Is it possible to get a smaller map for an older Tomtom?   

Is it possible to get a smaller map for an older Tomtom?

Postby MRU21 » Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:08 pm

I have a question about using an older TomTom with new maps
If what I am asking is not possible, simply due to age and technical limitations, I can accept that. I just hate not trying to not discard kit that works.

I have a TomTom Rider 3, sometimes known as the Urban or Pro.
It comes with choice of European map regions which I can switch between using a PC however as the internal memory has not been large enough for newer maps for some time, TT discontinued support for this and similar models a while ago.
The unit works fine, I think the clock might be out as part of the GPS rollover week but that is not a major issue, it plots my position correctly on roads it knows and navigates me to established roads.
I only need a map of the UK for this bike, does anyone know of new one that could be loaded that is small enough for the installed memory? I dont really understand much about Navcore and stuff but have put some info at the bottom of this post if that helps you help me.
We're doing a number of medical/pharmacy related deliveries in the current pandemic so up to date roads, postcodes etc would be helpful. I assume also that I would need to update these every few months or so but even a one time update would be very helpful.
Retaining the ability to link via bluetooth to a headset and mobile phone would also be useful but we can live without the latter if required and both if absolutely necessary.
There is no card slot option on this model for those not familiar with it and it links to TomTom Home. The Unit still receives GPS fast fix updates each week when I connect it.
I tried Tyre on my PC but for some reason it didn't work and I really need something "normal" that I can just put an address into when I receive the call to go somewhere...

I'm not terribly technical but can follow a process if it is clear.
I would like to back this unit up prior to making any "off grid" changes as, if they dont work, out of date mapping is better than none.
I am still able to change between Europe "South" "West" and "North" via the PC as these are stored on my hard drive, old, but still there....

Thank you very much

Model 4GC01
AK7SG ASFTA (5007 dated 2/7/2010)
App 9.205.547817.1 OS547200
64MB Ram (free 21.5 MB)
GPS v1.20 Boot 5.5250
Map UK&RoI v845.2645
Language English UK

I think the onboard memory is 2GB. I dont know if the date above is US or European format, I suspect the latter)
MRU21 offline

Re: Is it possible to get a smaller map for an older Tomtom?

Postby fredderf » Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:10 pm

Yes, you can update your device with the latest UK & ROI map as it's less than 300MB so no problems there and the clock issue will be fixed, more about that later...

To back up, enable 'Show all files & folders' option in Windows Explorer and copy ALL of the contents of the drive to a safe place on your PC. You will also need WinRAR (version 5.0 minimum) installed on your PC if it's not already.

1. Temporarily turn off your anti-virus and download [Please Register or Login to download file]
2. In Windows Explorer, locate & delete the old map folder from your device
3. Extract the archive you downloaded from step 1. to the root of your device (this includes an advanced UK & ROI map, the latest SpeedCams files, the necessary FastActivate files & the clock fix)
4. Locate & open FastActivate.exe on your device and select option 2 to activate the map...when that is successful select option 3...when that is successful close FastActivate
5. If all went well, disconnect the device from the PC and test...and then turn your anti-virus back on.

You can download the latest postcodes from here: topic21747.html

Job done
fredderf offline

Administrator

Postby MRU21 » Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:38 am

Thank you for trying to help.
I followed the link to the GoFile page and it says "This upload does not exist". I've tried a few times.
If it was only there for a short period of time, I am away from my computer quite a bit (days at a time) so short windows of opportunity don't work for me but if it should still be there, am I doing something wrong?

Is there an alternative location for this file?

Thank you.
MRU21 offline

Postby fredderf » Sun Aug 02, 2020 2:57 pm

You logged in 3 days after my last message so you should've downloaded the file then...

Anyway, I'll upload it one last time to another site which is slower but it should last a bit longer...[Please Register or Login to download file]
fredderf offline

Administrator

Postby robmcc83 » Sat Aug 22, 2020 1:35 pm

Could i also use this method for a tomtom one 3rd edition running navcore 9.541

This only has 512mb

Thanks
robmcc83 offline

Postby fredderf » Sat Aug 22, 2020 2:17 pm

robmcc83 wrote:Could i also use this method for a tomtom one 3rd edition running navcore 9.541

This only has 512mb

Yes you can providing your NC 9.541 has a built in swap file.

Devices with only 32MB RAM (like yours) have problems when using advanced maps which are only supposed to be used on 64MB devices.
fredderf offline

Administrator

Return to General Discussions about TomTom