Poor speaker quality on Go730   

Poor speaker quality on Go730

Postby Hotpants » Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:02 am

Hi folks, I finally have my 730 up and running with the latest maps etc. One thing that disappoints me is the sound quality through the internal speaker, which is very tinny. I'm using the standard Kate UK Loquendo voice, so I get the street names read out etc.

I would like to play the warnings over my car speakers if possible. I have read the instruction manual and several forums etc but with no joy. In the Tomtom 'speaker preferences' options, I have chosen:
Play instructions using Bluetooth Hi-Fi device
Play music using FM to your car radio (which I dont do, but have the SD card capacity to do so if it works!)
I have tuned my radio into a spare frequency, and heard the Tomtom drums over the car speakers, but it goes no further. I put in the standard passworde of 0000, but nothing works, and it refuses to pair.

My phone is a Nokia 6021 (it's an old phone, but it works!), attached to a Nokia CK-7W car kit. The phone works fine with the car kit, as long as the ignition is on.

I know I could probably use the Aux socket in the car and hook a lead up to the Tomtom, but that would cut off the radio totally. I was hoping that the radio would work, with directions given through the car speakers as and when.

Is this setup possible? :doh:

Regards

Hotpants
Hotpants offline

User avatar Member

Postby djc151084 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:08 am

You can not play instructions through the radio unless your radio is a bluetooth radio or you use the line out function , trying to play through a phone connected to the radio is not an option ;)

Hotpants wrote:Hi folks, I finally have my 730 up and running with the latest maps etc. One thing that disappoints me is the sound quality through the internal speaker, which is very tinny. I'm using the standard Kate UK Loquendo voice, so I get the street names read out etc.

I would like to play the warnings over my car speakers if possible. I have read the instruction manual and several forums etc but with no joy. In the Tomtom 'speaker preferences' options, I have chosen:
Play instructions using Bluetooth Hi-Fi device
Play music using FM to your car radio (which I dont do, but have the SD card capacity to do so if it works!)
I have tuned my radio into a spare frequency, and heard the Tomtom drums over the car speakers, but it goes no further. I put in the standard passworde of 0000, but nothing works, and it refuses to pair.

My phone is a Nokia 6021 (it's an old phone, but it works!), attached to a Nokia CK-7W car kit. The phone works fine with the car kit, as long as the ignition is on.

I know I could probably use the Aux socket in the car and hook a lead up to the Tomtom, but that would cut off the radio totally. I was hoping that the radio would work, with directions given through the car speakers as and when.

Is this setup possible? :doh:

Regards

Hotpants
djc151084 offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby Hotpants » Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:16 am

djc151084 wrote:You can not play instructions through the radio unless your radio is a bluetooth radio or you use the line out function , trying to play through a phone connected to the radio is not an option ;)

That's that one sorted then LOL. Thanks for the speedy response as ever - much appreciated. Unfortunately, the radio has no bluetooth :doh:
Hotpants offline

User avatar Member

Postby djc151084 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:02 am

Hotpants wrote:That's that one sorted then LOL. Thanks for the speedy response as ever - much appreciated. Unfortunately, the radio has no bluetooth :doh:

Radio bluetooth units are very cheap these days you should get one for less than 50 GBP :)
djc151084 offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby Hotpants » Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:14 pm

Hotpants wrote:That's that one sorted then LOL. Thanks for the speedy response as ever - much appreciated. Unfortunately, the radio has no bluetooth :doh:

Hmm, interesting :). For some reason, the line out does not work. I pliugged the cable I normally use on my MP3 in the car into the Aux socket, but no matter what settings I choose on the 730, the (tinny) sound still comes from the unit and not through the speakers. Grrrrr:mad:

Cheers

Hotpants
Hotpants offline

User avatar Member

Postby djc151084 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:12 pm

Have you got the speaker settings set to the correct settings ? You could try a diffrent navcore as sometimes if you use a navcore not intended for your device you have to comprimise some features

Hotpants wrote:Hmm, interesting :). For some reason, the line out does not work. I pliugged the cable I normally use on my MP3 in the car into the Aux socket, but no matter what settings I choose on the 730, the (tinny) sound still comes from the unit and not through the speakers. Grrrrr:mad:

Cheers

Hotpants
djc151084 offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby Downunder35m » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:07 am

I had the problem before and after playing with the speaker settings I noticed that the instructions come over Lineout too when FM is selected.
Might be a bug but when you tsest it let the cable connected or use some headphones for a qiuck test.
Forum rules

[Please Register or Login to download file]

If you find broken links or missing attachments in my postings, please send me PM
Password for all my files: downunder
Downunder35m offline

User avatar Elite Member

Postby Hotpants » Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:09 am

djc151084 wrote:Have you got the speaker settings set to the correct settings ? You could try a diffrent navcore as sometimes if you use a navcore not intended for your device you have to comprimise some features

Hi, it is the right navcore for the 730 (8.412) although it is a patched version and not an original. I'll have a play with the settings and see if I can get it working.

Cheers

Hotpants
Hotpants offline

User avatar Member

Postby Hotpants » Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:10 am

Downunder35m wrote:I had the problem before and after playing with the speaker settings I noticed that the instructions come over Lineout too when FM is selected.
Might be a bug but when you tsest it let the cable connected or use some headphones for a qiuck test.

Thanks for that - I will have a play with the settings. Is the 730 normally associated with tinny sound? The blurb says it is a high quality audio!

Regards

Hotpants
Hotpants offline

User avatar Member

Postby djc151084 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:13 am

Latest officiall navcore for your device is 8.351 and not the 8.412 which you are using, altho i do reccommend 9.026 or 9.051 for your device

Hotpants wrote:Hi, it is the right navcore for the 730 (8.412) although it is a patched version and not an original. I'll have a play with the settings and see if I can get it working.

Cheers

Hotpants
djc151084 offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby tendriver » Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:13 am

Hotpants wrote: Is the 730 normally associated with tinny sound? The blurb says it is a high quality audio!

My 720 does not have a "tinny sound".
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby djc151084 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:14 am

tendriver wrote:My 720 does not have a "tinny sound".

mine does when turend up on max volume the sound is crap so i use it at 80% volume and it is gr8 :)
djc151084 offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby tendriver » Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:17 am

Hotpants wrote:Hi, it is the right navcore for the 730 (8.412) although it is a patched version and not an original. I'll have a play with the settings and see if I can get it working.

Cheers

Hotpants

The current official navcore for a 730 is 8.351. 8.412 is an XL navcore.

djc151084 wrote:mine does when turend up on max volume the sound is crap so i use it at 80% volume and it is gr8 :)

I'm at 70%, but not because of bad sound.
tendriver offline

User avatar Ex Super Mod

Postby Hotpants » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:13 pm

djc151084 wrote:Latest officiall navcore for your device is 8.351 and not the 8.412 which you are using, altho i do reccommend 9.026 or 9.051 for your device

Sorry djc, you are quite correct - my apologies. I was lookingb at the supported versions and not the official. I've downloaded 9.051 as per tendriver's comments previously, and will give it a go.

Thanks again for the advice :clapping_mini:

Hotpants
Hotpants offline

User avatar Member

Postby djc151084 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:19 pm

Ok let us know how you get on ;)

Hotpants wrote:Sorry djc, you are quite correct - my apologies. I was lookingb at the supported versions and not the official. I've downloaded 9.051 as per tendriver's comments previously, and will give it a go.

Thanks again for the advice :clapping_mini:

Hotpants
djc151084 offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Next

Return to General Discussions about TomTom