poor reception on navigo V2 running TT7   

poor reception on navigo V2 running TT7

Postby xted » Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:35 pm

Hi all

I have an old navigo V2 running TT7, problem is, since I got a new Citroen with a UV windscreen, I cant get it to log in. I have had some success putting the mount on the side window rather than the windscreen but it was still sporadic & keeps dropping out.
Someone suggested I plug something into the headphone socket which seems to have made it slightly better reception wise but obviously I can't hear the directions.

My question is, does anyone know of a way to improve reception in this situation, can I get an ariel or change the settings in some way.

Any advice gratefully recieved.

Great forum btw :)
xted offline

Postby Fatboyfun » Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:37 pm

If the device has an external aerial socket then yes, if not then no, but some uv filtered windscreens have a section of clear glass for satnavs.
Fatboyfun offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby xted » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:44 pm

it just has the tmc ariel socket & the headphone socket.
I bought a new unit last month from ebuyer and it logged in fine & everything was great except for the sound being too low to hear so it had to go back. I tried an external speaker on it but the white noise was terrible so I'm kind of resigned to having to buy another new unit.

I just need a basic unit that I can load tt7 on to with a volume that is good & loud. Any reccomendations?

Many thanks for the reply

edit: the windscreen does have a clear spot but its for smart cards for road tolls etc & it's right behind the rear view mirror :(
xted offline

Postby Fatboyfun » Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:02 pm

It's an old device but i would recommend the Navman S50, It runs Tomtom 7 and iGO Primo perfectly, It's nice and loud, has a 480x272 widescreen AND most importantly has an external GPS aerial socket.
Currently sleeping...
Fatboyfun offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby xted » Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:38 pm

Many thanks for the advice, I'll have a look arouind & see if I can pick one up.
xted offline

Postby Fatboyfun » Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:29 pm

If you get one please note they (and all Moov based devices) need to be unlocked correctly or you will lose USB access which means it's very likely to be bricked.

If you are unsure what to do, please ask first.
Currently sleeping...
Fatboyfun offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby xted » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:12 pm

I hadn't thought of that, If I end up getting one I will definately get your advice before I touch it.
Thanks again :)
xted offline

Postby Fatboyfun » Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:42 am

No problem :)
Fatboyfun offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby xted » Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:54 pm

I've just seen a Mio Navman Moov M315 on sale for £35 its got the sirf 3 chipset rather than the sirf 2 chipset my current one has, and the one I sent back for being too quiet had the 3 chipset & logged in ok through the uv screen. Can this one be unlocked & run TT7? and can you talk me through doing it?
I'll wait to hear back before I go & buy it

Many thanks :)
xted offline

Postby Fatboyfun » Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:32 pm

I have the M400 and it does run Tomtom 7 ok, I've never tried myself with the M315 although i believe it works on the M300.

Points to note:
A lot of the MXXX series do not have card slots (M400 included) just having 2GB of internal memory of which some will be taken with the SmartST_CE software it ships with, You can't remove it either as it can cause problems.

These Moov devices MUST be unlocked correctly (easier than it sounds) or USB connection problems and endless reboot loops can occur.

My M400 is the only device i have that picks up a GPS signal INSIDE my house so the reception is excellent.

There will be no external GPS aerial socket, or headphone socket, and any bluetooth/tmc hardware only works with the original software.

Mine has a weird air filled screen protecter fitted which makes typing a bit hit and miss sometimes.

Other than that these are great devices. As always i suggest doing some research before purchase just in case of issues with other software.
Fatboyfun offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby xted » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:25 am

Thanks for the info on that, the sound was way too low again even on max volume & Without any external sockets at all it was no good for me, even though it was a good price.

I'm keeping an eye out for any deals that come up & thanks for all your help on this
xted offline

Postby Fatboyfun » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:53 am

Did you try Tomtom? as i find the SmartST_CE software is quieter than both Tomtom and iGO, My M400 can be heard while travelling in a van at 70MPH with the radio on.
Fatboyfun offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Postby xted » Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:57 pm

no i didn't take it away from the shop so I couldn't load tom tom on, but it never occured to me that the different software would be at different volumes, I thought it was juat a matter of how big the speaker was. - I'll bear that in mind for the next attempt :)
xted offline

Postby xted » Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:58 pm

OK I found a Harman Kardon GPS-500 Guide + Play for 50 pounds, I haven't ordered it yet, but it looks like a contender. Do you know if these need unlocking & can they run TT7?

many thanks
xted offline

Postby Fatboyfun » Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:11 pm

I will look into it...
Fatboyfun offline

User avatar Ex Moderator

Next

Return to General Discussions about TomTom