 pm

redband wrote:its a tomtomone new edition v3 i only have mains charger for it , it has sd card. tried hard reset no power or config screen

sd card works fine in card reader and tomtom home, thats why i think its the battery, question first post

If the hard reset i described above does not work then it could be a battery problem but i am not 100% shure about this, it could be something more serious,
djc151084 offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby redband » Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:29 pm

thanks it might be time for a gamble, it would be my mates gamble for new battery at £10 or send to tomtom lots of money.
redband offline

Postby Downunder35m » Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:03 am

It is quite common that you can get broken solder connections where the charger/USB cord goes into your TT.
Sometimes the contacs are broken off sometimes the solder points on the circuit board are broken and need to be re soldered again.
There is also the possibility that you have a burnt out diode on the circuit board.
You have to open the device and check all, even with a dead battery the device will turn on when connected to power, so you definately have a hardware problem somewhere.
Forum rules

[Please Register or Login to download file]

If you find broken links or missing attachments in my postings, please send me PM
Password for all my files: downunder
Downunder35m offline

User avatar Elite Member

Postby redband » Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:36 pm

decided totry downunders advise and have a look at the circuit board.
:) you are not going to beleive it, took tomtom apart check circuit board it looked okay to my so i checked the on/ off switchand noticed that when i press it down it came away from circuit board,i used a hot glue gun and glued it back into place.
reassembled tomtom and it fired up first time,how good is that.

please close the thread and mark as solved
redband offline

Postby Downunder35m » Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:41 pm

As long as it works for you it's fine, but if the solder points for the switch are broken and you don't resolder them the hot glue will give way on the first hot day in summer....
Anyway it is good that you found the problem!
Forum rules

[Please Register or Login to download file]

If you find broken links or missing attachments in my postings, please send me PM
Password for all my files: downunder
Downunder35m offline

User avatar Elite Member

Postby tendriver » Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:50 pm

tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Return to General Discussions about TomTom